How Accurate Is The Depth Meter?

Cabin Fever

1 hour ago, Dan(NM) said:

I live in the desert Southwest (NM), we get on average 10" of rain per year. The ground is bone dry 90% of the year, although the city does water during the summer.  I've found  Barbers and V's practically on the surface, clad at 7-8", this has occurred in different area's in the same town.

At the local zoo, started in 1898, most of the coins in the 8-10" range are from the 30's - 50's, no doubt fill has been brought in. This summer,  in one spot, where the grass had died and the the ground was bare, I found a 1906 V nickle on top on the ground :) Not far from there I dug a 1942 Walker at 10" ?????

So, I've learned to dig all targets and that means digging a boat load of clad and trash, because depth has nothing to do with the age of the coins here.

I probably should have kept my depth discrimination techniques to myself.   I knew it would open a can of worms.   I am fully aware of all these scenarios.. I too have found old coins at the surface level.  I use my common sense wile hunting and do dig some shallow targets.  The parks I use these methods at I have spent many, many hours hunting over a couple years time.  I know them very well and know what areas within the park to dig the shallow coins.   I am bit fortunate to have a friend that hunts with me that loves clad.. he digs everything and we keep close tabs on the depth of the coins we find.  I would  be alerted to any surprise shallow old coins in an area I wasn't expecting...  The very few old coins I might miss because of my technique don't make up for the swing time I waste digging clad.  When I was in a club last year I found more silver then any other club member by a long shot with my friend the closest competitor at just over half of what I found.  He hunted many more hours then me too.  I'm not trying to brag, just pointing out that my goal is old coins and I found a way that works for me to find the most I can in the time I have.  He finds an enormous amount of clad and he also finds more jewelry then me.  For some reason jewelry just doesn't get me excited.. I'm not in it for the money .. I like the old stuff..

My style is definitely not for everyone, especially if your not confident in your detector or you are after modern treasure..  

Bryan

• Like 1

The

54 minutes ago, Redneck said:

Sweet on the modulated audio!  That makes sense that the depth meter isn't watched closely .  

The more I read, the more I'm liking this thing!!

15 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

I probably should have kept my depth discrimination techniques to myself.   I knew it would open a can of worms.   I am fully aware of all these scenarios.

I don't think people bringing stuff up is saying you don't know about it - just people discussing and helping each other. Definitely not seeing any worms except digging holes in turf. Keeping stuff to oneself makes for a dull party so thanks for sharing!! :smile:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

I probably should have kept my depth discrimination techniques to myself. (cut out some stuff...) 

For some reason jewelry just doesn't get me excited.. I'm not in it for the money .. I like the old stuff..

My style is definitely not for everyone, especially if your not confident in your detector or you are after modern treasure..  

Bryan, I hope my comments haven't caused you second thoughts.  They certainly weren't meant negatively.  I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.  And especially I realize with my limited experience there's a lot I don't know, and some things I think I know really aren't true (those are by far the worst!).  I'm a sponge for information; unfortunately I've been that way since I was very young but my memory just hasn't kept up.  :sad:

You and I are very much motivated by the same thing -- old coins.  For me that comes from being a coin collector since I was 6 years old, back when you could get a roll of pennies at the bank and be almost guaranteed of finding one or two with some (usually modest) value over face.  (Oh, and I envy you for the fantastic finds you've posted here.  I want to get to where I'm finding stuff like you are!)

I still dig Zincolns, which I despise, but I figure I'm clearing out the trash, just like when I dig can slaw and foil.  I'm improving the environment while waiting for the good stuff to pop out.

As far as confidence in the equipment, that's something I'm constantly working on.  Even a 'simple' detector (simple to set up) like the Gold Bug Pro can give a lot of subtle hints when in action, and I need to continue to perfect my ears/eyes/brain reaction to them.  But it's always fun for me, whether I make a haul or get skunked.  No two of us are alike.  As long as we're having fun then we're accomplishing the important thing.

• Like 2

Sometimes I get a little thin skinned and defensive on forums for some reason and my response above was not one of my better moments...  I apologize for that.  We all detect in our own way.  None really better then the other as long as we are enjoying what we do.  

Bryan

• Like 4

Nice to know the audio feedback provides so much information.  I tend to use my ears first then double check with the display.  I agree that targets get covered by seasonal debris and that the process of the decomposition of surface material along with insect and rodent activity causes targets to "sink" and be "covered" at the same time.

• Like 2