Why Is The Equinox Sent Out For Testing Now?

Ridge Runner

The part I don’t understand is why Minelab is sending a Equinox this late in the day for testing.

All of us here are thinking Minelab would be announcing the date the dealers would be receiving them.

I wonder what Steve may find now in his opinion come later as a update, If Minelab is waiting on Steve to come up what he has found and want to correct it. Then if true then Minelab hasn’t started production yet.

I’m still thinking the major testing on the Equinox should of been completed the first day it fell out of the sky. If it wasn’t how could they show and say how great the Equinox was then if they knew it needed to be debugged.

Maybe someone smarter than I can explain it to me.

Chuck

Chuck,

Don't know what you are referring to about Minelab "sending an Equinox this late in the day for testing..."

Steve

Now if Minelab sent the Equinox to Steve and said we want you to go through each option then each mode. After you complete the testing we want your honest opinion of what you think of the Equinox.

This I can see and I don’t think they could find a more knowledgeable person than Steve.

Chuck

It's winter where I am so I'm  not antsy to get one in my hands.  So they can keep on tweaking and make it the best it can be whether in mild ground, Culpeper soil, black sand beaches or alkali ground.  

What would be cool is if they discover that tweaking for peak performance in one ground type has a negative effect in other soils, then have a download to suit your local conditions.  If you travel to another area simply download the appropriate program.

• Thanks 1

I believe Steve is just the most vocal of the testers and that these units have been out and about for a fair while prior to the first announcement.  :) I did not need to read the coming out statement to know he already has one in his hot hands and I have little doubt there are a few more in the USA as well.  Its already been noted that some Europeans have been testing as well.  No doubt there are a few Aussies as well.  So the testing is right on track in my opinion.

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Your use of the word NOW.

Sounds like the Equinox has been in testing phase for a while.

Don't  know exactly when the host here received unit.

But all possessors of Equinox I'm sure are providing feedback to Minelab as necessary.

Be patient.

Lots of moving pieces here, including logistics.

Remember too that the hardware can start production while tweaks can still be made to the software. 

I'm not a pre-order kind of guy, but I do intend to buy one after the first wave proves to be all Steve and others have said it is. Not that I don't believe them, but I try to never underestimate the ability of the general public to screw something up in a way never before imagined.

Take the time to get it Right, Minelab. I'll still be here when you're done.

OH, Ok.  Now I get it, Ridge Runner.  You are thinking that since Steve just announced he's been testing the Equinox, you assume that means he just got it.  OK.  I get what you were saying now.

Reason I didn't know what you meant is, I -- just like DDancer said -- assumed that while Steve just "announced" his testing, that it had been ongoing for a LONG time.  I didn't interpret his "coming out" to mean "hey I just got a prototype Equinox today," in interpreted it as the opposite -- "I've had this thing for a long time, testing it, and we are near the end now so I feel like it's OK with Minelab if a now say a few words here, near the end of the process."  

Don't mean to speak for Steve, but I am almost sure he didn't get the Equinox in his hands at the same time he made his post.

Interesting note though...if I recall, the prototypes at Detectival were said NOT to have the 20 kHz ad 40 kHz single freq. options included on those particular units at that time; since those are clearly the "prospecting" frequencies, I wonder if Steve had been giving them lots of feedback on the "prospecting" skill of the machine, and this was something they were working to finish up at that time?  :)

Anyway, it makes total sense to me, given Steve's knowledge, reputation, AND his prospecting skill, that Minelab would have wanted his input on this unit...and I for one am glad they did.  It will be a better unit, for it...

Steve