Wheatfield Yields To 2nd Harvest Of 2017

I've linked to a thread I started in July.  I finally (after over 3 1/2 months, most of which were bone dry) returned to see if I could squeeze a few more old coins out of this site.  At the time of my earlier searching the parks department had fenced off a large coniferous tree to prevent the demolition crew from damaging its roots.  That had kept me out of that area as well.  Now with fence removed I decided to see if my good fortune in the rest of the recently acquired lot could be supplemented.  I was not disappointed.

Fisher F75, gain of 50, 4H tones ('H' meaning US nickels hit on a high tone, with copper and silver), 5 inch DD coil, either de (default) mode or fa (fast) mode (both filtered discrimiation side) depending upon the amount of iron trash (nails).  Supplement that with my now favorites: White's Prostar headphones and White's TRX pinpointer.

I was able to get in 8 1/2 hours over the weekend before the stormy weather arrived.  I didn't start under the tree but rather along the street curb, some of which I had searched once (without too much success) and some virgin.  After 2 1/2 hours with nothing more than a Zincoln to show for the effort I switched over to the unsearched area under the tree.  It didn't take long for the production to result.

Deepest coin (Wheatie) was 5 inches; compare that with the deepest ring tab of 6 inches.  Even though I was running at a gain of 50 compared to July hunts' 70 I was finding targets at similar depth.  Most pennies were in the 3-4 inch range.   The silver dime (1945 plain -- see photo below) was only 2 inches deep.  So much for the theory that coins always sink considerably with time.  Over 50 years in the ground and only down 2 inches.  I added 14 more Wheats to the 36 I had found there in July, and my 5th silver coin (3rd Merc) from this reclaimed lot.  The sterling ring was also under the tree, likely dropped by a child many decades ago.

With a severe storm approaching (my several hundred $ lightening indicator told me so :laugh:) I worked my way to the car, but dragged the coil along the edge of a couple sidewalks to see if anything jumped out.  With minutes to spare before the skies opened I got a strong but inconsistent ID signal.  I guessed either a nickel or a pulltab, got a low but clear signal from the TRX, and dug down about 3 inches to find...  gold!  16 grams of 14kt.  I told my wife that my best find ever won't be staying with me for long.  The owner's full name is inscribed on the inner surface so shouldn't be too hard to locate.

P1010010.JPG

• Like 6