Detecting Dredge Piles Question?

oneguy

Thanks for the help.   I was hunting in iron reject and auto sensitivity and noticed that the GM seems to reject smaller iron but not the larger stuff?  These larger rusty iron pieces would hit to the right and sound off.  I started to use the "raise the coil" technique to determine if I was dealing with another large chunk of iron.....raise coil 12+" off ground and if still going off loud and clear...move on?  I also dug some old square nails while in iron reject?  I did notice that some borderline "iffy" signals would give me  a back and forth reading and also sometimes a rough, harsh, not clean sound like a lead bullet.  I also started to not dig some of the not so "clean" hits that wouldn't hit "clean" in several directions?  Any lead, even really small, would hit loud and "clean".  There have been several times I've thought while out "I sure dig a lot of iron for supposedly rejecting iron?"  But then I also sometimes notice the meter moving left and no sound....so I assumed the iron reject is working....just not good on larger iron????   This machine is pretty straight forward(?) but I suppose I could have something messed up in my settings?   I run in auto sensitivity (spot in center filled on display).....iron reject (shallow sign with only gold bar).....  Volume set about halfway up. I run Senhauser headphones.

I thought it would be best to run in iron reject and auto until I learned the machine better? Not to mention yesterdays area was pretty dirty with iron......   Is there a chance auto sens could be to "hot".....maybe try manual sens at a lower setting?  Maybe I got a bad machine?

• Like 1

A couple times I got the overload but just a couple.  I got into the habit of re- checking my holes years ago so got that covered. I also start out digging almost everything to try and learn the machine...then the closer I get to the end of the day the lazier I get and look for the cleaner hits....lol  I'll eventually get it....just takes more time.  Also really looking forward to getting on the claim with it, should be much cleaner ground and also looking forward to sticking that small coil in the river, etc.....

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!