Sign in to follow this  
osbod007

Lobo ST With NEL Snake Coil, No Bueno

I really enjoy using the LST, most of the time it is wearing the 5 X10 elliptical coil.  I've always wanted a small shooter coil so I picked up a NEL Snake coil, same size as the White's Goldmaster shooter coil.  Installed the Snake and 'whoa' the LST will not ground balance in All Metal mode.  Pumping the coil repeatedly ... down stroke nothing ... upstroke the coil sounds off loud.  I tried changing the ground conditions mode and found no significant change.  I put the LST in discriminate mode and the machine seems to work pretty normal, much the same as my Tesoro 5.75 concentric. Placed back in the AM mode, unable to ground balance, I tried sweeping a 5 grain pellet at 2'" then 1" and got no response. Needless to say, pinpoint didn't work either.  The coil looks pristine, the previous owner had about an hour run time on it on his Vaquero. He says it performed flawlessly on the Vaquero.  I emailed NEL just to see what kind of response I would get.  Response... none.   Perhaps I'll not get the NEL coil for my Sovereign I've been eyeing.  At this point I'm very disappointed.

I am sorry to hear the coil is not working for you. Unfortunately you really don’t know if the coil worked for the previous owner or not, other than their word for it. Second hand coils are not covered under the NEL warranty. This is where buying product not made in the U.S. gets difficult as just postage to Ukraine and back is probably more that the coil is worth. From http://nel-coils.com/index.php/en/warranty

1. How long is the warranty for my NEL product?

At NEL we provide a full 2 year (+1 year extended warranty upon registration) warranty on all of our manufactured coils. This warranty starts from the date of purchase by the customer. This is applicable worldwide. This warranty covers any manufacturing errors like cracks in plastics or performance issues like no response which are from manufacturing faults – usually these are noticeable within the first few hours of use. The warranty does not cover normal use or misuse of the product.

For a coil to continue to perform well it must be treated with care and not be used in a way that will jar or incur any sudden impact. This sudden impact may result in developing a noisy product. NEL, at its sole discretion, will determine the nature of the returned item and decide whether it is a warranty issue. Each individual case will be reviewed on its own merits and the more information you can provide the easier it will be for us to make a quick decision.

2. Is the warranty transferable?

No, the warranty is only applicable for the original owner. For out of warranty coils there is a service fee for more information please contact your nearest dealer.

3. What do I do to claim warranty?

When wanting to claim warranty within Ukraine, you can either return it to your place of purchase or send it direct to NEL, Str. Klochkovskaya 192а, ap.327 Kharkov, Ukraine, 61145. It is essential you include your proof of purchase docket and a short note informing us of the problem which has occurred. Also include your return address and phone number as we may need to contact you regarding the product.

If you have purchased a product outside of Ukraine you must return it with your proof of purchase to your local dealer who will handle the warranty claims. Ensure you include your return address and phone number whenever returning a product.

Very good point Steve,  you're response is one of the main reasons I did this post.  Any issue with a detector or coil from Tesoro, even 2nd hand and for $50 they will make it right. I'm sure this is one of the main reasons so many call aftermarket coils a crap shoot.  I wish the Tesoro factory still produced this coil size.  Long Live Tesoro.

The other reason for this post was to find out if others with the LST Snake coil also had problems with the LST's  microprocessor not being able to ground balance and auto-track. This may be an inherent problem with this size coil on the Lobo.  Quite possibly the CORS Shrew would be the same.

According to Rusty, in the 4 pin Delta coils, the small elliptical coil and the 3 X18 Cleansweep were taken out of production because of the high volume of returns.  Circuit incompatibility  would definitely cause a manufacturer to cease production of an item if they offered a lifetime warranty on said item.  Perhaps aftermarket producers have run into the same problems.

Edited by osbod007
Topic addition

That is very good information that I will find away in the old memory bank for the future. First time I ever heard a reasonable explanation for why tesoro stopped making those coils. Thanks, and I hope that coil starts magically working!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By rodney edwards
      I have a gold bug 2 for some  reason it will only work with the head phones now .???
    • By mlgdave
      I updated to the latest firmware in september, sunday when I was detecting I would lose my sound through the wireless, I plugged in headphones and no sound from the machine through them either EXCEPT for turning it on, and also when the WM wireless connects I hear that (but probably from the unit not the headphones)
      Anyone else have issues, I do see 2 other threads but have tried both fixes including updating again. No dice, need the GPZ!
      mlgdave
    • By Ridge Runner
      I know over the years I’ve had to send a detector back for repair. One was back to White’s and the other to Minelab. I’ve had others in the past but both was in the last year.
      On a lot of electronics the warranty is for a year. That is not the case on that detector you have. I’d say most of the time the detector company will pay to ship it both ways.
      I don’t care if you paid 200 or 7000 that warranty has great value to you.
      I’d like to hear your story how that warranty saved your bacon.
      Chuck
    • By fishersari
      hello fellow detectorist out there,    Hi from a land far far away, my maxy have problem which when i turn it off , i cant turn it back on. The only way to get it to turn on is to pull out the battery altogether. Even when its on, it will turn off randomly. The way its shut down is like something pressed the on/off button ( what im trying to say is its turn off randomly with beeps like proper shutdown. Sorry cant describe it properly since english is not native. )  I have already done the factory reset and change new batteries, but the problem are still there.    Is there any way i can rectify this problem on my own, if possible. Sending back to Whites will cost me money ( which i can add a little bit more money  and buy new coil 😥)  and time. Thank you for your time and suggestion. Below is the findings for an hour of detecting before the problem arise 😣😣 
    • By Atlas
      Hi all,
      New to the Forum and have a problem I hope someone can help me with.
      Well I think the ATX (used) I recently got is down for the count

After the initial park test where the machine worked as advertised I took it to the lake for a water hunt. It was running real quiet and smooth at the first two beaches. Scored a silver ring and St Christopher medal on a chain Good frequency scan and GB. At the third beach I got a low batt indicator and did a battery change back at the truck.

Upon returning to the water the machine was acting real erratic with lots of false signals and LED indicators flashing up to the 7/8 range and even locking at this level. I thought well maybe its EMI or drift so I checked with my buddy who is running an infinium and he said his machine was purring like a kitten. So I did another factory reset and decide to run in ground tracking. I was still getting signals but hard to hear the faint ones with all the falsing.

I checked the battery compartment when I got home and no leaks.   Batteries were in proper polarization and no reversed cells.  So I decided to take it to the park today where I originally tested it with a fresh set of batteries. Did Freq Scan and GB. The GB seemed a little off from when I first got the machine. That is when I press the button and get the two tones I'm not hearing much ground signal. I noticed this at the lake also. Anyway tried to run and with the coil stationary I'm getting a pulsing signal from 1-4 LED range and spiking up to 7/8 range. The signal then locked at 8 and wouldn't go away without a reset but then continued the pulsing. So I decided to do a factory reset and that's when it got interesting. Usually on a factory reset I get two tones followed by the 4 battery check tones. The machine went straight to 4 tones with no LED display. So the machine is on and making spurious noises but no LED's are on. Did this a few times with the same results.

So I put the machine away and got my GP3000 out as a control test. The 3000 noise canceled and GB'd in this park fine and I dug a few signals till the rain started. Anyway this kind of rules out that there was some type of crazy EMI that can't be eliminated.

Next I called the local dealer who sold the machine to the guy I bought it from and he thought it might be the coil. back at the house I slid the shaft out a bit and had a look at the coil wire connector. Put in a new set of batts and checked the coil connector for leaks saw none but where the wire goes into the black connector there is some type of rubbery gasket material that is squeezed out a bit. Any way I fired up the machine and it went through a normal cycle with LED's and did the frequency scan but still getting that spiking signal. I can turn sens down and bring that signal down but then cant hear test targets through the signal at the low sens level.

Dealer told me to call Garrett on Monday and that is the plan. I think there is still 6 months on the Warranty but well see.
      Anyone have similar problems? I have this message posted on the ATX forum and a member there suggested testing my machine with a known good coil.  Anyone in the Reno area with an ATX and a good coil that I could use as a  test on my machine? I know that's a lot to ask but and maybe not even a good idea.   Maybe Steve will know?
    • By Reno Chris
      So a couple weeks ago I was out detecting with my GPX 5000 and all was going well. Steve Herschbach and I were hunting a spot where there are several patches in a comparatively small area a few hundred yards up to a quarter mile apart. At the last place of the day, I took out my GPX and turned it on, and it sounded weird (the 5000 goes through a specific set of tones on boot up and I know what is normal). I looked at the display screen and it was off - it looked the same as when the detector is off. It was making some faint sounds and I waived some metal objects past the coil and it did make a weak sound as the metal went by - but it was obviously malfunctioning and with the screen off, I could not adjust the sound upward even if I wanted. I tried a second power cord and that made no difference. I tried another coil - also no change. So I sent the unit into minelab for repair. They rebooted the unit to all the factory presets and it worked fine. Apparently this happens sometimes that the computer gets itself set to some weird setting and it wont run right  unless reset to the presets. Turning on and off is effectively a partial re-boot, while retoring factory pre-sets is a full and total reboot. Sometimes that is what it takes.
      So, the moral of this story is.........

if you find that your Minelab GPX 4000 to 5000 model seems broken, try a different power cord, try another coil (both these I already knew), but also try rebooting to all the factory preset settings.
      Here is the procedure from the GPX 5000 manual:
      To restore all Factory Preset settings: 1.Turn the detector off. 2. .Press the On/Off switch down and hold until the Reset Defaults menu appears (approximately. 5–6 seconds). 3. Turn Function Select to the right to select All Settings (as shown on the diagram). 4. Turn Setting left or right to restore all Factory Presets.The detector will restore Factory Presets and re-start.   Just thought this falls into the category of stuff worth knowing if you own a GPX detector.