Sign in to follow this  
LipCa

ATX Battery Use

As ATX users know, it uses two sets of 4 AA batteries. Each going into separate compartments.

The other day, my detector said it was going dead after several days of use.   Before removing the batteries from their holders, I decided to check the voltage. One set was about 2.4 volts and the other was about 4.9 volts!

I am using rechargeable which normally charge up to about 5.1 or 5.2 volts per set. So, one set had little use.

The detector was operating normal.

What feeds on these batteries...... does one set get more use than the other?

The batteries link together and feed the same circuit (the entire detector). I know this for sure having rebuilt one, and if fact I replaced both packs with a single one. My guess is you had one battery go bad. I check mine regularly with a load tester and discard weak performers.

I knew you would have the answer Steve.

Maybe two batteries weak?.... almost exactly 1/2 the voltage difference between the packs.

I'll have to get a load tester. Which one do you use?

Puzzles me why after two days (maybe 10 hours) ,  did it use so little juice from one battery pack?

Thanks.

The last part of this thread probably doesn't belong in the Garrett forum?

Came across this video for testing batteries.   Very easy to understand.

I use a Pulse Load Battery Tester

"The ZTS Mini Multi-Battery Tester (Mini-MBT) provides a comprehensive means of testing more than 15 battery types. The Mini-MBT's microprocessor-based design makes battery testing simple - using a patented, high accuracy pulse load test. After a fully automatic test cycle, percentage of remaining battery capacity is indicated on the LED bar display. Battery types are clearly labeled next to appropriate contacts. There are no settings, and test results are easy to understand. Its small size makes it ideal for the gadget bag, toolbox, or home utility drawer. Negative test lead/probe conveniently stores in seam at side. Tests 1.5v alkaline (AA, AAA, C, D, N), 1.2v NiMH/NiCd, 3v photo lithium, and 9v alkaline. Uses 4 AAA batteries (not included). Advantage of Pulse Load Technology. Battery performance is very important in today's electronic devices. The Mini-MBT computes the battery's actual remaining power capacity using a 2-second pulse load test. This pulse load simulates the real power demand that batteries experience in a high drain electronic device. So battery performance is measured, not just voltage. The load is automatically disconnected, so testing will not harm or drain the battery. Made in U.S.A. Patents 6,823,274 and D515444."

pulse-load-battery-tester.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By rcbrind
      I'm new to the forum which is excellent, I'm thinking of upgrading to either the ATX or the TDI pro, the machine will be used mostly on the beach, but an ability to coin shoot would be excellent. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    • By Keith Southern

See if you can tell what's wrong with this guys ATX video. I am pretty sure what wrong with the first part poor performance and its not got to do with the disc/delay...
      see if you can see anything..
      I know I'm not crazy..
      Keith
    • By Atlas
      Hi all,
      New to the Forum and have a problem I hope someone can help me with.
      Well I think the ATX (used) I recently got is down for the count

After the initial park test where the machine worked as advertised I took it to the lake for a water hunt. It was running real quiet and smooth at the first two beaches. Scored a silver ring and St Christopher medal on a chain Good frequency scan and GB. At the third beach I got a low batt indicator and did a battery change back at the truck.

Upon returning to the water the machine was acting real erratic with lots of false signals and LED indicators flashing up to the 7/8 range and even locking at this level. I thought well maybe its EMI or drift so I checked with my buddy who is running an infinium and he said his machine was purring like a kitten. So I did another factory reset and decide to run in ground tracking. I was still getting signals but hard to hear the faint ones with all the falsing.

I checked the battery compartment when I got home and no leaks.   Batteries were in proper polarization and no reversed cells.  So I decided to take it to the park today where I originally tested it with a fresh set of batteries. Did Freq Scan and GB. The GB seemed a little off from when I first got the machine. That is when I press the button and get the two tones I'm not hearing much ground signal. I noticed this at the lake also. Anyway tried to run and with the coil stationary I'm getting a pulsing signal from 1-4 LED range and spiking up to 7/8 range. The signal then locked at 8 and wouldn't go away without a reset but then continued the pulsing. So I decided to do a factory reset and that's when it got interesting. Usually on a factory reset I get two tones followed by the 4 battery check tones. The machine went straight to 4 tones with no LED display. So the machine is on and making spurious noises but no LED's are on. Did this a few times with the same results.

So I put the machine away and got my GP3000 out as a control test. The 3000 noise canceled and GB'd in this park fine and I dug a few signals till the rain started. Anyway this kind of rules out that there was some type of crazy EMI that can't be eliminated.

Next I called the local dealer who sold the machine to the guy I bought it from and he thought it might be the coil. back at the house I slid the shaft out a bit and had a look at the coil wire connector. Put in a new set of batts and checked the coil connector for leaks saw none but where the wire goes into the black connector there is some type of rubbery gasket material that is squeezed out a bit. Any way I fired up the machine and it went through a normal cycle with LED's and did the frequency scan but still getting that spiking signal. I can turn sens down and bring that signal down but then cant hear test targets through the signal at the low sens level.

Dealer told me to call Garrett on Monday and that is the plan. I think there is still 6 months on the Warranty but well see.
      Anyone have similar problems? I have this message posted on the ATX forum and a member there suggested testing my machine with a known good coil.  Anyone in the Reno area with an ATX and a good coil that I could use as a  test on my machine? I know that's a lot to ask but and maybe not even a good idea.   Maybe Steve will know?
    • By quinton
      Hi Guys
      New to the forum and metal detecting.  Trying to make a decision between the 3 detectors mentioned above.  I'm going to be doing most of my detecting on the Northwest beaches.  I will also be doing some park hunting and then once a year prospecting in Arizona.  I may try a little prospecting in the Northwest too if I find extra time.
      Initially thought the Excalibur was the way to go, but then after reading posts on several forums I'm starting to have doubts about its durability. I'm leaning towards the ATX at this point,  but would like to get some final input on these 3 machines before I make a final decision.  Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.
    • By Shelton
      Ok, so what about SDC 2300 for beach hunting?
      I can't find anything about that... this is weird. Any videos, reviews just nothing.
      How to compare ATX to SDC 2300 in salt conditions. Steve could you help with this?
    • By Greg

I took my ATX hunting at Lake Tahoe and found this 1899 Morgan silver dollar at 12" deep in highly mineralized ground( lots of black sand).
      Thanks for the invitation to your new forum Steve.