A Short Hunt, Snagged 1

28 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

(Above in reference to the Eagle button)

Would you explain why lightweight indicates it's not authentic military?  I have a couple which I'm pretty sure are authentic issue and they are both two-piece hollow, so lightweight.  (Mine don't look like yours, but there have been lots of different designs, even/especially in the 19th century, so I don't think that means anything in terms of authenticity.)

GB, 

That piece was part of a two piece belt plate that clips into what they call tongue holder part of the belt buckle. I have found military issue ones but they are made (cast) from brass and are solid and heavier compared to the ones mass produced. Many of these found today in the goldfields are bought by gold seekers headed to the goldfields from for example San Francisco or their local merchants they bought other provisions before they set out on their quest. As far as buttons, i have also found eagle D's , and A's center of eagles chest. Those are cavalry ..D stood for the Dragoons. I am no expert, just research I have done after a find..always curious as to what it is and where it came from. Don't throw any of those away....they are valuable to collectors. 

belt.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the clarification, AuW.  Yes, I have a 'D' (dragoon) button also, which I think was from the 1846-1848 Mexican-American War.  Among other things, the result of that made California part of the US.  How that button ended up in my neighborhood I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure it's authentic.

I also enjoy researching my finds, even those that have no collector value.  History is fun to experience!