Equinox Packability & Waterproof Headphones

Pops

Just found this site and signed up and am enjoying the information on the new machine. I been wanting a fully submersible machine for awhile and was looking at the CTX, not sure though if I really need the extra bells and whistles at the over double cost. I'm not afraid to spend the dollars so much but like most things, what meets your needs/style  always makes me ponder my choices. I will probably wait for reviews once this gets into pre-order hands since I am fairly patient with my buying as to not have regrets and I'm sure at this point the pre-order lists ar probably miles long!

I have a couple of questions that maybe someone can shed some light on. 1. How easy will the new machines be to break done for traveling? 2. Will Minelab have a submersible set of headphones available as well for these units?

Thanks for all the great info!

Pops

Welcome to the forum!

The 5.3 lb. CTX has a two piece rod assemble, and the lower rod just barely fits diagonally in my full size Samsonite suitcase. Packing a CTX for travel is difficult but possible. The 2.9 lb. Equinox on the other hand has a three piece rod, and just fits in my industry standard carry on bag.

Underwater headphones will be available for Equinox at launch, with aftermarket phones sure to follow.

minelab-equinox-waterproof-headphones-3011-0372.jpg

Waterproof headphones with EQUINOX connector. Can also be connected directly to a WM 08 Wireless Audio Module. Part No. 3011-0372

More Equinox Accessories Listed Here

I'm looking at the underwater headphones and am wondering how long the cord will last before the wires break down inside the cord at the connecter.  That cord will be doing a 180 degree bend.   I hope they come out with a 90 degree jack with a male on one end that goes into the  detector housing, and a female end where the headphone connector goes into.  That would  extend the longevity of the headphone cord, as it will only be doing a 90 degree curve around the housing .

The Garrett AT series, MX Sport, and others plus now Equinox have headphone outlets on the back of the pod. In White’s case I complained a lot because the MX Sport has an underarm battery compartment where the headphone outlet could have been mounted instead - a better design.

It is more difficult for the AT, Equinox, and other “detectors in a pod”. The rear mount does mean the headphone cable must double back 180 degrees to the operator. This does put strain on the connector and can result in premature cable failure.

For above water use I am sure Equinox owners are going to use wireless headphones, eliminating the issue for most users.

However, if you want to submerge the pod more than a few inches, you have to use the dongle adapter for wired headphones while wading or the full waterproof headphones. This will create a bend and a strain point. I like the 90 degree idea but even that does not eliminate the issue entirely, and I am not sure such a 90 degree fitting even exists for the Equinox waterproof port. It does not look like that is being supplied anyway per the photo above - it is a straight connector.

In my personal use I may very well tie-wrap the headphone cord to the upper handle, relieving the connector of any applied strain. That would be a possible solution. Knowing me I also might not, but if that is the case then I will also have spare headphones!

• 2 weeks later...

I think a waterproof extension going from the connector at the back of the pod to perhaps under the arm cuff would work. Zip tie it in place. Would just require a male and female connector with some wire in between and a few zip ties. 

Just a thought. 

Rich -

For work under water is a useful indication of the target vibration

The vibration signal can be connected as in metal detectors CEIA cmd the additional device

Or mounted inside the unit as in the mobile phone When using vibration under water, you can work without headphones

p14.jpg