My Equinox " Coming Out " Statement

On the CTX, you could adjust Volume Gain (Target volume) and use it to your advantage as an assist in depth of targets. Some argued, set it on 30....we want to hear all targets, yet others  (with good hearing and headphones) used it to their advantage for finding older coins at depth. Is there any magic the 800 can do to emulate the Volume Gain on the 3030? May be best in a separate thread?

Keep up the info dumps as you can....although I don't post much, I'm a sponge when it comes to good information!

Cliff

• Like 1

Hello Steve,

Unless I missed it somewhere in a previous post, I was wondering if you were part of the Equinox development team.  With all the great info you have been providing, it isn't a wonder that many of us are very exited about the pending release. I guess I now have my answer.

This is what I enjoy most about your forum....unbiased opinions from someone who could care less about detector brands.  As the old saying goes, "you tell it like it is"  nothing more nothing less.

PS....I have the 800 pre-ordered....can't wait to swing this bad boy on the So. Cal. beaches.

THANKS AGAIN STEVE....AWESOME FORUM !!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2017 at 9:19 AM, cdv said:

On the CTX, you could adjust Volume Gain (Target volume) and use it to your advantage as an assist in depth of targets. Some argued, set it on 30....we want to hear all targets, yet others  (with good hearing and headphones) used it to their advantage for finding older coins at depth. Is there any magic the 800 can do to emulate the Volume Gain on the 3030? May be best in a separate thread?

I was never an "expert" with the CTX and so I am not in a position to comment on that because I am not familiar with the trick you are referring to and how well it works. All I can tell you is the volume and tone adjustments on the Equinox are covered pretty well on the other thread. And for that matter I still have things to learn about the Equinox.

On 11/21/2017 at 9:32 AM, jjm861 said:

Unless I missed it somewhere in a previous post, I was wondering if you were part of the Equinox development team.

I have been very carefully avoiding that question, and this post was my official "letting the cat out of the bag". Yes, I have been involved with Minelab on Equinox development and quite proud of it. Unfortunately I can't say a single other thing about that other than to confirm it! It is all about what happens from here on out that matters.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I am not sure I can claim to be unbiased anymore however.

Involved or not involved... I, for one, will never accuse you of being biased.  You have addressed all the questions I have had on various makes and models of machines with honesty, tact and professionalism.  You may point out the limitations of a machine in your experiences, but you also point out the advantages.  I appreciate that, I know others do as well.  I also know that successful detecting is your priority, no matter what machine gives you that edge, and you wouldn't be selling your other machines if you thought there was slightest advantage to you while hunting by keeping them.  I am sure you weren't looking for accolades, or an amateur detector such as myself to step up and defend your honor... but here I am anyway.  Your insights on the forum and detailed responses to even my most inane questions make my detecting experience better... everyday.  so thanks Steve.  Tim.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tim - that was kind of you!

The only inane questions are the ones that don't get asked. I love answering questions and explaining stuff - should have been a teacher I guess. Discussing detecting and helping people makes me happy, so thanks in more ways than one! :smile:

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I love answering questions and explaining stuff - should have been a teacher I guess. Discussing detecting and helping people makes me happy

All my comments are well deserved.  And the above quote begs the question/suggestion....  "Steve Herschbach Detecting Bootcamp".  Just putting it out there.  and sign me up for every session. Tim.

• Like 2

Just now, Steve Herschbach said:

As well as any VLF can do out there competing with roving bands of GPZ 7000 owners! Rye Patch is actually fairly mild ground and not much of a challenge for a VLF so the Equinox will have no problems there. The hard part is simply getting over a nugget.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and share your cat out of the bag testimonial :smile:

You testing the Equinox is a confidence booster, as is Brandon.  As you likely know, I mostly detect ghost towns, stage stops, old home sites, Spanish outpost type spots,  and similar early types of sites, primarily in California and Nevada.  Most of them have been detected since the dawn of detecting, yet they continue to yield finds for those patient enough, and willing to dig in some of the worst possible conditions (thick iron and being that many of them are in gold and silver bearing areas, they can also be highly mineralized).   I have high hopes for the Equinox 800, and you and Brandon are sharing similar thoughts.   I know that Brandon also frequents the same type of sites I enjoy detecting (heck even some of the same ones), honestly I don't know if you only detect for gold, or also are a relic hunter?   

As I mentioned before I've never gotten into prospecting, mainly due to having my hands full detecting the type of sites mentioned above.  Now with a detector that's fully capable of being a solid VLF gold machine, and multi-freq beach, park, relic machine, it really opens up options for someone that's arsenal is mainly VLF relic detectors, along with an old multi-freq CZ70 that gets used once a year at the beach when a good erosion event occurs.   I think it's time to thin out the heard, and follow your lead :wink:

Thanks,
Brian

• Like 1