Best Gold Detector Under $1000.00

What do you consider the best metal / gold detector and why?? I am looking for a detector that can do both. I know most gold detectors run at a higher frequency that a standard detector. I live in an area where I can do both in Northern California Sierra Foothills. I would like to have one detector instead of two which I may end up with if there is not one brand detector that can do both Gold & Coin detecting. Will appreciate your feedback greatly.  Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill. 

Have a look here http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors.htm   Excellent reviews from Steve.  

Also, not sure what the Minelab Equinox is going to cost in the States but I would be waiting for it to come out and see a few reviews on it before buying anything - looks to be a real game changer. 

Have a look here for LOTS of info about the Equinox  http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/forum/53-minelab-equinox-fan-club/

Good luck with your choice  :wink:

• Like 2

if you cant wait and need to purchase one ASAP I would look at the Mine Lab X TERRA 705 which rite now can be had new in box for under $500 I have been using one since 08 or 09 and have never felt the need to up grade to something better it has a great prospecting mode and a good coin mode found my best find ever with one back in 09 and I have always felt it is one of the most under rated detectors on the market I have dug mercs while I was living in Ohio down to around 10 or 11 inches with the 705 if I were to ever up grade rite now I would have to get the Equinox but as I stated earlier in this post I have never felt the need to upgrade my best find ever was under the house I owned in Ohio in the crawl space under the house I detected a box in one corner down about 6 inches under the dirt floor that was full of all kinds of coins included in these coins was 12- 2.5 dollar gold pieces i cant really say enough about the X TERRA 705 but I will tell you the 705 is the one detector that will be with me till I die or it dies if you want a detector dedicated to just gold then I would look at the GM 1000 which I also own, some users have reported bump issues with the coils mainly the small coil but I have not experienced any of those issues reported by others.  

• Like 2