Beer Caps

strick

Trying to get caught up with the new Equinox as I've been away for a while. My CTX allows me to ignore these pesky little annoying objects. I can do this either  through sound, target trace or simply notching them out. I can do this confidently knowing that I am not missing coins or solid gold objects. I rarely dig bottle caps (non aluminum) with my CTX even when hunting with a wide open screen. Target trace, tone and ID help me identify them. So.... how easy is it going to be with the Equinox? I won't use my Deus in a park  because bottle caps read in the coin range. The parks where I live are littered with millions of corona bottle caps. 

strick

The big thing the CTX has that the Equinox lacks is the dual target id system combined with a 2D display that can “paint” information on multiple target id numbers onscreen in real time. Similar to the White’s SignaGraph and SpectraGraph displays, this can produce target id “smears” that help identify ferrous targets.

I have several of my long dissertations in mind as regards how the more basic linear target id system on the Equinox compares to this more visual type system. Soon. For now I can say that I have been making copper/silver signals (copper penny, dimes, quarters, etc) a particular focus. Two things ARE NOT happening.

First, I am not digging bottle caps when going after this target id range though the rare aluminum screw cap appears.

I have done less work in the nickel range because I am time limited and would rather focus on silver than nickel responses. There are some bottle caps that appear close to the nickel response.

The other thing that is not happening is aluminum is not “upscaling” to a high coin signal. This has actually been my number one problem with single frequency detectors, especially the “Euro” models. They like turning rolled up beaver tails and other smallish aluminum items into coin signals. This is a known issue with single frequency detectors in magnetite laden soils.

That’s not happening with Equinox.

Basically when I target copper/silver I only dig copper/silver unless I get very aggressive going after “iffy” targets. Just a few oddball aluminum screw caps, oddball jewelry items, etc. hit the in the same target zone.

Minelab E-trac, CTX 3030, Excalibur Versus Equinox

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for that on the bottle caps Steve.  However, the main question on my mind is how the Equinox handles iron for old site hunting.   Not sure if you can answer for me as your coin site is vastly different mineral wise from my mild ground, but how is it handling rusty nails etc for you?

Tom 

• Like 2

On 11/25/2017 at 12:21 PM, Redneck said:

Are you allowed to say what depths you are digging copper and silver coins?  I realize all soils are different.

Anyone that has followed my detector reports over the years will see that I don't talk about stuff found at X inches except in the rarest circumstances. The main reason is the dime that can be found at 10" in Florida can only be found at 6" more or less in my soil. So I get all excited by some coin I found at 7 inches and people all over the internet think I am an idiot or my detector sucks. The ground here has a very heavy magnetite content and dime readings shift to ferrous readings near 6". However, it does depend on how much peat/organic soil has been mixed in the topsoil and I do get better depths there. Unfortunately, the areas with the deeper turf also seem to be areas where that soil was brought in during the 60's or later. That means oddly enough that some of the deeper finds are not the oldest.

It gets even weirder in that what you have with Equinox is solid target id numbers combined with extremely high speed. That means that some of the most eye opening finds are not deep at all, but stuff not all that deep in the midst of dense trash that prior BBS/FBS units could not touch due to target masking.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jackpine said:

how is it handling rusty nails etc for you?

You do get some ferrous "wrapping high" but so far it appears that Minelab has managed to keep a high degree of separation between ferrous "high falsing" and silver coin signals. I don't want to talk specific target id numbers yet in case they shift but the only times I get tricked is when I in effect trick myself by digging questionable targets as part of the education process.

I have so much I want to say about ferrous handling but it needs a couple big articles. The short story is that the secret to the Equinox is full tones plus extremely high speed. Simple targets like a coin give solid hits. Complex targets create complex "audio profiles" as the detector reacts at lightning speed to changes in target composition and shape. This is a detector for those that hunt by ear.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

This is a detector for those that hunt by ear.

Steve, you do have a way with words in describing details but it is your small post ending statements that sum up the story I like the best...  can't wait to try this machine.

Cliff

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply back Steve...it is sounding better by the minute. I had to go back and re read one of your earlier threads several years ago. Now where will I fit in is the question. 

strick

• Like 1

The results sound interesting on caps and warp around effects.  I do hope this detector is tough on aluminum slaw as well.  But how about bullets on the prospecting angle?  Bullets are one critter I've yet to see anything tackle well when it comes down to nugget hunting.