8" Coil For Equinox

Ringmoney

Steve if you have the ear of Minelab, would you please try and get it into their heads that if they want to compete with XP in Europe, they will have to come out with a coil suitable for hunting in stubble fields. The 11" is to big and 6" is to small, what is needed is a 8"-9" round. I am looking forward to the 800 but all ready I am thinking I cant get rid of the Deus for this fact and if I cant get rid of the Deus, I just cant justify buying an Equinox. I would still own my CTX if there was a proper selection of coils. 

Yup, I agree an 8" would be great and many others agree also. Believe me, I always lobby hard for coils but you have to start somewhere. Three coils at launch is just a start. If Equinox is as popular as I think it will be there will be an entire cottage industry spring up making accessory items for it, including coils. If that's an issue just stick with what you have until the coil you want appears on the scene.

Besides, you have Minelab's ear. I keep telling people these forums are closely watched and it matters what you say and how you present yourself. The Equinox did not pop out of thin air.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Besides, you have Minelab's ear. I keep telling people these forums are closely watched and it matters what you say and how you present yourself. The Equinox did not pop out of thin air.

This whole concept of Minelab listening to its customers is a bit alien to most of us :biggrin: Yes the Equinox did not pop out of thin air and yes peoples 'wants' have influenced its design, but one has to think, was its introduction because of what people wanted or was it in reaction to reduced sales??

I have used Minelabs since the mid 90's and have used just about every BBS/FBS unit ever since but I actually don't own a Minelab anymore even though I am an avid beach hunter????  My love with Minelab ended a few years ago, for various reasons like the factory closing in Ireland, the competition suited some sites better but the fact coils are not available for the CTX that suit my needs. With the introduction of the chip inside the coil I realised that there will never be any available, and 5 years later has proved that fact. Sure Minelab have sold more coils than on older units but the question should be, how many more CTX's would have sold if coils were available???

48 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If Equinox is as popular as I think it will be there will be an entire cottage industry spring up making accessory items for it, including coils. If that's an issue just stick with what you have until the coil you want appears on the scene.

Haha, the day I can get rid of the cute little French thing will be a very happy day for me :laugh: I hate the thing, I call it the "evil necessity"   I do a lot of detecting on a festival site, which is a important part of my income, and up to now Deus package being fast, wireless headphones and light, just cant be bet till now hopefully. The Rutus Alter 71 is close and it has a suitable 9" coil, so now a combination of the Rutus and Equinox should fulfil all my needs (excluding the TDI for beach) until suitable coils come out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yup, I agree an 8" would be great and many others agree also. Believe me, I always lobby hard for coils but you have to start somewhere. Three coils at launch is just a start. If Equinox is as popular as I think it will be there will be an entire cottage industry spring up making accessory items for it, including coils. If that's an issue just stick with what you have until the coil you want appears on the scene.

Steve

I believe I mentioned this before, but worth bringing up again, at least to me.  Could you inquire about whether concentric coils will work on the Equinox?   The 9" concentric on the 705 swings thru the water soo easy it's hard not to love. LOL

Tom

21 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If Equinox is as popular as I think it will be there will be an entire cottage industry spring up making accessory items for it, including coils.

There are half a dozen aftermarket coil manufacturers in both Australia and Europe who make coils for much less popular (in terms of sales numbers) detectors than the Equinox is going to be.  I suspect they are going to be stepping all over each other (and Minelab) getting compatible coils on the market.  They might even beat Minelab's release of the Equinox!

Minelab would be wise not to impede aftermarket coils in any way. Actively helping and encouraging them would be best. As Ringmoney illustrates coil selection is a very important factor with any new detector, and expanding the selection as rapidly as possible can do nothing but help Minelab sell more Equinox detectors.

• Like 3

I am too really hoping for aftermarket coils. One of the main reasons for me going from a CTX 3030 to the older E-Trac was because of coil availability.. I'm a huge fan of the NEL Gen 5 Tornado Coil.  Super light and mounted on the E-Trac was deeper then my CTX/ 17" Coil combo.  It will be the first coil I buy if and when it is released for the Equinox.. The Hunter is another of my favorite coils on the E-Trac.. It's a great yard coil. Perfect combination of depth, coverage and separation for a moderately junky site. I preferred this coil to my SunRay X-8.. I'm not the most patient guy so it's my small coil. I lose interest real fast running the tiny 6" coils.  Funny, it doesn't bother me when nugget hunting for some reason..

Bryan