V3 , V3i , VX3

Buzzard

Has anyone used one of these machines in AZ, I went to my local dealer and was told the V3i was not good in AZ, I should get a F75....
Wanted some other opinion on using one in AZ, I live in the Kingman area and want to hunt coins. I have an OLD MXT and would like to get a newer , top of the line coin hunter.
Tried hunting gold but due to leg damage I have trouble walking in the dessert . Took a bad fall a couple of days ago , bruised some ribs.
Made me think I need to hunt for coins, tot lots nd such.
OK , 'nough of my crap . Any opinions...
Thanks

I own a V3i, an MXT Pro and an F75. Although I've never used any of them in AZ, I can give you an honest opinion (and this is only my opinion)...

I really like the F75, it's light, balanced and has great sensitivity. Unfortunately, it does not have a ground tracking system (only ground grab) and is not my choice in mineralized soil. The V3i does have decent ground tracking and does better with mineralization... The color screen is great and provides excellent visual discrimination capabilities.

However, the MXT has one of the finest ground tracking systems ever devised. It was developed by Dave Johnson and is the same as the tracking system used in the GMT... It's lightening fast in adapting to ground mineralization changes. Therefore, if the ground you hunt in AZ is highly mineralized, I would suggest taking a look at a new MXT Pro.

• Like 2

I have owned the original Spectra V3 model plus later V3i models. One of the few detectors I am hanging onto because it is a detector nerds dream. I agree with previous commentary however that the ground balance/ground tracking system is not as good as it could be, and so the idea it is better in bad ground than a F75 is questionable at best. Staying with White's I would rather use an MXT in bad ground while nugget detecting, but I see no reason why the V3i would not serve well just about anywhere for coin and jewelry detecting.

Sorry to hear about your fall. I worry a little more about such things myself the older I get!

Thanks for the info Steve , I just pulled the trigger . ordered a VX3 with 3 coils ,  Stock , 6x10 DD , and 4x6 DD.

Used machine but only a few times.

Getting better after my fall, will be 62 in  few days.....falls while hunting alone in the desert scare me.....

Buzzard, congrats on the VX3! I check out the RnB battery... They are pricey, at $150, but well worth it in the long run. Between my V3i and TDI SL I quickly blew through several bricks of name brand alkaline batteries... That got expensive fast.

I also tried rechargeable NiMH batteries, but they were under 12 volts fresh off the charger... So both machines were constantly running at reduced capacity.

The RnB will run day after day, at a full 12 volts, without recharging. Keep an eye out for a used RnB, they sell quickly on the forums in the $80-$100 range.

• 2 months later...
On ‎14‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 7:53 PM, Buzzard said:

Thanks for the info Steve , I just pulled the trigger . ordered a VX3 with 3 coils ,  Stock , 6x10 DD , and 4x6 DD.

Used machine but only a few times.

I got me used VX3 too. It came with the 950 concentric coil. I added the wireless headphones and the white Detech 10 x 12 SEF coil... all found on ama5one or eebay. I really enjoy the Whites on farmland while I tend to use a lighter Golden Mask 4WD while hunting in forests, riverbeds and for stealth operations because it fits in a bagpack and is lightweight. :-)

• Like 2

On 19. 2. 2018 at 12:04 PM, rockhound said:

I got me used VX3 too. It came with the 950 concentric coil. I added the wireless headphones and the white Detech 10 x 12 SEF coil... all found on ama5one or eebay. I really enjoy the Whites on farmland while I tend to use a lighter Golden Mask 4WD while hunting in forests, riverbeds and for stealth operations because it fits in a bagpack and is Lightning. :-)

sometimes we do it ... Spectra 12x10 and backpack Golden mask coin killer -9 "spider with sennheiser rs 160 wireless headphones...

iphone 5S 2017 125 (816 x 612)_DxO.jpg

• Like 2