Mercury Dime Teaser

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I also have a real problem discussing depth on coins in my area, as do a lot of people in the Western U.S. but also anywhere mineralization is very high. Despite all the talk of 10" plus dimes back east or wherever, I never see that kind of depths normally. The soil here is basically decomposed granitic rock and it is heavily laden with magnetite. Just drop a magnet and pick it up, and a big glob of magnetic soil comes up with it. A Gold Bug Pro/Tek G2 will get 6 out of seven bars on the Fe304 meter here.

People who have not experienced this type of soil may find it hard to imagine, but getting a dime past 6" here is very hard without using a PI. The dime signal tends to have the target id shift down until at about 6" it turns into a ferrous reading. You can detect it, but it sounds like a nail, and if you have ferrous rejected, you never hear it at all. The problem is not so much depth but accurate target id at depth, and this magnetite really interferes with detectors.

There is a lot of extremely important information in these two paragraphs.

Even though I don't live remotely close to the area mention above I can inform all that this kind or very similar ground can and does, all but shutdown all VLF machines.  I have many old school sites that will easily fall in the above category.  I can take any VLF machine to these sites and you would think the entire area was nothing but a carpet of nails.   The Fe04 meter on my F75 is also 6 of 7 bars.  The material also attracts to a magnet with ease.   These sites will be the first visited with the Equinox

F

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Gillespie said:

There is a lot of extremely important information in these two paragraphs.

Even though I don't live remotely close to the area mention above I can inform all that this kind or very similar ground can and does, all but shutdown all VLF machines.  I have many old school sites that will easily fall in the above category.  I can take any VLF machine to these sites and you would think the entire area was nothing but a carpet of nails.   The Fe04 meter on my F75 is also 6 of 7 bars.  The material also attracts to a magnet with ease.   These sites will be the first visited with the Equinox

F

You may want to try that area twice, once when you get the machine and once after you have had the machine for a while. It may take some time to get the best settings for that type of situation. I'm guessing it would have to get some coins out of there with the fast recovery, and at depth target id. Let us know how it goes. 

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:31 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Mineralized ground is not the same thing as coal waste so I will be surprised if Equinox does not struggle in that stuff just like all the others.

I agree, the coal waste in my area are from salt size up to BB size.  Each will easily attract to an average magnet.  Even my PI will struggle until I increase the delay slightly.  I'm still amazed at what I've found behind some of the best VLF machines in the world.  But what I'm looking for from the Equinox is a more stable target ID deeper than 6" in the red, iron bearing clay of Virginia. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mark Gillespie said:

I agree, the coal waste in my area are from salt size up to BB size.  Each will easily attract to an average magnet.  Even my PI will struggle until I increase the delay slightly.  I'm still amazed at what I've found behind some of the best VLF machines in the world.  But what I'm looking for from the Equinox is a more stable target ID deeper than 6" in the red, iron bearing clay of Virginia. 

Same here.