Minelab Equinox Full Specifications & Brochures

Please let it have the advanced settings available at 20 and 40 kHz!

Set tone break at say -2, adjust iron volume to suit and go prospecting!

Tom

edit:  check out the bottom of the Spec sheets for the 800 and 600:

Software Upgradeable
Yes, via USB connection (Windows and OSX)

http://www.minelab.com/metal-detectors/treasure-detectors/equinox-800?view=faq

• Like 2

Well that ends the question "is the software upgradeable" Brochure says yes via usb win and osx! Hope the bios chip can be flashed also for bugs. Probably all in one upgrade. I'm back on the pre order list now! Maybe goodbye Deus/ V3i. Only one thing. Single frequencies have their place. So isn't gonna obsolete them in that respect. And the Deus has much higher frequencies if you want to run them. Still for the price it is a bargain for what you get.

Was it a question? Updates via the internet were announced in the very first video out of Detectival. Anyway, it does give at least some insurance that if a bug is found an easy fix awaits without the need to mail the detector in. This should be standard on any new detector that has even a hint of complexity.

I said it before and will say it again. There is nothing in the Equinox that can't be found separately in other detectors. What makes the Equinox unique is the number of features in one detector. It can't be duplicated in other detectors without having at least a couple machines. And in a light weight package at a very low price.

minelab-equinox-600-800-compared.jpg

• Like 2

The most tempting all-around detector possibility I can remember…But the Gold Detecting Mode will be the most important aspect as that is my main focus.

• Like 1

I just watched Brandon Neices new video on YouTube. The  equinox comes with a 11” coil and you can purchase a larger 15” x 12” coil or a smaller one 6” from minelab. I’m ready to purchase one! Sold three of my metal detectors so I’m ready to go.

Bring it on minelab!

Welcome to the Club!

There has been commentary on "why aren't the coils wireless". Well, the number one reason is wireless coils have built in batteries and are very expensive. A less obvious reason is that this detector is intended to be used wading or submerged, and wireless coils cannot work underwater unless a antenna wire is added to the coil to bring the signal to the control box. Normal WiFi signals just do not penetrate water at all. It is possible to do underwater wireless, but the systems made so far are very expensive. Finally, it is hard to make small wireless coils unless an external battery is added, and that sort of defeats the whole point.

Long story short - wired coils mean more coils faster, made in greater variety, at lower cost.

Three coils is a start, but with this sure to be a best selling detector there is a high likelihood many more coil options will appear as time passes. For instance, I have been lobbying for a 5" x 10" coil specifically tuned for the 20/40 kHz Gold Mode on the Equinox 800.

minelab-equinox-coil-options-brandon.jpg

minelab-equinox-accessory-coils-15-6.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/9/2017 at 8:17 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Was it a question? Updates via the internet were announced in the very first video out of Detectival. Anyway, it does give at least some insurance that if a bug is found an easy fix awaits without the need to mail the detector in. This should be standard on any new detector that has even a hint of complexity.

I said it before and will say it again. There is nothing in the Equinox that can't be found separately in other detectors. What makes the Equinox unique is the number of features in one detector. It can't be duplicated in other detectors without having at least a couple machines. And in a light weight package at a very low price.

minelab-equinox-600-800-compared.jpg

Steve, 

Agree with your post in all but one respect.  You said "there is nothing in the Equinox that can't be found separately in other detectors."  I'd say that at this point, we can't know that for sure.  And I hope you are wrong there, becuase I think Multi-IQ is going to be KEY for this machine.  I HOPE it proves to be something that CAN'T be found in other detectors.  

While taking different qualities that different detectors offer, and wrapping them all into a single, nice package is a great idea, I don't think that's all that Minelab has done here (and I hope I'm right on this).  I personally think Multi-IQ is going to eventually prove to be the reason that they keep claiming the Equinox "will obsolete all single-frequency detectors."  This statement by Minelab, in my opinion, will stand or fall almost entirely on whether Multi-IQ is a substantial technological advancement, or is not...

Steve

Well of course Multi-IQ does not exist in other metal detectors, and so can't be had in competitive models. However, multifrequency exists in other models and Minelab says nothing about multifrequency being obsolete. Just the opposite. They are staking their future bet on multifrequency. Regarding that, Minelab states: "How does Multi-IQ compare to BBS/FBS? Multi-IQ uses a different group of fundamental frequencies than BBS/FBS to generate a wide-band multi-frequency transmission signal that is more sensitive to high frequency targets and slightly less sensitive to low frequency targets. Multi-IQ uses the latest high-speed processors and advanced digital filtering techniques for a much faster recovery speed than BBS/FBS technologies. Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions almost as well as BBS/FBS, however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions."

Now, you can ignore that as Minelab trying to play the middle ground, but you also might just consider for a moment that the statement might be factual. And what it is saying is that Multi-IQ has some advantages "more sensitive to high frequency targets" and "much faster recovery speed" and that BBS/FBS retains some advantages "Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions almost as well as BBS/FBS (emphasis added) and "BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins".

I will be frank. I word things the way I do for specific reasons. I have seen the damage done in the past by people making machines out to be something they are not. Making the Equinox out to be a magic wand will result in disappointment when it is discovered to be a metal detector. Better to underpromise and overdeliver I say. Therefore while I am involved in and will be commenting heavily on the Equinox one thing I am not going to do is make excessive claims about its absolute performance. It simply is good enough for me that it puts numerous existing technologies in an elegant package at an excellent price. Multi-IQ is of course unique and will bring something to the table other detectors lack, but that is more just icing on the cake as far as I am concerned. I have absolutely no doubt it will outperform BBS/FBS in dense trash, just like a Deus outdoes BBS/FBS in dense trash. That's obviously the main target here; Minelab even mentions the Deus by name in their latest video. Brandon Neice - “It's almost like the Deus and CTX got together and made a baby”! The focus here is mostly on speed and target id accuracy.

So, the BBS and FBS machines will punch deeper on silver? Well, again, people are reading things into very carefully crafted statements that are not there. What Minelab states is "still have an advantage" not "goes deeper". That advantage in the case of the CTX could well be claimed to be Target Trace. Target Trace offers excellent visual clues to a target, and the Equinox lacks Target Trace. So a CTX with Target Trace could be said to have an advantage under all conditions over the Equinox due to this. I am not stating this as fact but as just an example of how people interpret things to mean what they want. At the end of the day only Minelab knows how Multi-IQ works.

I am sure all this will fuel speculation and internet battles for some time to come. I wish people lots of luck with all that. I have already decided I am all in with the Equinox and my focus will be entirely on getting the best performance I can out of the detector and helping others to do so. I will let others have the fun of battling out this versus that because I have already left that battle behind. Five other detectors sold so far and a couple more to go!

Final note - this forum is a Fan Club and people here can be expected to be biased in favor of the Equinox. Anyone getting their hands on one and wanting to do "this versus that" comparisons would be welcome to do so by posting on the Detector Advice & Comparisons Forum. It is the appropriate location for machine to machine comparisons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Steve,

I totally agree with you about "making machines out to be something they are not," and I also agree that it's almost beyond question that the Equinox will be a "good" machine, if only because -- as you said -- they took numerous existing technologies and wrapped them into a nice, lightweight, waterproof package.

All I was saying is this -- I don't think that MINELAB believes that just taking, let's say, Deus performance, and putting it into a waterproof housing similar in appearance and weight to the Deus is what will "make other single-frequency detectors obsolete."  I think -- as you said -- they are staking their future bets on multi-frequency.  I think we are saying the same thing in a way, but in different styles.  My point only was that as good as the Equinox looks EVEN WITHOUT Multi-IQ (given all the qualities that it has rolled into one machine), I don't think that would "obsolete" anything.  I believe what will allow the Equinox to either live up to, or fall short of, its "obsolete" claims, is how well Multi-IQ actually performs.  My only point was, all the other stuff is GREAT, but at the end of the day, I really believe that it's more like Brandon said about the Deus/CTX mix.  This machine will be the amazing innovation that Minelab claims, because where else can you get a Deus, that ALSO has Minelab's legendary multi-frequency ability included AS WELL?  Two detector platforms in one (single-freq, and multi-freq).  And not just ANY multi-freq, but a NEWLY ENGINEERED version of multi-freq, from the long-time, in-the-field-proven industry leader in multi-frequency technology.

That's all I was trying to say...

Steve

• Like 1

So SteveG your saying it’s going to be an awesome detector :-)

I’m hoping it will achieve starfleet status,... Beep and Beam the target up into the palm of your hand. Just stand in the middle of a field, adjust scan radius, adjust disc to suit hit the beam button and the finds can be spotted in mid air hovering 4 feet above the ground. Now that’s cherry picking.

OBSOLETE certainly got our attention.

Anyway just a bit of fun and it will certainly add to the excitement in digging up that first pulltab with the Equinox.

• Haha 2