Equinox Battery Replacement Program?

MontAmmie

Hey Steve!  I had a question that I posted on the official Facebook Equinox page, that no one seems to be able to answer (officially anyway).  Maybe you can shed some light on this?

"I have a question about the built-in lithium battery. I know they last a long time and can be re-charged hundreds of times. But what happens when the battery wears out? Will you have to send it to Minelab to be replaced? I plan to use my Equinox for many years! Thanks!"

Sherry

• Like 1

Sherry

That’s my only dislike on the Equinox I can find. I wish you could pop it out and replace it with a regular battery if the need be.

Chuck

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Sherry

That’s my only dislike on the Equinox I can find. I wish you could pop it out and replace it with a regular battery if the need be.

Chuck

Why can't they just use some rechargeable AA's like my Infinium and my DFX?  Easy to find, recharge and replace as needed.  I know it has to be waterproof and all that, but it shouldn't be that hard to make a waterproof battery compartment!

• Like 2

Looks like I'm getting some haters on the FB page for pointing out that Li-on batteries are usually only good for 2-3 years, at best.  :biggrin:

If this is the direction that Minelab wants to go with the EQ, then that is, of course, their prerogative to do so.  However, I just hope they will be completely upfront with consumers about the lifespan of the battery, and the exact procedure which will be necessary when the battery degrades.

Those of us purchasing an EQ off the shelf need to check the date of manufacture.  Apparently the battery will start to degrade on day one, whether it is being used or not.  Also we need to be careful about leaving it in the car trunk in July as heat seems to cause them to degrade faster.

• Thanks 1

I like the word recharge but I also like another battery pack to pop in if the first goes flat.

Well with the Equinox on order I’ll cross that bridge on the issue of batteries when I get to it.

Sorry Sherry I voted for you but I didn’t say you’d get elected.

Chuck

• Like 1

Minelab maintains a Facebook page. The is no “official” Equinox Facebook page unless it is run directly by Minelab.

The reality Sherry is simple. Replaceable battery compartments have been and always will be a potential leak location. One grain of sand on a door ring can equal a leak. So eliminating a leak location by using sealed batteries is a good thing.

Do you own a cell phone? Do you worry about how many times you can charge it? Do you know how long the battery will last and how to replace it? Do you check dates on other rechargeable items you might buy to make sure they have not been on the shelf too long? If none of these things are huge concerns, then there is no reason to make it so with a metal detector. More to the point - there are a zillion Deus units out there where the coil, controller, and headphones all have sealed batteries. Are they failing at an unforeseen rate? Minelab is not treading new ground here.

Having said all that, great question. The battery will last for years but will eventually need to be replaced. A battery replacement program stated up front with a cost would go a long way to addressing concerns like you are having Sherry. These are still early days and people are quite impatient for more answers that I am sure will arrive soon. In the meantime, any concerns at all - just wait! Nobody has to be a first adopter.

minelab-equinox-li-ion-battery-handle-sealed.jpg

• Like 1

There actually is an insurance policy. The Equinox can be operated while "charging". In other words, any aftermarket USB style portable power pack will run the detector. In theory if the battery is totally dead for any reason, just use the USB power cord to attach a power pack and strap it anywhere on the detector (under the armrest?) and you are good to go. So it's not like the battery goes dead and you are out of luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Do you own a cell phone? Do you worry about how many times you can charge it? Do you know how long the battery will last and how to replace it? Do you check dates on other rechargeable items you might buy to make sure they have not been on the shelf too long? If none of these things are huge concerns, then there is no reason to make it so with a metal detector. 

My husband's cell phone battery died about 6 months ago.  There is a Cell Phone store 1.5 miles from our house and it took them about 10 minutes to install a new one.  So, no, I don't worry about cell phone batteries. 

A metal detector, which will probably need to be mailed to a service center for who-knows-how-long, after 2 or 3 years of use, actually is a concern to me.

"DUG THAT OFFICIAL MINELAB EQUINOX 800-600 GROUP"  I don't know who runs it, but they must be at least affiliated with Minelab in some way or Minelab would make them remove the "official" part, right?

• Like 1