ATX Battery Use

LipCa

As ATX users know, it uses two sets of 4 AA batteries. Each going into separate compartments.

The other day, my detector said it was going dead after several days of use.   Before removing the batteries from their holders, I decided to check the voltage. One set was about 2.4 volts and the other was about 4.9 volts!

I am using rechargeable which normally charge up to about 5.1 or 5.2 volts per set. So, one set had little use.

The detector was operating normal.

What feeds on these batteries...... does one set get more use than the other?

The batteries link together and feed the same circuit (the entire detector). I know this for sure having rebuilt one, and if fact I replaced both packs with a single one. My guess is you had one battery go bad. I check mine regularly with a load tester and discard weak performers.

I knew you would have the answer Steve.

Maybe two batteries weak?.... almost exactly 1/2 the voltage difference between the packs.

I'll have to get a load tester. Which one do you use?

Puzzles me why after two days (maybe 10 hours) ,  did it use so little juice from one battery pack?

Thanks.

I use a Pulse Load Battery Tester

"The ZTS Mini Multi-Battery Tester (Mini-MBT) provides a comprehensive means of testing more than 15 battery types. The Mini-MBT's microprocessor-based design makes battery testing simple - using a patented, high accuracy pulse load test. After a fully automatic test cycle, percentage of remaining battery capacity is indicated on the LED bar display. Battery types are clearly labeled next to appropriate contacts. There are no settings, and test results are easy to understand. Its small size makes it ideal for the gadget bag, toolbox, or home utility drawer. Negative test lead/probe conveniently stores in seam at side. Tests 1.5v alkaline (AA, AAA, C, D, N), 1.2v NiMH/NiCd, 3v photo lithium, and 9v alkaline. Uses 4 AAA batteries (not included). Advantage of Pulse Load Technology. Battery performance is very important in today's electronic devices. The Mini-MBT computes the battery's actual remaining power capacity using a 2-second pulse load test. This pulse load simulates the real power demand that batteries experience in a high drain electronic device. So battery performance is measured, not just voltage. The load is automatically disconnected, so testing will not harm or drain the battery. Made in U.S.A. Patents 6,823,274 and D515444."

pulse-load-battery-tester.jpg