Garrett ATX Strip Down & Rebuild

On 1/16/2023 at 11:34 PM, HardPack said:

Me too!  What a read, I just learned after 10 years my old White TDI SL has apparently missed a bunch of 1/4 ounce gold nuggets. After a recent search on my part for a newer better replacement it appears, in my absence while reading, that Minelab has climbed the mountain with their 7000 and has turned back down-slope with the 6000. The only thing I see keeping the new axiom from getting out of the way before being buried by an imagined top secret GPZX 5500 is the ML military grade SDC 2300; pre-owned ML GPX 5000’s equipped with all those slightly used multi-shaped coils; and the military grade under-water ATX.  I don’t know how much lead there is in a “three ringer” or how many nickels there are in the sea nor how much warehouse space there is east of Dallas. But when that hoped for modestly priced, light-weight, land-based, quarter ounce nugget vacuuming pulse induction detector hits the market place the assumption could be made that the true cost impact was factored by someone who stepped on their slide rule while searching for batteries for their outdated TI calculator. So here I sit and ponder, should I give up my 3.5 pound nugget missing single minded PI for 5.4 lbs of old military grade waterproofing; for 6.9 lbs of even older military grade waterproofing; or for an expensive 4.2 lbs. rain resistant new comer. Or should I just wait a couple of years for the dealers to catch with all those axiom pre-orders once they sell off their existing shelf stocks of those not that hard to find 4.2 pounders. How many more 1/4 ounces nuggets would be added during this wait to those already missed. Hell by that time with all this water falling from the sky I could scoop them up with that light-weight mud-resistant shovel I was eye balling down at the army/navy surplus store. Well, that’s about a full circle..or is it.   Who’s Nokta?

It’ll be tough for other manufacturer’s to beat the Axiom’s weight, construction, and price point! If you need waterproof, go with the SDC2300 or ATX.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 1:23 PM, rled2005 said:

It’ll be tough for other manufacturer’s to beat the Axiom’s weight, construction, and price point!

Nokta Makro, Fisher and Minelab may demonstrate differently within the next couple of years. If I remember correctly, didn’t Fisher recruit some of the key people working for White MD during a critical analog to digital transition period for White MD prior to Garrett’s purchase White MD.  Wasn’t White MD TDI series at $1195 and the Garrett ATX at $2150 competing for market shares during this period.  Is the Impulse AQ a Fisher.

2 hours ago, HardPack said:

The current Garrett ATX is in direct competition with the Garrett Axiom. In any competitive business timing is everything or you will eat those develop costs. I am the consumer this time and not the seller and I assure you there are other options available. Garrett either needs to upgrade the ATX or pull it off the market. 

The ATX has it's place until the Axiom becomes waterproof. And that would add some weight to the Axiom. I don't need waterproof, myself.

• Like 2