Equinox 800 Search Modes - Four Detectors In One?

The information here is derived from commentary by Minelab representatives in this video...

plus from these prior threads....

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/4303-minelab-equinox-multi-iq-and-search-modes/

and

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/4488-minelab-equinox-multi-iq-technology-part-2/

minelab-equinox-800-lcd-display-closeup-controls.jpg

minelab-equinox-800-600-comparison.jpg

For starters it is stated both the Equinox 600 and Equinox 800 feature Park, Field, and Beach hunt modes, that correspond to the three icons shown on the Equinox 800 screen above. Each mode has two saved settings options “1” and “2”. The Equinox 800 offers a fourth mode, the Gold mode, that the Equinox 600 lacks. It is stated that 20 kHz and 40 kHz are not available as single operating frequencies in Equinox 600. The Multi-IQ frequency range (5, 10, 15, 20, and 40 kHz) applies to both Equinox model multifrequency modes.

minelab-equinox-multi-iq-metal-detector-technology.jpg
"20 kHz and 40 kHz are not available as single operating frequencies in EQUINOX 600. The Multi-IQ frequency range shown applies to both EQUINOX 600 and 800."

It can therefore be surmised that the Gold mode on the Equinox 800 exists as a way to offer both 20 kHz and 40 kHz single frequency modes that are lacking on the Equinox 600.

Further “Both models also have simultaneous multi-frequency options that cover a much broader range of targets than any one single frequency can – and they’re different across the Detecting Modes!“

So we have four different modes each one specifically tuned for each of the four scenarios - hunting in a Park full of modern trash, hunting in a Field with all manner of non-ferrous coins and relics plus lots of ferrous trash, hunting at the Beach which may entail saltwater and mineralized soils, and hunting for Gold which can mean tiny gold in highly mineralized ground.

If Minelab does this trick right the Equinox will be more than just a general purpose detector that can be tuned for most any detecting. Instead, each of the four modes may be, through changes of the actual base programming, more like owning four different detectors in one housing. And not only can you switch on the fly between the four modes, but each mode has two saved setting options. Now we are talking four different detectors, each set up with two different sets of tuning options.

Certainly Minelab is not the first to offer different operating modes and saved options. As soon as you start looking at only detectors that are waterproof however, this sort of thing is few and far between indeed. This is just another way in which the Minelab Equinox is setting the stage for being one of if not the most versatile detectors ever made.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Steve

I had to read twice on what you last posted about it to totally understand. I do know now that buying the Equinox 800 is money well spent even if I don’t have it yet in my hot little hands.

Thanks for your time posting all the info on both Equinox ‘s .

Chuck

• Thanks 1

I don't pretend to be deeply technical but if this machine does what you are intimating it may be able to do, and do well…it sounds like a game changer.

I honestly can't say I've ever looked forward to the release date of a metal detector, much less gotten excited about the, ermmm, prospect.. I do believe the E8 has changed my mindset in that respect, at least a little bit..

Swamp

OK, so more internet sleuthing. The following is from a poor image of the back of the equinox 800 box posted at the MD Hunter blog. Note to people who are at release events - forget the detector, get better pictures of the box! Here are two different enlargements (click for even larger versions) - see if you can make out the text....

minelab-equinox-four-hunt-modes.jpg

minelab-equinox-four-hunt-modes-enlarged.jpg

minelab-equinox-park-field-beach-modes.jpg

• Like 2

I can make out a bit of the text.  Under park, I can make out "high-trash." Under Field, "mode for low-trash locations."  Beach "ground balances ... salt." and Gold "nugget hunting."  But I can't make out any of the other words.  Maybe Park has a higher recovery speed than Field?  

2 hours ago, Wayfarer said:

I can make out a bit of the text.  Under park, I can make out "high-trash." Under Field, "mode for low-trash locations."  Beach "ground balances ... salt." and Gold "nugget hunting."  But I can't make out any of the other words.  Maybe Park has a higher recovery speed than Field?  

High trash, low trash.  I expected something better for an explanation of their function.  Perhaps the manual will explain further and ML felt the wording fits for the casual use but I need MORE!

Since the modes use different sets of freq's I had assumed that one mode, field perhaps, would deal with mineralized ground better. For now all we have is  "high trash/low trash". meh!

Come on Minelab we arent't casual users!

Tom

edit: My apologies if it came off like a rant. LOL  I'm confident/hopeful ML will give better info eventually and in the manual.

Like Steve an many others, I also want it to be a real advancement.

• Like 1