Video - Chasing Faint Signals In Iron

A couple things I like about this video:  1) he shows failed digs -- no cherrypicking just the good finds.  That's REAL detecting.  2) He shows the detector's reaction to targets.  Yeh, it's nice to see someone pull a nice find out of the ground, but what do I learn from just that?  Zero, zilch, nada.

I don' t have an XP Deus nor have I ever used one.  So my last point may simply mean that I don't have a dectector which performs in the same way.  My wonder is why he's using a large coil in a trashy site.  IMO, there are two advantages of large coils:  A) they cover more ground for a fixed time allotment; B) they go deeper for most targets (not tiny ones), but that depth gain isn't at all linear in coil size.  A big disadvantage is that their size 'sees' more targets causing target confusion when the metal matrix is tightly spaced -- that is in trashy ground.  And that effect is non-linear in the wrong direction, meaning (in simple thought) it is proportional to area of coil, not just the long (or short) dimension.  To put it all together, a large coil doesn't give you the coverage/time improvement in trashy ground because you need to work slowly there.  And it adds to target confusion.  So the depth gain is about all that's left, but depth doesn't help if you can't pull the deep signal out of the (trashy) noise.  What am I missing?

13 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

My wonder is why he's using a large coil in a trashy site.  IMO, there are two advantages of large coils:  A) they cover more ground for a fixed time allotment; B) they go deeper for most targets (not tiny ones), but that depth gain isn't at all linear in coil size.  A big disadvantage is that their size 'sees' more targets causing target confusion when the metal matrix is tightly spaced -- that is in trashy ground.  And that effect is non-linear in the wrong direction, meaning (in simple thought) it is proportional to area of coil, not just the long (or short) dimension.  To put it all together, a large coil doesn't give you the coverage/time improvement in trashy ground because you need to work slowly there.  And it adds to target confusion.  So the depth gain is about all that's left, but depth doesn't help if you can't pull the deep signal out of the (trashy) noise.  What am I missing?

As far as the coil size. In my opinion anyway. The Deus is so much faster response than any other detector I've used that it is still as good or better than say an AT Pro or a CTX3030 at separating trash. That's why the Deus is so amazing.

I would totally agree with you on most other detectors. I havnt used the 13" coil on the Deus but on the 11" that is what I have found.