Minelab Equinox Tones & Advanced Tone Options

Great information.  Thanks, Steve, for taking the time to put this together in such a coherent manner.

There has been a lot of talk lately that the 600 is the much better bargain, especially once Minelab said that multi freq will operate exactly the same on both units.  But imho the adjustability on the 800 is well worth the price difference, especially once you throw in the wireless headphones and WM08 module.  Sort of like the clipped wings of the VX3 vs the full-featured V3i.  

Besides the 20 and 40 kHz single freq modes, the only big differences between the 600 and 800 are the tone adjustments.  Your explanation ought to really help out anyone trying to decide between the 600 or go all-out and order the 800.  

I think you just sold a bunch more 800's.  :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the price break between the two, I would be very surprised if the pre-sales for the 600 are anywhere near the 800... but for those that may be waiting for the 800 to become available after the backlog of pre-orders... the 600 sitting on the shelf might be very appealing. 

So Steve, reading through your description of the adjustable tone breaks... it sounds similar in concept to the CTX tone bins (5 bins... 4 non ferrous and one ferrous) for the 800... am I thinking about that correctly, or should I read through your post again..  I know that one criticism of the CTX was the need for an additional (or a few additional) tone bins... so interesting that Minelab has stayed with the 5 or 50 stance.  But I may be way off base in that comment... Tim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know. Lower price detectors far, far outsell top end models. It only seems otherwise because on the forums everyone talks about top end detectors. Considering what a new detectorist could get previously for $649 the Equinox 600 is like an automatic upgrade to a top tier model without the top tier price.

But yeah, baby, 800 all the way for this kid! :smile: For most forum denizens used to paying over a grand for a flagship detector $899 sure will not be a problem.

The Equinox actually exceeds the CTX on tone options in one way. There are four non-ferrous tones on the CTX can be moved around, but the ferrous tone can't be split in combined mode. Many people have requested the ability to split the ferrous into two zones. That can be done easily on the Equinox 800 by going to Five Tone mode. Assign two segments to the ferrous region as you wish, and distribute the remaining three non-ferrous segments. You would have only three tones non-ferrous but in return you would have the ferrous split into small ferrous and large ferrous. This is something relic hunters will appreciate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah, I see. That's very cool! I understand what you're saying about the lower price model appealing to a lot of people. The apparent functionality and technology that you can get in the 600 seems to be unparalleled at that price point. My only comment is the difference in price between the mid-level, and the flagship model have never been so close. And yes, 800 for this guy all the way too :-)

• Like 3

Steve thanks for posting the 600 vs 800 info.  I've been following the Equinox since it was announced, and dissecting the info as Minelab releases it.  Although I think the 600 is a great deal for the price, for the paltry difference the 800 is where it's at.  Aside from the Prospecting mode, and 20 & 40kHz frequencies, there are enough other features the advanced user will find useful that it's money well spent at the end of the day (not to mention wireless headphones and wireless headphone module).  

I've never been a prospector, but the 800 with it's 40kHz prospecting option is appealing.  I'm interested in how it will do, and hoping to try it at Rye Patch, which I know has been pounded to death, but would be an interesting place to test it out.  

HH,
Brian

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The Equinox actually exceeds the CTX on tone options in one way. There are four non-ferrous tones on the CTX can be moved around, but the ferrous tone can't be split in combined mode. Many people have requested the ability to split the ferrous into two zones. That can be done easily on the Equinox 800 by going to Five Tone mode. Assign two segments to the ferrous region as you wish, and distribute the remaining three non-ferrous segments. You would have only three tones non-ferrous but in return you would have the ferrous split into small ferrous and large ferrous. This is something relic hunters will appreciate.

The other thing that occurred to me when reading through your post again, is that I need to stop thinking in tems of the minelab grid, a la Explorer, Etrac and CTX..  this is more linear in its target id.. or a meter.  So the adjustable tones are divided by sections of the linear (albeit portrayed in an arch) meter, as opposed to bins.  Boy am I looking forward to this machine!

• Like 3

I have modified the original post. I had noted the Equinox 600 and Equinox 800 Fifty Tone options as being identical when that is no longer the case. The Equinox 800 will have the ability to customize the 50 Tone option, something I have not seen in previous “Full Tone”, “Multitone”, or “Delta Pitch” options on past detectors. Usually when you go full tones a detector just assigns a progressively higher preset tone to each target id number. The Equinox 800 will offer the ability to modify the 50 Tone option in ways I have not seen before. More on that later.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2017 at 6:24 PM, Tiftaaft said:

Ah, I see. That's very cool! I understand what you're saying about the lower price model appealing to a lot of people. The apparent functionality and technology that you can get in the 600 seems to be unparalleled at that price point. My only comment is the difference in price between the mid-level, and the flagship model have never been so close. And yes, 800 for this guy all the way too :-)

I totally agree, The more I read and hear about the 800 the more I want it and this waiting is killing me!!! Lol, but that's how it is, I'll just back and patiently wait like everyone else... Plus that gives me time to look for my DD214....

• Like 1