Early Minelab Gpz 7000 Issues?

Rail Dawg

Seeing some barely-used gpz 7000's coming across the auction block.  

Weren't there early ones that had issues?

If so how were these issues resolved?

How can you tell if the unit on the auction block is not one of these?

Having not owned one yet I'm a little behind and appreciate any feedback.   

Rail Dawg, I was on the preorder list and had one of the first US shipped GPZ's when they were first released. I'm not aware of any problems affecting a large number of units, I did have a screen issue where two thin dark streaks appeared across a part of the display screen although the unit had also been dropped hard enough to crack the case and bounced around in the back of my car on a few rough roads. MineLab gave me a new 7000 on warranty with no questions about the abuse, I think a few units had the screen issue and may have shown up in the ctx as well, but I don't think it was something widespread and the problem is obvious when the detector is powered up. GB was tough in some small percentage of conditions with the first software version but the software updates have made great improvements. That's my experience, it's a great detector only wish I was as good as my mineLab...

• Like 2

As 1515Art points out there were very few issues with the first run aside from screens and Ground Balance.  Only complaints I've heard over the years were about later run GPZ's not being as effective as the first run when the owners sent them in and received a replacement GPZ in stead of a repaired one.  I personally question it as I gave a bit of assistance to one such holder, he'd gone thru a few of them, and later on ran into him to find out my advice "fixed" his issue with the later issue Zed he owned.  Like 1515Art I have an original brown box unit, the first demo unit for a certain company ;), and have had no issues with it at all.

Most of the newer ones coming over the auction block are due to people being dissatisfied with the unit for various reasons.  Weight being one of them and the need to use a harness.  My opinion.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have one of the first "brown box" units also. I had some flaky possible EMI related issues this summer that I never could get to repeat since so I am not sure what was up with that. Other than that the unit has run flawlessly for over a thousand hours of detecting. There were isolated issues early on with some screens and other stuff as noted before, but none of it appears to be more than various individual machines, not any particular run of product.

The BIG issue with any used Minelab is counterfeits. The GPX, SDC, and GPX can be verified online here.

I have read of the GPX 4800/5000 counterfeits. Are there any known cases of the GPZ 7000 being fake? Thanks as I am currently in the market for a 7000

9 hours ago, Ryan said:

I have read of the GPX 4800/5000 counterfeits. Are there any known cases of the GPZ 7000 being fake? Thanks as I am currently in the market for a 7000

There absolutely is Ryan.  Be careful. 

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10890

http://arizonaoutback.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=11931

This is off the Minelab website re: checking gear before purchasing, how to spot counterfeits, etc.

https://www.minelab.com/customer-care/stop-counterfeits

• Like 1