Garrett ATX Strip Down & Rebuild

This project was the only reason (at that time) I joined this forum, since then the forum has become my first go to place for reliable detector information and big credit to Steve for the great work, but, as the say in this part of the world, get the finger out :laugh:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

OK, spent a lot of time thinking about possible rod mount and hip or chest mount configurations and where I wanted everything located. Got the holes drilled for coil connector, headphone connector, and power switch. Drilled a set of holes for the speaker and got the speaker glued into the inside, glue setting up now. Progress finally being made!

• Like 3

The "Gold Savage" LTX   Africa Here we Come! :laugh: cant wait Go Stevo!

Must admit i am really looking forward and seeing how this all works out,dont plan on using a ATX but some of these similar PI machines like the Vallon PI that are often on Ebay at the moment that can be picked up for basically peanuts,cosmetically they may be slightly rough but the guts inside is all i would be interested in.So will follow this thread very closely.

The end, as they say, is near! Here is a peek into the nearly complete control box. I need to get a little more fine wire tomorrow morning to connect up the power switch. Battery box will be mounted on inside of the control box cover. More on that later.

garrett-atx-main-circuit-board-in-box.jpg

Here is how it would look if hung around my neck as a chest mount. The control panel is obvious, as should be the speaker. It is under the circuit board glued onto the inside of the box. Plastic cone waterproof speaker so no worries about getting water in holes. I rarely use an external speaker anyway and have speaker cover decals that I usually put over the speaker grill, which can be peeled off if I do want to use the external speaker. Power switch and headphone connector up top for easy access while chest mount. Coil connector is on the down facing end. It can hip mount like this also.

garrett-atx-control-box-layout.jpg

Here is what it will look like mounted on a rod, much like the Minelab GPX setup. Controls and speaker facing towards me from right side. Headphones and power switch on rear. Coil connector up front. The rail connector on the top edge of the box will mate to the GPX arm cup assembly.

The old Minelab SD design just made sense. If you run large heavy coils you need to put the control box as far back as possible under arm to act as a counterbalance. This is designed to configure several ways but the Minelab style setup will be used with the main coil.

Now that I am back on this I can't wait to get it together and set up several ways with pictures and weights. Probably tomorrow or day after at absolute latest.

garrett-atx-control-box-side-layout.jpg

• Like 9

OK, picked up a bit more wire and a few connectors. I had that White's battery box sitting around and so I am using it instead of two separate packs like in the ATX. If I was doing this right I would rig something up using rechargeables that could be charged while in the detector so I never have to open it up. First I would like to make sure the thing even still works before doing that, and frankly for the limited hours I am likely to be using this in a year opening it up to change batteries is not an undue hardship. I can upgrade later if I desire.

I simply glued the battery box to the inside of the lid, and have disconnects in case I want to completely pull it off for some reason, but I have enough extra wire it should be fine as is. I used butt connectors for the speaker wires but thought it looked too cheesy so soldered the rest of the connections and sheathed with shrink tubing. The glue I used for the battery box to lid was taking too long to set up, so I hooked up a coil and flipped the power switch. Noise - yay!! but no lights on control panel, oh-oh. I pried the circuit board up (using velcro was a good idea) and decided I must have put the little white flat cable in the connection upside down. Flipped it over, gave it another go - now I have noise and lights! I turned the sensitivity down, did a frequency scan, she settled right down. Passed my ring over the coil, good signal. IT WORKS! I am always a little surprised when that happens. I guess I worry too much about screwing something up.

I need to let the glue set up overnight, and tomorrow I will rig the box up and a couple different rod assemblies with different coils, and get some weights to compare to the original 6.9 lbs that made me start this whole project in the first place. Just how much weight did I end up saving? Tomorrow, final answers and the end of the longest and last detector rebuild I ever attempt.

garrett-atx-main-circuit-board-in-box-with battery-holder.jpg

garrett-atx-battery-holder.jpg

• Like 2

I am sure Garrett will see the humor in using a Whites battery holder. In know its done because the Whites battery box is simple, practical and easy to use but it would be funny to have a sticker on the side which says "Powered by Whites Electronics".

I look forward to seeing this new Franken-tector out in the field soon when - "Its Alive!".

Frankie.jpg

• Like 1