phrunt

Gold Bug Pro Coil Options For Gold Prospecting

Thanks, I shall contact him and introduce myself,  I had a read of what he's been up to, seems to be very knowledgable on to the local area.

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

I have purchased 2 Gold Bug Pro's and an original T2 which I want to use for Gold Prospecting, ....

I have the 5" coil for the T2 and a Mars Tiger along with the standard 11" coil, so which of those coils do you think will be best to find small gold nuggets?

For the Gold Bug Pro's I have a Nel Snake, a Cors Fortune and the 10" Fisher coil, 5" standard coil and 11" standard coil.  Which coils should I put on the Gold Bugs? 

I also have a Gold Bug Pro and a Fisher F75 (which is a close cousin of the T2).  I've mostly done coin/relic/jewelry hunting but have used the GBP for native gold searching.  Since there are only two of you, three detectors, and your goal is finding gold I would concentrate your efforts with the two Gold Bug Pros.  First off, they are higher frequency (19 kHz vs. 13 kHz), are lighter in weight, and were designed specifically for gold hunting.  The T2 is very capable (as Steve notes) as a gold detector, but it was designed as an all-around detector, meaning it's a "jack-of-all-trades and master at none".  Secondly, the GBP's are very easy to operate, having few adjustments to make.  Set the ground balance, the threshold, the gain and you're off to the fields!  One thing to note:  'simple' doesn't mean 'inferior'.  There's a reason 'gold' and 'pro' are in the detector's name.  The T2 has more options as far as settings, and takes longer to master.

As far as coils, I would put the 5 in. X 10 in. on one and the 5 in. round on the other.  Keep the 7 in. X 11 in. in reserve for if/when you find a spot with larger pieces.  The small (especially) and medium coils are well balanced on the Pro.  The larger coil on the GBP is toe heavy and will lead to fatigue on long hunts.

Good fortune in both your finds and especially your enjoyment!

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips! I feel much more confident now as I have been given a wealth of useful information

well I found a tiny nugget the other day with my sluice, .26 of a gram, the T2 with 5" coil signals off on it just over 1.3", the Gold Bug Pro with the 10" elliptical coil sounds off nicely with it at 2.2 inches and the Gold Bug Pro with Nel Snake coil gets it nicely at 2.8 inches.  I guess I've found the best coil to use for my tiny nugget hunting.   The 10" would cover more ground but I feel i'd find it easier with the Nel Snake.

Obviously I did a very amateur test but kept the settings the same on both Gold Bug Pro's

Inside my house has a lot of interference but it messes with the T2 more than the Gold Bugs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Inside my house has a lot of interference but it messes with the T2 more than the Gold Bugs.

That sounds like what I've heard -- 13 kHz to 15 kHz detectors can be more sensitive than 19 kHz regarding EMI.  Of course detecting inside your house? :wacko:  Probably crawling with EMI.  And the T2 gives you the option of tweaking the frequency (I think; the Fisher F75 does).

Time to find a nugget with a detector.  :biggrin:

that's the plan, only problem is all the gold i've found is more than 2 inches underground

I have noticed with my sub gram nugget that unless it's within a couple of inches of the coil on the Gold Bug Pro it won't show on the bar across the top where it's telling you the numbers of what metal it is, at more than 2 or so inches it makes a zip zip sort of noise when I go over it but nothing on the top bar.  I do notice the ground phase numbers (the big ones in the center of the screen) change from what the ground balance numbers are to numbers in the 40's to 50's as I wave over it.  Is this what I'm looking for out in gold country when I am searching for tiny nuggets? I assume they won't show up on the top bar either, they will just change the ground phase and perhaps make a zipish noise, would I be right in thinking this way?

If this is so, I think i've passed over many nuggets and ignored them as I thought they would show up on the top bar in between say 35 and 60, I totally ignored signals when they just showed on the big numbers in the middle.

Sorry if my question seems silly, I'm very new to this.

Not silly at all.  The dial ID reading (some call it a 'speedometer') on the Gold Bug family of detectors uses the discrimination circuitry.  As such it's not as sensitive as the all-metal (first derivate) ciruitry.  So weak signals won't give a reading on the dial.

Typcically the ground phase will drop on a conductive target (including iron but also including positive hot rocks).  So this is a good sign in general but specifics (especially in widely varying ground) can complicate things.  I have used the lowering of the ground phase for weak signals as an indication to dig.

Gold detectors (I think it's every one) are meant to signal when the threshold sound changes.  (Obviously this requires you to set up a low volume threshold.  Kevin Hoagland says "you want the threshold to sound like a mosquito buzzing around your ear.")  Even with strong enough signals to get a dial reading on the Gold Bug, gold can be all over the map, including in the upper iron range (i.e. 30's).  From what I've read and heard, most successful gold hunters (fossikers?) hunt by ear most of the time.  Others here can give you better instruction on that.

Bottom line is your detector is working and you are working to try and understand what it's telling you.  Keep it up!

• Thanks 1

That was explained well, now I understand it. thanks so much

If you haven't read the following, It comes highly recommended.  Written by one of the design engineers of the Gold Bug, and in fact a design engineer for many gold detectors over his 35+ year career.

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/DavesGoldbook-reders.pdf

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Despite all the noise about pulse induction (PI) metal detectors these days I firmly believe that in the United States most beginning and many professional nugget hunters are often better served with a good mid-frequency VLF. For beginners I think it is more important to master the real skills involved in prospecting before investing a ton of money in a metal detector. If you can't find gold with a $700 detector there is little point in investing thousands of dollars in a detector that still probably will not find the person any gold.

Perhaps a PI is required in most of Australia but I have seen very few places in the United States where a good VLF will not work very well or at least well enough. Certainly in Alaska that is the case, where low mineral ground and smallish gold is the norm. Even locations where large gold lurks are so loaded with iron junk a PI detector has a hard go of it. It is nearly impossible to convince die-hard PI users to accept this until they experience it for themselves.

One of the best detectorists I know has found hundreds of ounces of gold including two nuggets each weighing over a pound, all with a White's MXT. He also has a GPX 5000 and is very good with it. This last summer we hunted a lot together in junk infested tailing piles. I tended to use my GPX 5000 and he tended to use his MXT. We ran neck and neck for finds, and he detected less and dug way less junk than I. When all the shallow stuff is gone a PI shows its value with extra depth. But in target rich environments, especially ones filled with junk, a good VLF is a worthy choice.

Let's set the VLF versus PI thing aside though and accept for the purposes of this article that VLF detectors are still a good choice for many people in the United States. I know for a fact I could own nothing but a VLF and do very well indeed. So what VLF to own?

Two detectors stand out in their high operating frequency as dedicated nugget detectors, the Fisher Gold Bug 2 and White's GMT. I could make a great argument for why either of these detectors will eke out gold where other detectors fail and do it consistently enough that a skilled operator would be wise to own either one. However, I think overall a better case can be made that if a person had to own just one VLF detector, a mid-frequency model would be a better choice. There is much more versatility offered plus a better balance of performance on all ground types and all gold sizes than the hot high frequency models.

The contenders from the "Big Five" brands? The Fisher Gold Bug Pro (also sold as Teknetics G2), Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold, Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ, and White's MXT. All available for around $700 more or less. This is the choice I personally faced, and the decision took several years of use to settle. What follows is purely personal but I will explain why I ended up where I did.

First up, the White's MXT. Simply a superb detector, and one that has found me pounds of gold. Yet I am just going to go ahead and blow White's off at this point! Why? The weight. I am sorry White's, but at 4.3 pounds the MXT is the heaviest detector in this slug-fest. I love what the detector does, but I am no longer willing to forgive detectors with poor ergonomic factors, weight being the most obvious. In the 21st century, the day and age of the iPhone, poor ergonomics is not acceptable. The MXT needs to lose a pound, plain and simple. So I sold my MXT after one particularly arm wearing day.

Now the Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ is a great beginners detector in that it is very easy to operate, but it also gets put aside. The detector is locked in ground tracking at all times while in all metal nugget mode. This is great for beginners but I personally find it unacceptable. I almost never use ground tracking systems as they mess with the signals from weak targets. If there was a locked or fixed mode it would be fine. Worse yet, the alternative discriminate mode has a factory pre-set ground balance. Sorry, fail. Just my opinion, but the Lobo is way overdue for an update after 16 years on the market.

Garrett is to be commended for finally producing a waterproof detector that does not penalize the owner by weighing a ton and removing all the features. The AT Gold is a miracle in being waterproof and yet fully featured, with even the speaker being waterproof. And only three pounds with batteries! This detector is so wonderful I really do feel bad about taking a pass on it here also. Why? Sadly, the waterproof design also means special o-ring connectors for the coils and headphones. If you do not need the detector to be waterproof they are delicate connectors that collect dirt and require quite a bit of care to not mess up. The coil connection in particular is in a maddening location making it almost impossible to connect coils with bare fingers alone. A special adapter must be purchased if you want to have a choice in headphones. If you want waterproof the AT Gold is an obvious choice but I do not need waterproof for most of my nugget detecting.

So down to two models, the Fisher Gold Bug Pro and Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold. Both under the magic 3 pound mark! Both with extremely powerful all metal modes. So powerful that in all metal mode these detectors give the PI units a run for depth in most ground on most gold in the US. This was tough for me as the X-Terra has a far richer feature set than the Gold Bug Pro and for many all around users would be the better choice. But I looked at both from strictly a nugget hunting perspective where those extra features are extraneous to the task at hand. It came down to this. In all metal mode the Gold Bug Pro is simultaneously and separately running in discriminate mode. The audio response is pure all metal, but you also get the probable target id, when possible, displayed on the screen. Very deep targets will have no target id, which is why we are using all metal prospect mode in the first place.

The X-Terra 705 you can run in Prospect Mode or Discriminate Mode, but not both at once. This one thing leads to more efficient detecting with all the information you need on screen at once. The Gold Bug Pro gives you the target id, ground phase, and magnetic susceptibility reading all on screen at once while in all metal mode.

That is how I settled on the Fisher Gold Bug Pro as my all around do everything nugget hunting model. It is not a coincidence it is also the lightest of the bunch at only 2.5 lbs with battery and 5” round DD coil and 2.7 lbs with the 5” x 10” DD coil. It is a basic unit that gets the job done, and that appeals to me. Plus, it does just fine for coins, relics, and jewelry if I wish. if I could improve only one thing it would be to swap the position of the target id and phase readout on the meter.

I have to wrap this up by pointing out that these are all fine detectors. I can actually find gold about as well with all of them. The engineers have mid-frequency all metal detectors figured out, and in all metal mode these models are practically equivalent. Small nuances that help one model in certain ground cost it in another and it all evens out. So from a straight up all metal nugget hunting perspective I think a person can use any one of these detectors and be just fine. What differences there are show up far more when comparing discrimination features which are of little use to the nugget hunter.

With that said, the final lesson in this article is that it is all the other factors a person should be looking at when making a choice. For me it was just lightweight basic operation. But if waterproof is important, the AT Gold is a no-brainer. The Lobo is very forgiving for beginners simply because it is locked in ground tracking mode. The MXT is a superior all-arounder, and the X-Terra has various tone schemes and notch discrimination features common on top-end detectors. You can make the case for any of them depending on your own particular needs and desires in a detector, and know you will be well served for basic all metal nugget hunting capability. We are lucky to have so many fine choices, all at very affordable prices.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Fisher Research originally released the 19 kHz Gold Bug model about 1987. It was a real breakthrough design at the time with a compact control box, S-rod, and elliptical coils. The detector is a good unit but is strictly all metal (no discrimination). It has no LCD readout and looks much like the current Gold Bug 2 but has a white lower rod and a black control panel face. Some people are confusing this old model with the new so be aware of this when looking at used detectors. The 19 kHz coils for the old Gold Bug will not work on newer versions of the Gold Bug below.

Around 2010 a number of new Gold Bug models were released by Fisher. First came the Gold Bug. Then came the Gold Bug SE (Special Edition) which added manual ground balance at a bargain introductory price. The SE with minor tweaks later became the Gold Bug Pro at a higher price. So now we have two basic versions, the Gold Bug and the Gold Bug Pro. They differ from the old 1987 model by having an LCD readout. The standard version of either detector comes with a 5" round coil. There is a Gold Bug DP (Deep Penetrating) which is nothing more than a Gold Bug Pro with an 11" x 7" DD elliptical coil instead of a 5" round DD coil.

The only difference listed by Fisher between the Gold Bug and the Gold Bug Pro is that the Gold Bug Pro has a manual adjustment option for the ground balance and also offers "higher sensitivity".

Both models use a "Ground Grab" button as a simple ground balance method that is quite effective. The Gold Bug Pro allows you to also manually adjust the ground balance setting up or down. The manual adjustment can be used in conjunction with or separately from the Ground Grab button.

The big question is the "higher sensitivity" claim. There are two possibilities here. First, that the Gold Bug Pro actually allows for higher gain or sensitivity levels. However, I was in marketing too long and have a more jaded thought. Manual ground balance allows for a higher degree of control that if used properly can get you more sensitivity. There is a very distinct possibility the higher sensitivity claim follows directly from the ability to manually ground balance the Gold Bug Pro. This could be tested with both units set side by side with identical ground balance settings and max gain. If the Gold Bug Pro is inherently more sensitive an air test should show it. I have not had the chance to do this my self but if somebody wants to there you go.

My opinion? I believe the Gold Bug and the Gold Bug Pro if outfitted with the same coil are basically the same detector. The only real difference is the manual ground balance option on the Gold Bug Pro. Do you need it? Not really, and especially when you consider that for $499 vs $649 that is probably all you are getting. The Ground Grab function is remarkably effective and would suit most people just fine.

I personally do like manual ground balance and so for me spending the extra money to get it is a non-issue. I do as a rule tell people that if cost is not an issue get the Gold Bug Pro. It is far more popular and would be easier to resell. But in all honesty I think the Basic Gold Bug is the real bang-for-the-buck unit. There is nothing else close to it at the $499 price point that offers full LCD readout target discrimination while in full power all metal prospect mode.

I should note that First Texas owns both Fisher and Teknetics. The Fisher Gold Bug DP (Gold Bug Pro with 11" coil) is marketed by Teknetics as the G2. The Fisher Gold Bug DP goes for $699 and the Teknetics G2 is $749. The $50 extra gets you a pistol grip rod instead of the Gold Bug S-rod and an arm strap. Nice gray paint scheme also. Really boils down to pistol grip vs S-rod, purely a personal preference thing.

I use the 5" x 10" elliptical myself and consider it to be the best all around coil for the Gold Bug. However, right now you have to get it as an accessory or as part of a two coil package. Fisher would be doing us a service to release the Gold Bug with this coil as standard on the unit.

My Gold Bug 2 is slightly better on the tiniest of gold but the Gold Bug Pro easily outperforms the Gold Bug 2 on larger nuggets at depth. For all around nugget detecting the Gold Bug or Gold Bug Pro (and G2) have a better balance of both small gold and large gold capability than the Gold Bug 2.

To recap first came the original 1987 era Gold Bug with knobs and switches:

Then about 2010 we got the new Gold Bug:

Followed quickly and briefly by the Gold Bug SE. Note how the plus and minus buttons now have dual functions, both Disc and Ground Balance, compared to the basic Gold Bug above:

The Gold Bug SE was basically the prototype for the Gold Bug Pro, which got a new faceplate decal and a higher price:

And finally, the Gold Bug Pro was also marketed under the Teknetics line as the G2 with a different rod/handle assembly:

Gold Bug Pro DP compared to Teknetics G2:

• By Nevada Brian
      I want to start detecting some of the iron trash dumps that I come across out nugget hunting.  I currently don't have a detector that can successfully hunt these areas.  I have done some research and have narrowed it down to two.  The MXT, proven winner and the Racer 2, because I have read good reviews.  What I need is the opinion of the users on this forum and if you think there is something else that I should consider, please let me know.
      I know the Deus excels in this area, but not sure about having to charge so many batteries.  Also, I thought I read the coils for the MXT were being discontinued??? 
      Brian.
    • By dsrtdwg1
      Hello,
      I am new to the forum and new to detecting. I have a little over a month park detecting with a couple of flea market acquired Bounty Hunter  detectors. I am ready to pull the trigger on a nugget focused detector and have narrowed it down to 2. I am looking at the Gold Bug Pro and the Makro Gold.  I live in South Eastern California, I am a half hour away from an area that has proven gold.....small gold. I dry wash occasionally so the Chocolates and Cargos are somewhat familiar to me and close.
      I am not looking for answers on which detector to buy. I am looking for opinions/pros and cons on the 2 detectors mentioned, given my current inexperience and the area that I will be prospecting. Thanks in advance.
      Wendell Clark
    • By Caligoldhog
      Strange black wire with paper clip? Guy told me it was junk .... I shook it and heard noise inside.... Found this pleasant surprise flying around in the control housing. Anyone have an idea on this.... I'm thinking they grounded to the coils female wire jack  plate and back to the ground plate on ground reject switch... Little help here fixing up for a good friend yard sale special ? 20 bucks. They hurt her though lol seen better days

• By Indahillz
      Hi, hoping one of the Gold Bug Pro brains trust could give me their opinion please?

I'm new to detecting & was wondering about the ground balance number and the ground phase number in the middle of the screen. In order to ground balance I'm pumping the coil up and down whilst pushing the GG button and most often the ground phase number and ground balance number match closely pretty quickly, however.....once I get started sweeping again the ground phase number (in the screen centre) jumps all over the place. Is this normal? Or should after I've ground balanced, the phase number pretty much remain the same? 

I've read through the manual and I think I'm doing everything correctly, just not sure if an erratic phase number is right? I was in all metal mode, both dials at 12:00 and up on dry sand. 

Thank you