Bucket Lister!! Less Than 100 Known!! $5 Gold Half Eagle Dug!!

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That's a find of a lifetime; a true rarity with an estimate of 80 in existance.

Presumably you'll get it graded by one of the official grading services, but to me this looks like XF-40 or XF-45.  These don't come up for auction much in any condition.  I think I'm going super-conservative valuing it at over $3k.  (Hope this grades and values out higher than I've done -- I'm no expert.)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dsrtdwg1 said:

Congrats on the fantastic find, beautiful coin.

Thank you!!

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That's a find of a lifetime; a true rarity with an estimate of 80 in existance.

Presumably you'll get it graded by one of the official grading services, but to me this looks like XF-40 or XF-45.  These don't come up for auction much in any condition.  I think I'm going super-conservative valuing it at over $3k.  (Hope this grades and values out higher than I've done -- I'm no expert.)

Thank you, it was a surreal moment seeing that gold disc flash by in the dirt, and it didn't really sink in as to what I'd dug until I saw the golden reeded edge.

I will likely have it slabbed, not that I'd ever sell it unless I had to, but just for posterity and to really know what it grades out to as I'm not a coin expert. 

• Like 1

Brian

Congratulations on your first gold coin.  That it is a rare one makes it that more exciting for you I am sure. :ohmy:

• Like 1