A Unique Accidental Coin Find

That coin is rare Steve.  It should be worth more now!

Mitchel

If that shot had been taken around the date of the coin whoever lost a lot of money.

That coin could have kept you from going hungry back then.It could have gotten you some flour and salt pork to keep your ribs from rubbing your backbone.

It was lots of men didn’t earn that much in a day. No, I may be older than dirt but not that old.haha

• Like 2

That's an awesome find!

Better then finding a common date undamaged Barber in my opinion..
This coin you can imagine some history behind it. 
Nice showpiece..

Bryan
  • Thanks 1

Uh, Steve, surely you didn't throw out that 1943 copper penny shown in the photo, just to the left of your mangled quarter....:unsure:

• Haha 1

I considered that it might have been drilled out as part of a field repair needing a washer, but that makes no sense at Ganes Creek where steels washers exist by the ton. And it looks to me like one side shows clear signs of being a bullet exit point with peeled back edges. Maybe somebody tried to punch a hole in it. That again goes back to taking an extremely rare and hard to find piece of spendable currency (at that time in Alaska) and converting it to a cheap washer. Makes no sense given the location.

I am going with drunken bets and the showing off of sharpshooter skills - true or not!

• Like 1

Shot with a rifle at a 100 yards! I can see it now. Everybody lined up to take a shot at a lot of money. Very cool find with awesome history. Thanks for showing us Steve!