Minelab Equinox 800 Prospecting Mode

Just a thought while minelab is still working on software adding a follow the black sand feature like the whites GMT. I have used my GMT with that feature a lot to locate area's to dry wash. One area was a area that was a using a knudsen bowl for clean up for a large placer operation. I didn't know exactly where the machine location was  but i know there would be a concentration of black sand where the machine was working. I  pumped the coil up and down watching the numbers  30's,40's then 60+   Bingo.  Knowing if you feed to fast or too much water your going to loose gold, I dry washed the the high number area and found good amount of gold for the dirt I ran. The numbers work a lot better for prospecting than a bar graph. If minelab is reading this that would be another selling point and useful tool.

Not a bad idea Dain but I would not hold my breath on that one. Of all the suggestions Minelab has received I am betting yours might be the only one mentioning this particular function. You never know unless you try though and tossing ideas like this out there sure can’t hurt!

I've already asked this in another thread but seemed more appropriate to ask here...Is the prospecting mode on the E800 a multi freq mode or can it be selected as such? Would there be any advantage to it being MF? The E-TRAC seems to ignore mineralization very well compared to VLF but is not good on small gold jewelry. So, I'm wondering if the proper frequencies were used in MF (Multi IQ), would it be less suseptible to mineralization and more sensitive to small gold? 

I couldn't find this info anywhere yet on the E800 " Gold Mode". Thanks!

Dean

Like you say, there is no information out yet from any source I have seen about the Gold Mode. We know the E800 will have the ability to enable single frequency 20 kHz and 40 kHz operation that will be lacking on the E600, but that’s it. We also know there will be different multifrequency modes available. So far the story has been that a single frequency can deliver more punch on a specific target range than multifrequency, and until we know more about how Multi-IQ works I assume that is still true.

This is just one quote on the subject but many can be found. From John Plautz, Multifrequency Design Engineer at White’s Electronics - “Multi-frequency units have the advantage of good depth and target ID over a wide range of targets. Single frequency units have the advantage of all of the transmit energy being concentrated at the given frequency, giving the user very good depth for specific types of targets.”

From the same link above, Carl Moreland, now Engineering Manager at First Texas Products (Bounty Hunter, Fisher, Teknetics) - “In specialized hunting, SF detectors can often beat out MF detectors. That’s because you can highly optimize the SF design for particular situations, But then that same SF design works poorly in other situations. An MF design can be made to work very well in many kinds of hunting, so you can buy one MF detector instead of a half-dozen SF detectors.”

The whole point of having different modes and frequency options is to be better able to tackle different mixes of ground and trash/targets. Part of the fun with Equinox will be discovering what modes work best under which situations. Just because the modes have names and are intended for certain situations does not mean you can’t use any mode you want to do anything you want. It may be the Field Mode works better than the Gold Mode for certain prospecting needs, for example. My expectation knowing what I know about how frequencies and targets react is that a specifically tuned high frequency will have an advantage on the smallest gold, whereas a multifrequency mode might better handle looking for gold nuggets in an exceptionally trashy location. Until production units hit the field and are use by multiple parties under varied conditions this is however just speculation on my part.