Hello From Tennessee!

TennesseeDigger

Hey everybody!

I hope I’m in the right section, I didn’t see an introduce yourself Area.. 

I’ve been hunting for 8 months and it’s AWESOME! I live in Chattanooga and I hunt parks and civil war areas mainly. I use an XP deus, Fisher F70, Vaquero and Garrett At Max. Hoping to get the Equniox one day!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TennesseeDigger said:

I’ve been hunting for 8 months and it’s AWESOME!

Welcome TND!  Sounds like you have the enthusiasm.  That's a required component that you don't have to be concerned with anymore.  Your arsenal of detectors is impressive, particularly for someone only 8 months in.

My advice (and keep in mind I've only been serious about this about 3x as long as you) is to learn to interpret what your detector is telling you.  It's kinda like when someone moves in the neighborhood who doesn't speak your language.  Yes, you can communicate by handwaving, body language, etc. and sorta get by.  But when you learn that person's language the detail and info gets so much more valuable.  Your detector(s) has all that info in there just trying to get out.  The more thoughtful experience you acquire using it will enrich your knowledge and subsequently your good finds.

The user manual is your primer textbook.  Other experienced users, particularly those with the same or very similar models can be mentors/teachers.  This site is a great resource, both for reading but also asking questions.  Posters here are the remote teachers in an online course.  But, as when learning a language the real key is 'immersion' (putting yourself in situations where only that new language can be used), to get over-the-hump requires many tens of hours of experimentation with controls, digging things up, and reflection on what/why/how those noises and visual clues the detector was making could have told you what was there even before you dug it.

You're well on your way.  Don't forget to 'share' by posting pictures of your finds.  All of us like to see positive results.  Success can be contageous!

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips! I mainly hunt with the Deus, due it being so light and wireless. When I first got it I wanted to wrap it around a tree I was so frustrated with it. The more I used it I started to understand how to use it. Your right sticking with it and learning the tonal response is key.

One great thing about this site after lurking for a month is everyone is very knowledgeable, helpful and it doesn't suffer from major drama or trolls as some sites have. I like the lay out too.

I'm starting to make videos of my meager hunts I'll post those when I get them created. :biggrin:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...