First Winter Storm

Poured rain here all night in Reno. Supposedly 3-4 feet of snow up in the high country - we will see when the clouds lift!

We are off to a mild start and I am still out detecting, though I have mostly shifted gears to coin and jewelry detecting. I hope to stay active detecting through the entire winter - if not through mild weather here then by driving to where it is milder.

It is heading into summer in Oz. Soon it will be too cold here for detecting in northern areas. And soon it will be too hot to go detecting in parts of Australia!

On the other hand temps are just right for the folks down in Arizona. There is always someplace gold is being found.

How are those of you who are facing an “off season” planning on dealing with it?

• Like 5

If I had my equinox I would think about making a trip to England in February or March. But like you  Steve trying to metal detect whenever I can and Wherever I can.

RD

Winter is rapidly closing in on us here in Oregon, although we have been finding a few small pieces lately.  We expect to get in a few more short day trips after the morning thaw before we are force to quit for the season.  Sent my Gold Bug 2 off for much needed repair yesterday, but have a Gold Monster and the 4500 hanging in the basement.  We'll mostly just talk and dream about how great it will be next spring.

• Like 1

Last year at this time here in AZ  where I live we had snow on the ground at this time last year this time it the complete opposite in the 70s and nothing freezing last year I remember having to put one of those small buddy heaters in with my pressure pump that feeds water from my storage tank just to keep my water lines from freezing this year so far is beautiful so far

Here in the UK we are still in our main detecting season,which starts initially when the crops come off in August/September depending on how the weather has been during the summer.As soon as the crops are harvested then the detecting season starts and ends depending on the crops sown of course,but i can detect for the most part right upto feb/march on cropped land but all year round basically on pasture.

Some farmers as soon as the seed hits the ground will basically say that the fields are out of bounds till harvest time,some are very laid back and will allow like some of my permissions upto about 3'' possibly 4'' of seed growth then that is out of bounds till harvest time.

Of course from say April through till Harvest time detecting land can get very hard too find and even then if you are able to detect the ground can be like concrete and you then would need a digger to dig your find/s out the ground.But as luck would have it i usually end up on pasture which i like and often the targets are much deeper,but always have a backup magnet and rope in the car for a spot of 'magnet fishing' thats rather nice during the hot summer months,or i even like a spot of detecting on river crosssings like fords and near ancient bridges that man has used for over a 1000+ years.

In theory we have nearly all year round detecting,i dont mind detecting in the cold,hot or even when the ground is soaking wet but never liked detecting when its chucking it down with rain,that is not my idea of fun.

• Like 1

We're also getting some rain today..thinking I should have bought an sdc 2300 and a raincoat. But come to think of it I can wrap a bag over my control housing of the 4500 and a waterproof coil. Thankfully No snow....that would put a damper on my hunting time...

I have all my cold weather gear at the ready :ph34r:

It was -4*c/24.8*f in Scotland during the early hours Trouble is they had 90mph winds /144.8kph, That bought the wind chill effect down to -18.1*c or 0.5*f.

Just an average balmy day compared to Iditarod or Yukon Quest weather but not good for a country that is not prepared, as always, lol. Baffin and CG to the rescue, haha these people never learn  :laugh:

Comfort food at the ready, Bring it on  :tongue:

J.

https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_windchill

We are having a very unusual cool November in NQ OZ, good for detecting. Normally peaks around the 40-43deg C but getting only to 33deg with 16deg in early morn. Had a bit of a giggle at JWs Sydney harbor bridge starting here and ending up in NZ, crikey I thought it only went as far as Tasmania.........

Suspect with all the extra Hurricane activity you folks had in your summer, we are going to cop much the same over the next few months. Anyway whatever the weather brings as long as there is a wee bit of yellow mixed amongst it for all of us, we will suffer whatever.