Equinox Battery Replacement Program?

MontAmmie

Like I said, great question about battery replacement, deserving of more answers.

From the DUG THAT OFFICIAL MINELAB EQUINOX 800-600 GROUP

“Welcome to the Dug That Equinox Group, run by Minelab's official Brand Ambassadors and testers of the Equinox 800 & 600 prototypes. We hope to be able to keep you up to date with our testing progress and eventually be the first group to bring you all the latest information on the machines and the Multi-IQ technology which powers them. We are also confident we can provide you with support, hints and tips after the machine is released. This group was formed because Neil, Derek and I were blocked from another Equinox user group for no reason. We look forward to sharing our experiences with you and getting to know you all.”

I will check with Minelab on how “official” the page is. It is run by some well known respected individuals.

Minelab Response Here

Response from Minelab on batteries:

”We'll have more info on battery care and maintenance in the EQUINOX Instruction Manual. Rest assured, this has been tested extensively and is expected to exceed the detector warranty period for typical use. Yes, the battery can be easily replaced. Also, you can plug in a standard USB power bank and run the detector from that while the internal battery is charging. Regards, Minelab.”

The full manual has not been released yet. The Equinox is warrantied for three years.

• Like 4

This would be a great opportunity for an aftermarket company to step in here and make a custom USB powered external battery pack.  One that snaps on and fits perfectly right under the armrest with a well thought out wiring connection.  Some weight under the armrest would help balance too.  To any aspiring engineers out there:  hint hint! 

• Like 4

Guest TreasureGuy

I'm a full time web designer and mainly work in the evenings/night, I spend nearly every day detecting here in the UK. My current machine uses 4AA rechargable Duracell (2400 mAh) batteries which after around 6 Months need replacing..

I know any Lithium-Ion battery has a limited recharging cycle and do believe the design could of been made better, but I truly believe the Pro's of owning an Equinox outweighs the battery issue 10 fold!

If I need to send my detector away to get it's battery replaced, so be it...

Nothing is perfect. When you design a detector everything's a trade off. Battery compartments are the classic leak point in waterproof detectors. You only have to get an improper seal once to flood the battery compartment and /or detector. Waterproof detectors have abnormally high failure rates and warranty issues in part due to this. The CTX could be considered a classic example of concerns over battery seals.

I have used lots of waterproof detectors, and every time I seal the battery compartment I cross my fingers. No matter how careful you are there is always a little risk involved. It's also a pain. My ATX I have to charge the batteries every two days. There are two battery doors. Every two days, pull batteries in evening to charge, and clean o-rings and door seal areas. Put back together in morning and hope I got it right. With Equinox just attach the magnetic charger and you are good to go in the morning. Dealing with battery compartment seals is a low level ongoing job with most waterproof detectors that I will not miss.

The reality is the Equinox is designed for the future, not the past, and new detectorists in particular are used to owning things that need to be charged regularly. Lithium Ion battery technology is vastly improved now, and if Minelab says that they expect the battery life to exceed three years under normal use then I am taking them at their word for it.

The catch of course is what defines "normal". Normal detectors are sitting in closets getting no use. If I am out detecting like crazy, normal does not apply. Maybe the battery will only make it to two years in my case. Don't know, as only time will tell, but the benefit here is compelling.

On the other hand having a battery built into the coil is a no-go. Wireless signals do not normally transmit underwater, and so the Deus coil, for example, loses the connection with the controller or headphones when the coil is submerged. The solution is to run an antenna wire from the coil up to a point above the water or, if the control box is to also be submerged, to the control box. Wireless also turns $200 coils into $400 coils and limits coil availability. On the Deus, sold as a dry land detector, this can still make sense. But for a detector sold for use in water wireless coils make no sense at all.

The thing is that these are design choices that get made in every detector, and the Equinox has its share. For some people (me!) the design choices make sense. Others will feel just the opposite, and that's fine. That is why other detector models exist - so we have choices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest TreasureGuy

I agree with you Steve.. In regards to the Deus coil, I was trying to explain to a friend recently about why he was having problems with detecting underwater.. But sometimes our words fall on deaf ears..

I must admit, I do enjoy watching the Deus owners on YouTube attaching their underwater antennas (grin..)

Another response from Minelab:

“The Li-ion battery in the EQUINOX detectors is easily replaceable. Minelab has not yet released official information as to whether or not a user can change the battery over without voiding warranty or if we recommend the battery is changed by a dealer or service centre. Further information about battery care and maintenance will be provided in the EQUINOX Instruction Manual, which has not been released yet. This will be available when the product is available. The EQUINOX detectors are not designed to run from AA batteries. However, you can use a standard USB power bank (as you do with mobile phones) to recharge the built-in battery and operate the detector at the same time.”

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think it's going to be a big concern...The batteries in the Deus components are flawless...at least they have been for me going on 3 years now. And I do have to worry more about my cell phone's battery then the batteries in my metal detectors for some reason. 

strick  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...