Using Old Headphones On GM 1000

Andyy

My apologies if this has been covered.  I did some searches and did not find answers to the question.  

I have a GPZ with headphones (Sun Ray Pros) and would like to use these on my new Gold Monster 1000.  I have tried the typical stereo conversion cable and it still did not work.  By not work, I mean the sound stays on speaker.  It did not work for Sun Rays or Black Widows headphones.   But of course, the original GM1000 headphones *do* work.   But we all know how cheesy those are.  So far, the only solution I have heard involves opening up the headphones and making permanent modifications.  Has anyone else been successful at this?   (see my attempted conversion cable below..)5a1500e64899d_HeadphoneAdapter.JPG.d3e9981ab86a18a8c47dd222d4293272.JPG

My Minelab phones that came with my new GM wouldn't even work...bad connection!  So I dug out my Seinnhauser 280(?) pro's that I've used for my Etrac and also my drumming for over 7 yrs now and they worked fine on the GM.  They are noise cancelling audiophile phones with a LONG cord and come with a 1/4" jack and you unscrew that jack and underneath is the 1/8" jack. Think I paid $70 for them 7 yrs ago....????  Also stopped the external speaker sound.    Love em.

• Like 1

Minelab usually wire audio positive to tip & negative to ring.

They use the shield wire/connection for various things like sensing headphones in the CTX to shut the speaker off or on the GPX where there is no shield connection trip on the inbuilt amp for external speaker use (if correctly wired).

A true 1/4" TRS to 1/8" TRS cable should work? Are you sure it's wired TRS on both ends? Check that first if you don't want to modify the headphones - easier to check & modify the cable if needed.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Steve in Idaho said:

I had to rewire my good Nugget Buster head phone cord so it will work with my GM 1000. I put a 1/8" plug on the end that had a 1/4 ' plug. They work fine now.

Yep.  That is what I've heard.  Stereo cord alone will not do it.  

It's a strange one because if it's wired like the CTX (see page 2 of attachment) then TRS wiring, or even mono wiring, should be "sensed" by the detector electronics & shut off the internal speaker - (assuming Minelab use the same headphone sensing circuit on all their machines with an internal speaker) - the cable shouldn't really matter unless it's been wired to tip/ring only.

Maybe try a straight 1/8" male to 1/4" female adapter too? Like this: https://www.storedj.com.au//hosa-gmp-112-1-4-trs-f-to-3-5mm-trs-m-adaptor?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0abf8ZzT1wIVWCQrCh1cLA4CEAQYAiABEgJS-_D_BwE

That may work & they can be picked up cheaply. Be a shame to modify headphones with a 1/4" plug to 1/8" just for the GM. Or look for a cheap set of Sennheiser HD280's that are good detecting phones & have the screw off 1/4" to 1/8" adapter wired on.

CTX-3030-Audio-Options-KBA_21-2.pdf

minelab-ctx-gpz-wireless-module-headphone-wiring-page-2.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AussieMatt said:

Maybe try a straight 1/8" male to 1/4" female adapter too? Like this: https://www.storedj.com.au//hosa-gmp-112-1-4-trs-f-to-3-5mm-trs-m-adaptor?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0abf8ZzT1wIVWCQrCh1cLA4CEAQYAiABEgJS-_D_BwE

That may work & they can be picked up cheaply. Be a shame to modify headphones with a 1/4" plug to 1/8" just for the GM. Or look for a cheap set of Sennheiser HD280's that are good detecting phones & have the screw off 1/4" to 1/8" adapter wired on.

CTX-3030-Audio-Options-KBA_21-2.pdf

Well, it is worth a shot.  I think page 2 of your link explains a lot.  It also tells how to use a mono to remedy the situation with alternate headphones.  I am going to try this using a 1/4" socket mono to 1/8" male stereo adapter.  This should get the sleeve connection that I am missing.  I will follow up on the result.