Equinox Weight & Balance

vfp7

Steve, having studied the shaft of Nox, it became very interesting to me how he had the weighting?
The heavy coil at the bottom, the control unit with the battery is at the level of the hand, and in the counterweight on the armrest there is nothing at all.
Logically, this combination should cause increased physical stress on the hand.
Can you answer this question in detail?

ps: judging by the angle of the handle on the shaft, I have a feeling that the Nox is designed to search under your feet.
That is, holding the shaft almost vertically ...

This is in response to VPF7 s post about weight, balance. 

I think this unit is so lightweight that it does not matter.  I picked up a Quest and the design is very similar  to the EQ units. I can swing the Quest all day with no fatigue or soreness. 

That basically sums it up Redneck. At 2.9 lbs most people will have no issues swinging this all day, day after day.

Weight and balance gets tricky. If you go as light as possible a detector will usually be nose heavy to some degree. This can be offset with weight under the elbow, but then the weight goes up.

Minelab cheated and gives you the ability to have your cake and eat it too. The detector is designed first to be light in weight. However, slots were added to the footrest to make it easy to strap external batteries, counterweights, or both combined. I may experiment with this myself with the larger 15" x 12" coil when it is available.

As far as grip angle and such, that never seems to suit everyone. It is fairly obvious from all the videos that the Equinox is designed to be swung like any other detector. Works for me - your milage may vary. :smile:

minelab-equinox-armrest.jpg

minelab-equinox-in-use.jpg

• Like 1

Steve on the subject of handle angle.  I'm surprised the manufactures have not make an adjustable handle.  Loosen up a wingnut,  change the angle, and retighten.   Build in some " teeth" on the pieces to provide somewhat of a lock between the parts, so the wingnut would not have to be cranked so tight. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 7:10 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

minelab-equinox-in-use.jpg

The picture of the guy swinging the Equinox is a poster child of someone that has the lower rod extended way too far.  The coil is at least 2 feet in front of his feet and he still has a large crook in his elbow. 

Hopefully he has just borrowed it from someone 6' 6" tall LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even if you get weight and balance spot on, you can't fight people determined to make it harder on themselves. And life is not that simple anyway. Truth is in the turf I push down on the EQX 800 as I attempt to flatten the grass and get my coil closer to the ground. Or, due to the machine being so light, I will run the rod all the way out at times for a wider sweep. My gosh folks, I come from a 7.2 lb GPZ 7000!! Anyone who does not run machines in that class has no idea what real weight and balance issues are! :smile:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jackpine said:

The picture of the guy swinging the Equinox is a poster child of someone that has the lower rod extended way too far.  The coil is at least 2 feet in front of his feet and he still has a large crook in his elbow.

What is the correct feet--coil distance and what is the correct elbow angle?  I'm probably doing it wrong, too.  I'm pretty sure I'm causing my back extra stress and I don't even have heavy detectors.

Ergonomically, the closer you can get to your natural stance with your arm hanging loose at your side, the better off you will be in general. Most people run coils out too far, which contributes to a detector being more nose heavy. And then there really is a tendency to pull back and up because the rod is too long, resulting in what you see in the picture. In the case of the photo shortening the rod and leaving the coil exactly where it is would allow the person pictured to let their arm hang more naturally.

• Like 2