Question On Equinox 800 Gold Mode

UtahRich

Steve, I thought you'd be THE guy for Minelab to engage in the US for some feedback on the Prospecting / Gold Mode.

Does your Demo Unit have the prospecting mode?

Have you had opportunity to spend time in the gold fields with the equinox and begin to get a feel for it's nose for gold?

I would assume the 6" coil would be an important part of nugget hunting with the Equinox. Do you have one?

Obviously, the equinox is not in the class of a GPZ 7000. Assuming you've been working the Equinox in the gold fields, does it approach the abilities of a dedicated VLF gold detector?

I've been looking forward to adding the equinox to my little band of detectors since it was first announced. It checked all of the boxes to fill my all weather detector gap. The prospecting mode is a bonus for me and something I've wanted to try for a long time. (Rye patch is a straight shot West your direction on I-80) So I'm crossing my fingers that the Equinox can do some moonlighting out there.

Rich (Utah)

Sorry, but you guys will have to wait still for me to offer any serious commentary on the Gold Mode. Finding gold nuggets with the Equinox 800 is not the problem. Describing it in terms of other detectors and relative performance is still a work in progress. Same basic problem as I have with most stuff at this point - until a final firmware version is settled on things can change still.

In other words, if it appears I am avoiding certain questions it is because I am, not because I did not read or understand the question. For now you will have to forgive me as I am walking a tightrope best I can.

Let’s set a baseline however for those who have used various prospecting detectors. The Minelab X-Terra 705 has a very powerful all metal prospecting mode. It is hard to say it is the best because a number of great all metal mode VLF detectors are all in the same ballpark, but it is one of the units that helps define what “best” is when it comes to a threshold based all metal prospecting mode.

You can assume the Equinox 800 will easily equal or exceed the prospecting capabilities of the X-Terra 705. For those familiar with the 705 as a prospecting unit that should provide some level of comfort. If that still leaves anyone questioning, there will be much more on this subject at a later date.

minelab-equinox-800-gold-mode.jpg
Minelab Equinox 800 Gold Mode - Good for gold nugget prospecting. This mode operates high single frequencies of 20 or 40 kHz, optimum for gold nuggets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1