Mercury Dime Teaser

41 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That is proprietary information that Minelab does not share in detail and I will be surprised if they do. It is in effect the highly secretive and protected "secret sauce". To this day Minelab has cloaked just what it is exactly that BBS and FBS machines are doing. People argue about number of frequencies when that is a red herring. What is Minelab doing internally by way of algorithms to compare and process the multiple frequency information - that is where the real magic is. It is telling that although the BBS patent expired long ago that nobody else has produced a BBS knockoff. The frequency info is easy to determine with a scope, but that tells you nothing about the internal processing.

All information about how Multi-IQ works comes direct from Minelab and nowhere else. What you read, I read, and with just as much interest. Minelab will be doing more Multi-IQ information releases that will no doubt shed more light on the matter, but certain details will remain secret no matter what.

Naturally, we would all like to know as much of the secret sauce behind Minelab's new technology.   At least the question about relative signal strength of the different frequencies ought to be easy to answer with a scope and spectrum analyzer.  Of course, the digital processing that goes on will likely remain a mystery.  

It would still be nice if Minelab explained a little as to *why* Park mode is better for parks and in what way, Field for fields, etc., so the operator can understand better what the mode settings are influencing rather than just a "trust us."  There may be some conditions where the operator may want to select Field even though he isn't in an actual plowed field environment.  The more an advanced operator knows how his detector works, the more he can get out of it, and I hope Minelab pulls the curtain back at least a little on the inner workings enough for advanced users to get the most out of the detector.

Thanks for info on the ferrous wrap, too.  So there is enough room between ferrous wrap signals and actual silver coin ID's.  Great to hear!  With the non-ferrous tone options on the 800, especially since they can be adjusted in 50 tone audio mode, we ought to be able to do some decent tweaking to remove the ferrous wrap signals yet retain the true high coin signals.  Of course too much and you lose coins.  Everything is a compromise, but hopefully Minelab left these settings in the hands of the users to decide, at least on the more advanced 800.    

• Like 1

Steve, you really ought to put out a manual on the Equinox after it comes out. Even if it was just a compilation of your posts here, it would be a best seller. I feel like I already know almost as much about the workings of a detector that I haven't even seen yet as I do about the ones I have used for years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Champ Ferguson said:

Steve, you really ought to put out a manual on the Equinox after it comes out. Even if it was just a compilation of your posts here, it would be a best seller. I feel like I already know almost as much about the workings of a detector that I haven't even seen yet as I do about the ones I have used for years.

Agreed!

Steve can you tell us a bit about the ground tracking?  Can it be left on in high iron sites as with the X-Terra 705 and sweep width dependent will it not track out non-ferrous at depth?

Thanks

Tom

I am wondering is there a different ground balance methods for the multi compared to the single frequency modes? Traditionally multi frequencies use ground compensation, whereas singles use ground balance or ground cancel, so what makes Equinox tick?

7 hours ago, Jackpine said:

Steve can you tell us a bit about the ground tracking?  Can it be left on in high iron sites as with the X-Terra 705 and sweep width dependent will it not track out non-ferrous at depth?

Thanks

Tom

I normally do the pump and lock thing. Equinox 800 can do ground grab, auto ground tracking, or you can manually set the GB number. I run in fixed as a matter of habit so I need to play with tracking more. Thanks for the reminder. Minelab’s tracking technology has been getting pretty advanced. The SDC 2300 can only run in tracking, and my GPZ never comes out of tracking. Yet I still have this tendency to avoid tracking with coin type detectors. I guess I still don’t trusting tracking systems in dense trash.