Equinox 800 Pre-ordered

BeachHunter

Having sold my beloved Excalibur (I don't know what I was thinking) I was in the market for a new water machine. Then the Equinox was slated to be released.

I previously owned the CTX 3030 but sold it for various reasons. I was concerned about leaking water in the battery compartment basically. So I'm excited to get this new detector and put it in the water immediately.

I will let all know how it performs or really how I perform with it. Good luck to all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum!

I never had water issues with my CTX but it is one reason I sold my last one. At $2500 and with a battery seal and USB seal both to worry about, well, I just worried a little bit every time I put it in the water. I may not have had issues with the CTX, but I had two other models by other brands leak on me (both brand new!) and that is in my head, along with old CTX posts talking about leakage issues.

The elimination of those two leak points is a big deal to me, combined with a lower cost machine that I will not freak out as much over if it does leak. I never travel without two detectors (very much because of those two mentioned machine failures) and so I am considering getting a Equinox 600 purely for in water use. The 800 would normally stay out of the water unless called upon to back the Equinox 600 up were it to fail for any reason. The 600 is as good as the 800 for saltwater use, and at $649 even less to worry about. And I can own both for far less than the cost of the CTX.

Reports from experienced beach guys like yourself will be closely watched I am sure. :smile:

• Like 2

Hey Beach Hunter,

Looks like you and I more than likely hunt some of the same beaches. ...I also have a 800 pre-ordered.

It is interesting to read through the various posts as to why some folks hold on to their detectors and why others decide to let them go.  I also sold my CTX about a year ago for a couple of different reasons.

1) Too heavy, 2) I just do not need (IMO) all the bells and whistles for salt water beach hunting.  For me, beach hunting is simple....discriminate just below iron....if it beeps I dig it !!  I am one that does not need target trace, a GPS, FE/CO settings or the necessity to stare at a detector screen, etc.  Again...this is just me....I am sure many others have a different hunting preference, and that is ok. 

I currently have two Excal's and a Whites Dual Field....but I also am very excited about the Equinox.  Light weight, simple and new technology that will excel in salt water wet sand.  Yes....lot's of questions still....however, I have high expectation for this detector.

• Like 1

Hey jjm,

Same here with the CTX. I found swinging slow was a bit more time consuming for me in the sand. Also, I was apprehensive about dunking it in the water with possible sealing issues? The surf can be a bit rough here in SoCal.

With the Equinox,  since I don't dive, the light weight and low cost make it the perfect replacement for the my Excalibur.

This time though, it's going to get underwater.

I just sold my CTX as well in anticipation of the Equinox. All I used it for was water hunting though.  I had no worry of it ever flooding or leaking. Since water season is finished, I parted ways with it since I had no other real use for the CTX.  The one thing that concerns me about the Equinox is actually the light weight.  The bulky weight of the CTX was a joy in the water.  Light weight and water hunting usually don't go hand in hand...particularly in moving water like ocean surf or river current.  I hunt the freshwater swimming areas a lot in the summer and the CTX just glides through lake water. My only comparison might be the AT Pro in which was considerably lighter than the CTX but was a pain to use in the water with the unit fully submerged.  I can't help but wonder if the Equinox will also be that way.  I went with a light weight carbon fiber scoop handle for my beach scoop...and it weighs approx what the Equinox will weigh, and it gets knocked around everywhere in the ocean surf...even when it's not rough.  Hoping for the best though.  The freshwater beaches don't have the corrosive salt that eats away bobby pins, fish hooks, etc so there is a lot of iron masking in swimming holes. It will be nice having a fast recovery speed machine for the water.

• Like 1

I know what you mean about weight in the water. For me I’m so shallow (lol) in the water that I don’t think it’ll be a problem.

Best of luck Daniel, on your purchase, should you decide to go with the Equinox.

All I know is it is way easier to make a machine heavier than lighter! I expect the aftermarket guys will go nuts on Equinox just like they have with the Excalibur coming up with custom rods, etc. if there is anything they think needs improving in that regard. Not worried about it myself though - I need to get this thing to Hawaii!!

I was thinking that as well Steve. I have read where they weighted the coil for more control.

Hawaii sure would be fun.