Newest Big Nugget Found..........

johnedoe

The article wasn't exactly full of details but still a very nice nugget.

This reminds me of a previous large 'Californian' nugget that Mr Kagin was involved with.

Authenticated, and sold for us $460,000, it was found to have come from Australia. I wonder where this one came from? 

One can't help but be sceptical. Nuggets of that size were very rare in California in the old days, and the chance of finding one today would be a real long shot.

These people have form, so my guess is that they are up to their old tricks.

That is a May 2017 article about a find made in 2014, the Butte Nugget. It was covered on the forum. I have met the gentleman that found it. It was a legit find, and nuggets of this size were not that rare in California as to be discounted out of hand.

Great nugget, but not a recent find.

From Gold Districts of California, Bulletin 193 California Division of Mines and Geology 1976

D11EFF2D-0EB2-4F4E-8F8B-FAD4024A354B.jpeg

• Like 2

Well, I have to accept your word Steve, but you have to admit that in the past there have been more than one attempt to pass off Australian gold as Californian.

The list of Californian nuggets is paled into insignificance by the number found in Victoria Australia. It runs into many pages. I know as I have a copy.

Nobody disputes Oz has produced more large nuggets than California Reg. Yes, there have been people misrepresent nugget sales. I can’t swear this is not of course as I did not see the nugget found myself. Not everything in the world is a scam however.

Famous Gold Nuggets of the World by Hurley, Thomas Jefferson, 1900

Reg,

Where is that list from Victoria published?

Mitchel

You are right Steve, not everything in life is a scam, but the gold business has more than its share, and as I stated, this mob has form. They threatened me and called me a con man, until it was proven beyond dispute that they were the con men, and then they blamed each other. No one was ever charged over that fraud. You can't blame me for being suspicious.

mn, information as follows.        1912  Victoria  Department of mines
                                                         Memoirs of the Geological Survey of Victoria

(  E. J. Dunn,  F.G.S., Director ):

No. 12.

List of nuggets found in Victoria

Issued By W. Dickson, Secretary for Mines, under the authority of the Hon. 

Peter McBride, M.P., Minister of Mines

Reprinted 1979 with the permission of the Department of Minerals and Energy, Vitoria.

By Hisperian Press P.O. Box 317, Victoria Park Western Australia.

For Garret Metal Detectors of Victoria 40 Albert St. Kilmore, Victoria, 3601. Tel (057) 821166.

This 67 page list describes 1327 nuggets ( pieces over 20 troy ounces ) listing weight, depth, name of nugget, date found, finders, where recorded and by whom, and finally remarks, which includes description of nugget, and situation of finding. This is one of my most prized references, and has proved invaluable over the years. Mind you, a great number of nuggets obtained by the Chinese were never documented.

To the best of my knowledge, nowhere in the world has produced more nuggets than Victoria.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1