True All Metal Mode?

Wayfarer

This may have been answered somewhere already, I searched and couldn't find an answer, but my question is:  Does the new Equinox have a true all-metal mode?  Like when you press the Horseshoe button?    By "all-metal" I mean non-motion, non-disc filter, unfiltered all-metal audio.  

There is kind of a "hybrid" all-metal mode that bypasses the disc filter circuits (not just disc set to zero) but requires a small amount amount of motion because it has a self-adjusting threshold in all-metal.  Is this how the Equinox operates?  Or when you press the "Horseshoe" there isn't any S.A.T. and you are in true non-motion all-metal?   

I've been spoiled by all my true non-motion all-metal detectors because of the large depth gains that usually come with non-motion all-metal, so I hope that is how it works with the Eq.  Thanks.

The Horseshoe button toggles between a disc mode with target id numbers masked out or rejected and the very same mode with all targets set to accept. It does not activate a true threshold based all metal prospecting mode.

The Gold Mode, which only exists on the Equinox 800, is optimized for finding small targets but is more complicated than just a simple all metal mode..

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks Steve.  This is another huge advantage of the 800 then over the 600.  It would've been nice to have a true all metal mode with the other frequencies, but it's most important in the 20 and 40 prospecting mode, so I'll certainly take that.

Does Gold mode have a S.A.T. and is it speed adjustable?  

And I'm wondering about a separate question:  Does Target ID display in pinpoint mode?  That could be a workaround to get non-motion all-metal in the other modes.

Thanks again Steve.  I'm just trying to get our minds of this whole release date/Minelab's website being down thing.  :smile:

• 2 months later...

This is a concern of mine too in that all of  the wide / narrow / size / shape info that all-metal provides seems to be harder to come by with the Eq.  PP does the funny muting thing when you get in to close, and a/m via the horseshoe is just a blank version  of the current search.  Maybe a toned down Gold mode User set-up is the way to go.  With no all metal mode my skill set is crippled. 

cjc

Gold Mode is an all metal mode but not the true first derivative type threshold based all metal mode that I assume you are referring to Clive. I answered this question in detail back in January - see below.

As you note the horseshoe button just opens all the discriminated notches to accept all items. Pinpoint does the auto ratchet thing as you note. I can "size" targets in Gold Mode but probably not as efficiently as what you are thinking of.

Personally I size targets by lifting the coil. A sprinkler head will read like a quarter, but lifting the coil rapidly alerts me that this is a much larger target. I have no major issue sizing with the pinpoint - when I start to one side and move in it is readily apparent to me initially whether I am moving in on a large or small target. However, I rarely use a pinpoint function on any detector. I can eyeball the center of a target just as well without, and by lifting the coil size the target almost instantly.

That's just me however and it may be that people who employ other methods will be less than satisfied with Equinox in that regard. I guess like any detector you give it a go and see if it grows on you or not.

Hope all is well in your world Clive. I gave your book a plug here. You should consider putting a link to your website in your signature line.