Steve, Hows It Coming With The V3i?

gambler

:D just wondering if you are close to posting up a review. (I have read what you wrote so far)

Hi gambler,

Not particularly. I have used a White's DFX for many years, and have used several White's V3i models. If you read my previous posts on the subject you know I was having EMI issues in Anchorage. The latest machine I acquired either has better resistance to EMI or Reno has less of it to deal with than Anchorage. I suspect the latter.

I already know it is a superb jewelry detector and that is why I got it. I already snagged a heavy mens platinum ring with it. I got a smoking buy on eBay for the V3i practically new with remaining warranty and this ring sold used would about cover what I paid for the detector. Not bad for hardly any hours since I got it!

I know a guy that did very well at Ganes Creek, Alaska with the V3i and it does have a very powerful 22 kHz prospecting mode. http://www.whiteselectronics.com/finds/?view=gainesgold  I would like to give it a go in that regard, possibly with a larger coil on tailings piles. Right now I have the 10" round DD that comes on it stock, the 5" x 10" elliptical DD, and the little 4" x 6" Shooter DD, and of course the main reason I have the V3i, a Big Foot coil.. I may round up a larger coil than those to try but I need to do a bit of testing with it versus the Nokta to see if it is worth spending the money.

Frankly, it is kind of a DEUS situation in that I really would not recommend the V3i to somebody just for prospecting, but since I do have one I own primarily for other purposes it is something I can play with when I have time. Main problem is I never got the time in the last couple months and now I am in mid-winter catch up mode and not going to get out much the next couple months.

That all said, is there something specific you were curious about?

herschbach-platinum-ring-found-whites-v3i-detector.jpg

Platinum Ring Found with White's V3i

• Like 1

Hi Steve, well I'm in the market so to speak. I'm trying to decide between the v3i, the mxt pro or the tdi pro. Budget wont allow more than one detector at the  moment.I prospect a lot, but when I can't, I go coin hunting. So multi use is important. (as is American made)(I know that sounds naïve, but that's how I is ;) ).

Let me add, without your website, I'd be lost, I appreciate all of your testing and work writing the reviews. I know you have said you don't want to sway anyones choice, but the cat is out of the bag, so to speak. Thanks.

On 12/7/2014 at 8:04 PM, gambler said:

Let me add, without your website, I'd be lost, I appreciate all of your testing and work writing the reviews. I know you have said you don't want to sway anyones choice, but the cat is out of the bag, so to speak. Thanks.

Thank you! I very much would like to help people with their choices without pushing anything. In other words, I have nothing to sell you. I would very much like to see you get a detector you like. There are lots of good detectors so it is kind of like buying a car. They all get you there, but we all have preferences as to how we would like to travel. So my goal is to just try and lay out options. You have to make the choice.

I love yakking about metal detectors, and I make a few bucks off Google Ads. Pays for the expenses of hosting this site and maybe buys a detector. Win, win for everyone!

Multi use basically eliminates the TDI. Yes, you can do anything with any detector, including the TDI, but you have to be pretty hard core to go that route. In my opinion it is almost impossible to go wrong with an MXT Pro. Instructions are on the bottom of the box! The detector has always been underpriced for the capability it offers - or is everything else overpriced?

The only thing the V3i clearly outperforms the MXT on is salt water beach performance. The main thing is style. The MXT delivers power in perhaps the easiest to operate package on the market. The V3i on the other hand is a detector nerds dream with more direct access to the machines operating parameters than any other detector I know of. Yet it can lead you down the rabbit hole in tuning complexity, and a major complaint from many people is they never feel confident they have their V3i tuned properly for max performance. So many settings interact it gets pretty complex. Having said that, it has an incredible set of factory preset programs like nothing else on any detector. The Mixed Mode is a tour de force of metal detector programming. Very unique stuff.

If you want to learn a lot, and I mean a lot, about metal detectors, getting a V3i and learning all about how it operates is basically a college level class in how metal detectors really work. Many of the settings you get access to are preset and invisible on most detectors.

If you just want to get the detector to go detecting, the MXT is the way to go. If you want to go much deeper into how things work and love tweaking stuff, then the V3i may be for you.

My best advice? Download the owners manual for both and give them a good look.

White's MXT Pro Owner's Manual

White's V3i Owner's Manual

In addition, there is the V3i Advanced Users Guide

And to further boggle the mind, the White's V3i Advanced Posts "Book", a collection of posts from expert users, 65 pages Word format

• Like 1

Thanks for your typical detailed answer. One other thing, my last detector died from water and dirt intrusion, in your reviews can you note the degree of water and dirt resistance of the detectors you test. If you can't, I understand.

I think I'll get the MXT pro and use the heck out of it. I did get 22 coins that day before my last one  died, but it was time for a new one anyway.(outgrew it)

Actually, I consider virtually all detectors to be rain and dirt resistant with only moderate care. The only step up is fully waterproof, and to how many feet. The MXT for instance. Control box is gasket sealed. O-rings under the knobs to protect them. Plastic cone speaker sealed to inner housing. Water poured in those speaker holes will not hurt speaker and can't get into inner case. Water in pod does nothing more than fog inner side of display. That said, I recommend protecting all control boxes from direct contact with water and dirt. I use control box covers rather religiously which pays off big time when I go to sell the units used.

I was doing some sort of speaking engagement once where I had my Gold Bug 2 along. A guy looked at it, and made a comment to the effect that I really do not find the stuff I find. If I did my detector would be more wore out. I have even had negative comments on photos because my hands are clean! News flash - I wear gloves. Anyway, detectors are an investment and I protect my investments.

Rule of thumb. If you need to put on your rain coat, so does you detector! If not, you and your detector are probably ok.

well, I'll include covers for my mxt too. thanks again steve.