You might be thinking, what is the big deal, but...

This dime came from a hunted out site using the TDI and the OZ 12" coil.  The coil was loaned to me by GB_Amateur aka Steve.  I have been hunting this small area, maybe 50' x 100' for over 2 years.  This site has given up many silver and copper coins.  The site has also been hunted by two of my hunting buddies using the CTX 3030, Whites DFX, Fisher F75 and of course the TDI.  The OZ coil is super deep in this area and extremely stable.  I also dug over 10 nice large nails prior to finding this dime.  I must admit I had been purposely looking for only the deeper sounding targets and ignoring the shallow one.  I might add one more thing, all the nails sounded about the same, but I dug anyway.  On the other hand the dime sounded strange compared to the nails.  Can't explain the actual sound, but hope to soon, hear it again.   If possible I might try to record the actual audio and post for all to hear.

May be a few days before getting to hunt again, weather will turn much colder this weekend. 

Thanks again Steve.

dime.jpg

• Like 6

NICE!  This is a big deal to me Mark... I am trying to better my technique to find the hidden gems at pounded sites...  I don't consider that just a Mercury Dime...  that represents so much more.  You found a desired target that countless others missed..  even yourself!  That's what I am talking about!  Thanks for posting!  Tim

• Like 1

Mark

Don’t pass up any signal being some of my oldest coins was just barely covered up with dirt.

1926 was a good year! Oh I wasn’t around then but my mother was. She was born in 1922 and still going strong.

Chuck

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mark Gillespie said:

The coil was loaned to me by GB_Amateur aka Steve.

Actually, my name's 'Chuck', but no problem.  Glad to help out a fellow detectorist.  As mentioned privately, I've learned a lot from your YouTube videos so you can think of the loan as payback.   I use the TDI exclusively for hunting gold out west in highly mineralized ground.  Unfortunately until I retire next year I can't go out there much so it was an easy loan.  On top of all that I'm curious myself as to how well the 12 inch Aussie (Oz) mono works on the TDI/SL in tough conditions like yours.  Thanks for the report, and congrats on the find.

You got more guts then I do. I have yet to take my TDI anywhere but at the beach. I dig enough nails when I head to the mountains looking for gold.    I've seen where a lot of relic hunters on the east coast hunt with PI's and do well. Some day I might try the TDI in a park first so I can kinda get used to what coins might sound like. When I hunt the beach it's with ground balance off usually for the extra depth. The TDI is a great machine thanks for posting. 

strick 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Tnsharpshooter
      A great day to detect for me.
      Temps in the 50s full sunshine little to no wind.
      Been on the crossbow trail as of late busting deer with my new Ravin crossbow.
      Today it was time to get back on the detecting trail.
      Detector setups used- Deus HF elliptical and round HF coil and the Rutus wearing 11" dd coil.
      I have had a goal or a mission for over 5 years.
      This was to find a whole reale coin in my detecting proving ground sites.
      Well today I finally accomplished.
      Not with the detector I thought I would accomplish with either, rather the mighty Rutus, instead of Deus,
      Other finds include a pair of cuff links, I think an old toasty nickel. It reads 12-12 on CTX and its diameter matches a clad nickel.
      All the detector and coil combos today did well.
      I tried to give equal time to each setup.
      The cuff links were found with round HF coil.
      Deus didn't like them either plus they were not deep.
      Checked them for ferrous component, magnet says totally nonferrous,
      No iron tonally noted around them either.
      I did check all targets discovered with Deus usIng either the round HF coil and they elliptical.
      I compared 14.4khz to 28.8 khz after finding what I thought was a nonferrous find.
      Each and every time 28.8 kHz gave a better signal and also a signal from more angular sweeping approach.
      Elliptical coil though when comparing the 2 freqs, was closer together tonally vs the targets I compared after being found with round HF coil.
      The mighty Rutus.
      What can I say about it.?
      For a detector wearing an 11" dd coil, IMO for as well as it separates and its depth it is I think rated tops for digging nonferrous yet dodging ferrous objects.
      One thing to note though with Rutus.
      Go easy on the gain, too much will compromise the audio.
      One great detector, did find one of the flat buttons pictured as well.
      I hadn't run Rutus since late July since I loaned it out.
      Easy to get back in the saddle with though.
      All items in pic are totally nonferrous.
      According to my loop and eyes the reale is dated 1784.

A little closer look at the very thin silver coin.

• By GB_Amateur
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Whites-TDI-BIGFOOT-coil-58cm-X-12cm-21-75-x5-75-foam-filled-custom-cable-length/292336750623?hash=item4410a0d01f:g:YwQAAOSwvTpaB8E9
    • By Mark Gillespie
      Revisited the bad lands today. This time settings were a little different. Still a lot of nails in this area, but this time I opted to hear only low conductors and it paid off. One 10k GF and a nice 10k class ring.
      And of course the double handfuls of beer tabs, beaver tails and pencil erasers.
      All in all a pretty good hunt.
      Todays settings were:
      gain 6
      GB 6
      delay 18
      low conductors

• By Steve Herschbach
      Over ten years ago I was pushing pretty hard on the idea that high power pulse induction detectors would eventually find use for more than just nugget detecting. Relic hunters in bad ground seemed a particularly obvious situation where PI detectors could pick up where the VLFs left off.
      Daniel TN just made a great post over at Dankowski’s about the shift from VLF to PI, and how the PI use progressed up the power ladder from Garrett Infinium to White’s TDI to Minelab GPX.
      I ended up calling this Steve’s Law Of Target Depletion. The basic premise is that if high value targets exist, people will start with discriminating VLF detectors and dig the easy targets. However, knowing good finds remain, over time more trash is dug and more powerful detectors used. As long as any chance of a good find remains, this progression will ultimately deplete a good location of all targets, good and bad.
      Prospectors see this all the time. A location will start with trash and gold. VLFs cherry pick out the easy stuff. Then the “dig it all” troops go to work. Sooner or later you get to where just finding a target, any target, gets to be a challenge. Yet as long as a single target remains, good finds still might happen. If nothing else the trash can hide good targets lurking below, and so even trash remaining can be a good sign. You can never call a place detected out until no targets at all remain in the ground that can be found. And even then, a newer, more powerful detector may make the place come to life again, at least for a time.
    • By rcbrind
      I'm new to the forum which is excellent, I'm thinking of upgrading to either the ATX or the TDI pro, the machine will be used mostly on the beach, but an ability to coin shoot would be excellent. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    • By tboykin
      One of our dealers sent me this email today. NO I don't know the guy's name and YES if I find out who it is you can be damn sure I will try and get permission to go detecting with him next time:

"My customer, (who would like to remain anonymous) a Southern Oregon Gold Dredger that loves to be out in our mountains all year round. He spends his summer weekends in the water with his dredge. A few years ago, he decided to try his hand at Metal Detecting the ground his has been traipsing over for 25 or 30 years. We discuss his options. He has had an MXT for years, but for Placer Gold it just wasn’t going to avoid the hot rocks and cover the tuff ground that he wants to look in. I sent him out with my demo GMT and my personal TDI SL. Clearly the TDI SL was the right choice for his highly mineralized ground. So the machine was decided. He also wanted the right coil for HIS ground. He works a lot of shallow bedrock, also right on the edge of the creek and up the bank often following bedrock. He decided on the SMALLEST folded mono coil we could find with the elliptical shape. His terrain is tuff, rocks and trees in all the right places / wrong places, depending on if something is found.   Fast Forward 2 Years: He has had a very exciting year. Finding the smallest picker first and getting bigger each time. He has purchased a second coil to cover more ground and get the optimal depth. We have also just finished our research for an increased voltage battery for the best performance and longer run time on the bigger coil.   Thank you for all your support Please enjoy the pictures of your successful product!"