Detector Market

Cabo Chris

Wasn't aware China would copy a cheaper machine, only the more expensive units.

If that is the case, I'd imagine once bought and it turned out to be a China copy, buyer beware.  I guess a person would be stuck.........

Thanks for the heads up..............

I still believe the Equinox is helping to flood the used detector market.  I just picked up a sweet deal on a used Explorer SE Pro with 4 coils, including an SEF, WOT, phones, accessories...  for under $550.  Now some of you will respond I paid too much and perhaps I did, but do not care.  I got a great FBS machine cheap!  I have not used Explorers much.  Had a customized XS and a Safari.  I was not too fond of either after some basic testing and sold them without fair field use.  I've had 4 3030s, because 3 of them leaked.  So I know what the CTX is all about- obviously the best FBS machine.  

But I just could not pass on the used SE and know I good ring find will pay for it, which I expect to happen based on my beach work with BBS/CTX.  The only way for me to know if I like a detector or not is to use it.  Because I had not fallen in love with the XS/Safari, I had some doubts about the SE.  Well I just got it and it's in better condition than the photos/description!  Put it together and liked this detector instantly.  It responds better to my test targets than the XS/Safari seemed to.  Actually now that I understand CTX functions, the SE seems easy to run.  It does seem faster than the XS/Safari  and I can't wait to hit the beach in search of jewelry.  

As mostly an Excalibur user, thus far I do like the tones of the SE.  Like the detector is speaking to me and my brain can process what I hear.  If after some hunts if I do not still like the SE, I'll make a great package deal to someone else!  But I suspect I will be keeping the SE!

Because the NOX has become such a sensation is why I even looked at Explorers.  I just wanted to see the market, especially what is/will be happening with the CTX!  When I saw how cheap SEs went for, I just had to try one.  I'm looking forward to testing in wet salt sand the SE vs. NOX on deep gold rings and am hoping the NOX Wows me!  I want the Equinox to excel for my travel needs, but suspect the NOX will not provide the same level of tonal information as FBS?  Some who sold their FBS machines for a NOX may be going back?  I want the NOX to be the best machine for my needs.                   

Hey Cabo.....that is a killer deal for an SE.  I know it has been mentioned numerous time already, but there are some great deals out there for used Explores, e-tracs etc.  Heck, as soon as I was satisfied with the Equinox info, I sold my e-trac. This was 2 months ago....I paid $1100 new, but got $980 for it on fee bay with more than 2 years of active warrenty.  

Why????  I hunt the beaches of So. Cal.  Everytime I would get too close the surf, it seemed that rouge wave would get too close for a non water proof detector.   

To each his own, but I am confident that my Eqinox preorder is the right decision for me. 

Wait.....I already have 2 Excals and a Dual Field.  Do I really need the Equinox.....Yes I do. : -)

Congrats Cabo on the purchase.  Life is to short to ignore wants.  Keep us posted on how you do.

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/119797/customer-counterfeit-comms.pdf

This is a (now) five year old document which shows the X-Terra 705 Gold Pack authentication sticker.

https://www.minelab.com/usa/customer-care/stop-counterfeits/counterfeit-update

This webpage has a bit more overall (GPX models especially), but I don't think anything new (compared to above) regarding the X-T 705 GP.  Still 4 1/2 years old so maybe they've got the problem licked.  Take that back; I doubt the counterfeiting problem is ever really licked.  Kind of a whack-a-mole game....

Thanks Guys, I know it may seem silly buying a used FBS SE just prior to the Equinox release and even I questioned my actions.  But I'm really liking this SE for beach and general treasure hunting.  Granted it does require a slower swing, yet seems a step above the XS and Safari I briefly had and I just like the flute tones better than my CTX.  Despite being older technology I'm rather satisfied with this gamble purchase.  The control box looks new as it was always covered and every function works.  As a BBS user for years, getting used to something different, even FBS can be difficult as one develops a bias.  For my shallow water detecting needs I feel nothing can touch BBS and am not looking forward to the day possibly when Excalibur production ceases.  Like the end of the Sovereign.  I really wish ML would produce a modern Excal!  Something light that folds for travel... like their Go Find machines.

But this new SE just might get me hooked on FBS as FBS days may be numbered?  I'm liking the full screen digital view, all metal pattern and the Long response.  Not sure yet about Conductive vs Ferrous responses and which might be better on a salt beach for jewelry?  

While I'm looking forward to the Equinox as potentially a travel machine, it's going to have to blow the SE off the beach for me to sell my new to me FBS machine.  Who knows it just might do that?  I can see where new NOX technologies could make it better.  Such as being a faster responding detector which might permit more ground coverage and hence more finds?  I always find the most gold jewelry when I cover ground Caribbean shallow water hunting.  Some Pros like to search every square inch of a particular area and when I do that find less.  So being faster the NOX might provide a serious advantage over BBS/FBS?  It does not seem the NOX will be able to provide as much target/tonal info as FBS?  And I keep bringing up ML says the NOX will not handle saltwater as well as BBS/FBS, nor be as sensitive to silver.  I know lots of you hunt for deep silver coins with FBS, so will the NOX compete?  I'm very hopeful the Equinox meets our expectations.  

At this point while I have 2 800s on order I'm still thinking about going with 2 600s instead, since mostly a beach/shallow water hunter. (My dealer friend will let me switch).  I like the simplicity of the Excalibur when in water/surf and think the NOX 600 simpler than the 800?  I may not need the other 800 functions?  I'm not to fond of wireless anything as wireless is a constant problem in my small business- so I really do not care about the wireless phones of the 800.  I'll be using the waterproof phones anyway.  Some say the 800 will be good for micro gold jewelry on the beach.  I may be missing out hunting for micro gold but again my style of hunting has proven again and again, when I think small gold and struggle to hear every tiny signal, that's what I find... small gold.  When I think big gold I tend to have more fun and guess what... find bigger pieces of gold!  I'll take the bigger pieces.  I know all about expensive small rings with diamonds and such and have found several.  One nice engagement ring found was insurance appraised for nearly $9,000/replacement value.  I've not been able to sell this beautiful ring for $3,000!  So it's in my collection.  Yup diamonds are nice, but I like finding big gold!  So the 15 KHz of the NOX 600 should be fine for dry sand beach gold.  I just have to wait for ML to release more on the Equinox to make a final decision.

In the end I blame the lengthy Equinox release for my perception of a used detector buyers market and why I now for better or worse have an SE.  It's the Explorer accessories that remain pricy... like lower coil rods.  I would like 2!  New high capacity batteries and I just purchased an aftermarket aluminum Explorer arm cuff for some $50!          

• Like 1