MN, bummer of a day but you fired back positively WTG.

• Like 1

$650 labour for 3 hours work???  $216 an hour.

$846 Australian dollars?  

I'm learnin' to be a grease monkey and movin' to the States y'all!!!  :laugh:

Nice work on the gold Mitchel :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a day! Glad you got your wheels fixed and a very nice nugget too!

• Like 1

Perseverance pays...way to overcome the odds, Mitchel!

• Like 1

Yup yup yup.. Same issue and fixes here too (minus the ol' "bad gas cap" replacement scam,) so far.. Difference being I wasn't on the road so could work on it at home instead of needing to call a dealership and pay top-$ to be back on the road ASAP..

Another difference though is that you were back on the road and running fine three hours later whereas I'm now at it well over three months and still not running 100%; am at about 85% to maybe 90% in that dep't.. Still haven't found the last niggling little bit of missing performance gremlin, which is really beginning to pizz me awph..! The fact I only have about 25% as many $$s invested to this point has already been chewed up by the Law of Diminishing Returns and replaced by the Law of Ongoing Aggravation..

Like you, I know if I take it to a dealership odds are there's no way I'm getting out of there for under a grand regardless the problem.. One thing that really churns my butter is these days a dealership won't work on a vehicle without first running a diagnostic.. Well, I 'could' be in agreement with that philosophy, if there was a way to run a full-readout Dx on my van -- which there isn't.. Can't even run a 1st gen much less 2nd gen Dx, but don't even try to talk them into giving up their guaranteed $119.95 + tax digital hoodoo freebee-for-them $$s -- cos it ain't gonna happen.. Doesn't matter there's no under-dash pig-tail of any sort much less the correct sort nor digital readout capability anywhere within the dash cluster (which they could get around simply by saying the codes will be on the printouts,) they aren't about to give up that free buck-twenty for any kind of reason -- even if that reason is they can't actually run a diagnostic on my vehicle.. Truth and honesty have never gotten in the way of billables before and they damm sure ain't about to now..! So there's that..

Anyhow, at this point I've replaced and/or cleaned everything except the charcoal evaporation canaster, which I can't even find ('95 RAM Van 2500, not a RAM truck.. Should be in the same place, but isn't..) I also didn't replace all the injectors, which in hindsight I probably would have been better off buying a complete set of refurbs instead of one new replacement for the troublemaker the way I had things figured (wet cylinder..) I really should sniff for vacuum leaks too but don't believe that's the problem since performance continues to improve as I continue to run better quality injector cleaners through the system..

The one thing I have not and refuse to check is the in-tank fuel filter / pump combo, because I did replace it a few years ago and if that would happen to be the problem I'm afraid I might push the damm van off a cliff.. Good thing I live in FL, since if I did that I could probably fix everything with a quick trip through a car wash..

Swamp

PS: Sweet Au.. :cool:
And -- Something is wayyy not right about $650 labor for 3 hours book.. Even adding the diagnostic to that line it's still about $200 over..

• Like 2

Oh Mitchel, That is a bummer about your wagon. Sorry to hear that. They certainly stung you on the labour.....& probably half the other stuff they said "had to be done." Guess you were in a tight spot & just wanted to be back on the road & they took advantage of your situation. Glad you found some sassy gold to at least put a smile on your face. Hope the 19" produces for you.

Good luck.

JW :smile: 

• Like 1

On the car ... they have their 'shop rates and times' to do certain jobs.  As it turns out there was more than one working on it.  It was still too much.  I'd take it to my mechanic about 2 blocks from where I live and they probably would charge me $100 less?  I had no idea the problem and they could have told me the engine was trashed and I'd have no way to test it but then I'd tow it and get a second opinion.  I have a 100 mile auto club tow that I could have used.

Enough about wheels ...

Went back out to the same location today with the 19 and it 'got to me' for the first time in a way it had not before.  I'm out of shape for swinging it and after about 3 hours I had to put it back and go to the 14.  What a light little coil that is!  haha

Bottom line ... nothing to add to the poke but I don't have to wonder if I missed something.  I'm good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2017 at 6:00 PM, mn90403 said:

Bottom line ... nothing to add to the poke but I don't have to wonder if I missed something.  I'm good.

Bad luck Mitchel. At least you can sleep easy knowing that you gave it a shot & left nothing within range of those two coils. Well...maybe.:rolleyes: 

On a different day & different conditions......you just never know :smile:

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Mark Gillespie
      Had a couple hours yesterday so I thought I'd hit a county playground where I'd found some gold jewelry in the past.  Headed out with my PI and a recently borrowed 5 x 9 folded mono coil to see what might come up. 
      You know, I never realized there could possibly be so many bobbie pins in the world.  This machine has no difficulty locating these small metal objects.  But with careful listening, the audio gives just enough hints so I became very close to 100% sure of what these targets were before digging.
      Well anyway, on with the story.  I'd been hunting about an hour when a young man carrying a back pack comes to where I was hunting and proceeds to ask if I'd found anything good.  Reaching into my pouch I pulled out my very meager finds and a small silver pendant.  Not much but I was enjoying the day none the less.  The young man proceeded to open his back pack and removed several containers of silver, copper coins along with many old relics including some nice buttons and buckles.  Some of these coins dated back to the 1800's.  Looked like his entire treasure was in his back pack and in fact it was, he explained, when I leave the house I take them with me, fearing someone might break in and steal them.  I had to ask how he had acquired so many coins and relics and he stated he too was a hunter and uses the Mine lab Etrac.  Had to ask again and this time he answered mostly old home sites.  I continued to ask where and his answer was I knock on doors and ask to detect and this is where most of his finds have come from.  Amazing what this young man has found in the same counties where I have hunted for some 20 years.  He seems to have done everything right to acquire that many old silver and copper coins and on top of that many gold rings to boot.  Well we continued to talk and I had to ask if he belonged to any of the treasure forums on the internet and his answer was no.  But he said I have a private Facebook group and invited me to join.  The conversation continued for some 30 minutes or so exchanging hunting experiences and finds.  The whole time thinking just how smart this guy was and what I stand to learn from him even though I had more than a decade of addition experience.  The park was starting to get crowded so we decided to leave.  What a chance meeting to talk to a fellow hunter in my area.  That afternoon I checked my email and sure enough Shane had subscribed to my you tube site.  So I requested to join his treasure hunting site on Facebook and he accepted and the journey begins. 

• By Gbonus uralias
      Hello all! 
      This weekend I am heading out for a Motor Cycle Camp trip (Adventure Bikes) and we always take our detectors. Hoping to find some nice out-of-the-way areas that have not been hit too hard. Camp Grounds have been a good source of hunting for us in the past and we have made about 5 trips this year on bikes, some are local day trips and others are over-nighter's. 
      I love doing this and it has gotten me out to some really neat/old places. Just curious if anyone else out there has done this same type of hunting - MC/camping etc.
      I'll post the adventure here if anyone is interested. 

• By Jin
      After 2 years going solo on my prospecting trips I found out that by buying a caravan my wife would finally come prospecting with me. Originally we bought the caravan for trips away but she said she didn't mind if we took it away to prospecting areas now and again. The only downside is I had to buy something to tow the van so I bought a new jeep and she said no bush bashing in it as she doesn't want scratches or dents. My Prado is slowly getting destroyed with all the rough tracks and river crossings I do in it.  So it looks like ill be doing lots of walking for the time being.
      The next door neighbor had an electric powered mountain bike which I bought but it needs a new battery. The bike does 80kmh, but I think I'll stick to 20kmh and at least get there in one piece. Should be really good to be able to ride across the country looking for potential gold bearing ground. Walking takes too long. 
      Anyway, we took the van for its maiden voyage 6 weeks ago and the wife loved it. She reads a lot while I detected which seemed to work. Hopefully one day she might even have a go at detecting. 
      There's nothing better than coming back to the van for a hot shower and a home-cooked meal. Usually, my solo trips consist of detecting from dusk until its dark, eating dry bread and a can of soup for dinner. Then crawling into the rooftop tent and going to sleep. As I only get to the Golden Triangle once a month I need to make it count. I found cooking/cleaning wasted to much time. Heck, i don't even have time to butter my bread so the butter stays home. A good day detecting for me is around 11 hours straight. And that's swinging the 18" Elite. Usually can only manage 2 days of that and then i want to go home. Besides, i think the family doesn't mind me going every month because there short trips.  
      We're off again next week this time to Daylesford which is a nice little town. I'll probably get up at 5:00 am and detect until 10:00 am then take her out and go for a few walks.
      Got a new "SteelPhase sP01 Audio Enhancer" coming this week so that will be good to see how it compares to the B&Z booster.
      Heres a picture of our last trip. It was a stopover at Waanyarra on the way home. Ended up finding a few bits near the campground so that was a bonus.  

• By Reg Wilson
      I started missing gold as soon as I started detecting, and this is the sad saga of just how much.
      Wedderburn in the north of the central Victorian goldfields is where I found my first color, and  Schicer gully was where I lost my detecting virginity. A little piece of a few grams beneath a tree. After finding no more there, my mate at the time (who first introduced me to prospecting with a detector) and I moved to Beggary hill, just to the north of Wedderburn, where we found a patch of small colors on the side of the hill. I was trying to learn as much as I could about this detecting game by making friends with some of the guys who knew a bit about alluvial gold and where it could be found with a detector. I had learned about 'surfacing', and the importance of detecting around these areas, so a patch of shallow surfacing nearby captured my attention, but there where so many old tin cans that I gave up on it after a few hours.
       A local chap that I had become friends with lived in the town and had a mate who made his own rum. On a regular basis I would drop in to his place with a couple of bottles of Coke, and we would talk about gold. On my arrival one night he brought out a pillow case in which was wrapped a very large nugget. It contained a little ironstone, and was a magnificent piece that weighed 84 ozs. His son and two of his mates had found it using an early Whites detector that my friend Luke had loaned to the kids for a school project on gold prospecting. He then bought out a local map to show me where the kids had found it. Well, you guessed it. Down by the fence among the tin cans where I had given up on Beggary hill.
    • By Gbonus uralias
      Hello all and happy Monday.
      I was able to get out for the day yesterday and decided to tackle an area I have been researching in the local forest.
      An old trail camp site with no car access. This place has a lot of history even before the Forest service took it over and made it a public camp. I hiked in and brought my X705 with the Elliptical coil - I should have brought my 6" DD for where i was at, but the Elliptical worked OK. I just focused on two sites with the 2 hours I had to hunt.
      I was stoked to score my first piece of Silver - 1940 Merc. and then a nice 1955 Wheatie.

Kept going and what was ringing out like a solid Nickel, ended up being a nice Titanium ring!! 

Also lots of Pennies, Dimes and Nickels with most dating in the 60's and 70's.  

As I was hiking up and out of the Canyon, I came across this..

I was very happy on my drive home and I feel confident that I have found some virgin ground that I can go back to again. I want to back-pack in some time and spend the night for a real good hunt. that would be fun. 

• By Reno Chris
      I certainly don't recommend going in old mines as I well know - better than most - how dangerous that can be. However, I recently had the very special opportunity to do some detecting in the Original 16 to 1 mine in Alleghany, California. It is a mine that is open, well maintained and worked by miners every day, so the dangers are not the same as old abandoned mines.
      I hiked all around for hours with some of the miners, but only saw a tiny fraction of the 35 MILES of drifts and other workings in this old mine. Much of their mining is done with metal detectors as the gold tends to be coarse. I took my SDC 2300 and even found some gold in an old heading where they had recently taken some gold out of the vein.
      I found a couple pieces and they actually gave me one - it fell apart after I dug it and so they just gave it to me.

The miners had the latest equipment - the new Minelab GPZ 7000 on hand for their work - anything that will get depth and see mossy of dendritic types gold. The big 14 inch coil however is a limitation on the irregular walls of the mine. I knew they had the GPZ, so I took in my SDC 2300 as an alternative and I believe it was the first one in the 16 to 1 mine. I kind of convinced them that its small coil had some advantages and it also ignores some hot rock within the mine that sounds off on the GPZ and VLFs. All in all it was quite the experience and adventure, and the 3rd time I have been underground at the 16 to 1.

I mentioned this stuff on another forum, but I thought I would share a photo and make a separate thread because of the interest in the topic.