Metal Detectors On TV Shows

Autumn & Winter brings out the treasure shows in US (cable) TV.  It's fun for me to try and figure out what detectors are being used.  Here are a couple recent views.  Disclaimer: as always, keep in mind that what you see isn't always the true story.  TV producers like to exercise "poetic license" at the expense of veracity, even (especially?) when they label their shows "reality TV".

Finding Escobar's Millions -- a brand new show airing right after the well known Gold Rush, Friday nights on Discovery Channel.  Basically this is the travails of two ex-CIA agents combing Columbia looking for deceased drug lord Pablo Escobar's hidden spoils.  On episode 1 (last week) they had some interesting things to say about a couple detectors they were using.  The claim was that the 'hobby detector' (their words) would detect down to 10 inches (25 cm) whereas their professional detector would pick up at 10 ft (3 m).  Well, the 'hobby detector' appeared to be a Fisher CZ3d.  I would have thought the 'professional detector' would be a two box TR.  I didn't recognize the device but it has the standard MD structure (coil on the end of the shaft).  What caught my curiosity and skepticism was that the coil assembly was an OO (similar to DD) with each component coil being only about 6 inches in diameter!  They had a designation/name for it but I don't remember what it was.  It was something like XY-89 where 'XY' were two letter (not literally XY) and '89' was a two digit number (not 89).  I think the the number was 61 or 62, but not at all sure about that.  Does this description & name ring a bell with anyone?  (Or if someone watched the show maybe you can fill in more details.)  Ironically they spent most of their time using the hobby detector....  :biggrin:

Curse of Oak Island -- season five began last evening on History Channel.  Most of you are likely familiar with this one.  On the 2 hour premier they had Gary Drayton back using his (sponsored?) CTX 3030 and a Minelab pinpointer (yellow and black -- I'm not tuned in on all their models).  More interesting was a dive to the bottom of one of their deep holes where the diver was using what appeared to be a Garrett Carrot at a water depth of over 30 m (~100 ft).  It definitely was orange, the right size, and clearly said 'Garrett' in black letters, just like on my Carrot.  I think that is 10 times deeper than it's specked!  Am I wrong on that?  I suppose it could possibly be a special one-off unit made for them by Garrett.  It was working at that depth during the dive.  That would be crazy deep (very high pressure), even accounting for engineering safety margin, for such a device if it really is only recommended for 10 ft.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

They have just Aired the first episode of the (New) 3rd series of The Detectorists here tonight in the UK.

J.

And....???  How was it?  I have been scrambling trying to figure out how to watch it here in the US!! 

14 hours ago, auminesweeper said:

They have just Aired the first episode of the (New) 3rd series of The Detectorists here tonight in the UK.

J.

I love that show so far.  I am still on Season 1 working my way thru it.   As a Yank I love Brit humor.   

• Like 1

I too just discovered Detectorists and 1/2 way through Season 2.

Regarding detectors, CTX3030 is the obvious and the only one they highlight/mention regularly. Not up to speed on my coin/relic machines, I do know XP Deus was mentioned. Not sure yet what Andy swings. Being a drama as opposed to documentary, its nice to see things with a different spin. The show is absolutely fantastically hilarious.

-Dave

• Like 1

I already have the next episode set to play on my TV when it is aired, The notes say that we are going to see some good things happen in this series,

Most people don't realise that Lance is the Voice of Dobby the Elf from the harry potter series and that the woman who plays Andy's Mother In law in the series is none other than Diana Rigg who played the part of Emma Peel in the 1960's UK TV hit series The Avengers.

Also the Lady who plays the part of Andy's Wife is in real life Diana Riggs Daughter, which is why she looks similar to the lady in the picture below.

J.

The Avengers.jpg

Andy and Wife.jpg