Equinox 600 No Respect???

Cabo Chris

All the talk seems mostly over the Equinox 800.  But what about the 600?  My first inclination too was to get on the 800 list which I did.  I wonder though, for a shallow water hunter such as myself, if the 600 might be a better choice?  It costs less and the wireless capability is not needed underwater nor are the higher frequencies of the 800.  For travel I could buy 2 600s and 2 sets of waterproof headphones (I like back-up on trips), for about the same price of 2 800s alone.  I'm most interested in hunting saltwater and guessing/hoping the 600/800 in beach mode will perform similar to an Excalibur.  Should that prove to be the case, then the Equinox 600 might suffice?  That is if the 600 and 800 run on the same multi-frequencies in beach mode?        

The higher single freq. capabilities of the 800 will be of little practical use in salt water - there, the multifreq capabilities will be the ticket.  They are probably at least the equal of the Excalibur

Sadly, like all the multifreq VLF detectors, they will be likely "deaf" to small gold, whereas - away from salt, the single freq 20 and 40 kHz capabilities will probably be very effective for small low conductors such s small nuggets and tiny gold jewelry - and, of course, every bit of aluminum trash.

Physics is a harsh mistress!

I have an 800 on order - I am keen to see what it does.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I find myself kicking the can between the 800 and 600. In one hand to have a fully unlocked detector, the 800, or keep my budget down because I'd primarily be using it as a coin shooter anyway with the 600.  I've seen nothing that says you cant find micro jewelry with the 600~  the 800 would just give one that little bit of edge in doing so.  I dont look for micro jewlery anyhow so what would be the point of higher freq's ?  A larger tone range and adjustments with the 800 but is it necessary for a 600 for what I'd use it for?  I can get most of the bells and whistles or just the ones I want to use.  Who's to say that a service center in the future might not offer an upgrade for 600's in the future on request?*** HINT TO MINELAB***   What do I want out of it is my point and probably the same thought others have.  There is not a lot separating the two but there is a lot separating what I want to do with it.

I just called ML and their lips won't sink any ships for sure!  Only fact I got was "This is a totally new technology".  I asked if the MF in Beach mode was the same for both the 600 to 800... Hush, hush.  But they implied without clarification other differences, like no user setting with 600 and something about not having the conductive vs. iron tones of the 800... not sure what that means?  But I mostly hunt by tones in the sea for jewelry and that may be a possible reason for me to stick with the 800?  

Normally I would just wait and see and rarely rush in to anything, but am scheduled for a Caribbean shallow water hunt this Jan and it sure would be fun to test an Equinox there!  Even if I got a machine in time, ML had no idea when the waterproof headphones would be available.        

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the link.

If you only use the Park, Field, and Beach Modes the 600 and 800 are the same with the 800 having the additional Gold Mode. So in theory no, if coin hunting is your game, you don’t need the 800. The 800 does offer extra tuning options you may desire however. See the article at the link.