Does anybody know why a gravel bar in a creek on Google Earth would show as Pink instead of black and white? This is in central Indiana, not much in colored rocks or mineral deposits in the area. It is a glacial gold area and with copper nuggets but they don't show up on aerial maps. I did spot a large gray clay stream bank on another creek which had alternating layers of red and gray just above the creek line like an ice cream cake. Too bad its owned by the state and they refuse to let us prospect there. It is a known gold creek too.

It cannot be seen without Google Earth and a Historical Imagery view of the woods taken March 30 ,2005, otherwise tree cover blocks the view on both of these creeks.

What's the best color laser printer for around $300 for aerial map prints?

-Tom V.

Don’t know on all counts Tom. Did you ever hike in and find out?

Its all private property so can't just hike in plus its 150 miles away. Plus its deer hunting season so kinda dangerous to be out prospecting for now.

I need to get my butt off my chair and go check a creek I map dowsed about 60 miles away.

Sure would be nice if it is a gold creek and so close to home. About a dozen farm ditches come together right before there and the resulting creek is like 40 feet wide with fast water, gravel, and bedrock areas. But there are 4 land owners to deal with. It is an old coal mining area and world famous iron concretion fossils just 20 miles away where Joe Public is allowed to collect but NOT dig for these things. Sposed to be ferns, amphibians, and such in these concretions mainly at Pit number 11 of the old strip mining area I hear. I did get a few colors in a creek 5 miles away.

I just got a new triangular shaped alluvial sluice from a seller in Surprise,Arizona to try out too.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Jin
      Ok, this is going to give away my lack of real-life gold hunting experience.
      I've heard two different responses to this question so I'm left a little confused and hoping someone can clear this up. 
      My question is:  In most cases would the larger pieces of gold travel less and be closer to the source and the smaller pieces travel further away? (this is what I would think would happen)
      On the few occasions if found patches I've found the larger bits were closer to the shedding reef but have sometimes experienced the complete opposite with some of my bigger finds a lot further down the slope. (maybe two different sheddings? ... they say that a reef at one time may have been a lot higher, so gold shed at different intervals may be in different spots)
      For those that have found patches what has been your observations?
      Cheers Jin 
    • By wanderer
      I am going out on my first detecting trip I think I'll be using an xterra 705.  The area I am interested in  is south western idaho generlly around  silver city the war eagle mine  and a few other spots up there> I still have alot to do in terms of research  and permission.   I t looks promising , rugged and well who knows?   Does anyone know if this  is what you would call a mineralized soil area?   I may drive on over to  the Jordan valley area of oregon as well.    any knowledge on this location?
      Thanks in advance.
    • By SittingElf
      We are going to be moving to Tinker AFB, OK in June, but in the meantime, while still based on Eglin AFB, FL, I have been researching old, now demolished family housing areas to hunt before we leave.
      I have discovered a major housing area, where all the homes were built between 1955 and 1962. Still standing in 1969, but now demolished and open fields. Very easy to research using NETRonline Historic Aerials against current Google Satellite maps.
      The kicker of this area is that it is on-base, and due to very restricted access, these fields are very likey virgin for hunting. I expect a lot of silver, wheaties and more in the front areas of these homes, as well as the always-open fields behind the housing circles, where kids would play, and parties held. Only hunting them will prove out my theory, but I have four remaining weeks at Eglin to find what I can!
      Here are the Aerial vs. current satellite pics.  After we leave, I hope someone into MD'ing will be assigned to Eglin and find this post. (Of course, I hope I've already recovered ALL the silver!! LOL)

• By Sourdoughmoe
      I have a question??? If gold is found on some beaches all over the world could it be found in sand under the tundra in Alaska????