Equinox Versus Fbs?

Cabo Chris

Other than a CTX 3030 I've not used FBS machines much buttold FBS loves gold range targets.  I'm mostly interested in beach/river detecting and searching for gold jewelry and gold coins.  I see so many FBS machines up for sale now and one under $400 that looks like it sold.  Really, $400 for a newer FBS detector?  Why 1 gold ring find could pay for that!  I will be getting an Equinox, but dang... it's hard to pass on these FBS deals!  While I do not want to buy an obsolete machine, is it the consensus here that the Equinox may be better for finding gold jewelry than FBS?  If that's the case, then obviously buying a used FBS might be a waste of $?  I read mixed opinions.  One tester said the Equinox seems deeper than FBS in his ground, but ML states the Equinox will not handle saltwater as well as FBS.  So, should I steer clear of a used FBS deal or not?

Chris --

I am probably the former owner of that "under $400 newer FBS detector" you saw sold!  It was not sold because FBS detectors are not very capable.  I LOVE the Explorer line, and I found plenty of deep/old coins with Explorers.  But for my purposes (deep old coin hunter in turf), I like the CTX a little more.

Yes, the older FBS units are great on the beach, in terms of depth and stability, dry OR wet salt.  They do just fine on gold too -- with the exception of VERY SMALL gold, particularly chains/bracelets -- which in some cases they are "dead" to.  But rings, pendants, etc. -- they do just fine, and will get better depth on those targets in the "wet salt" than most (if not all) single-frequency VLF units. 

With that said though, with you already being a CTX user, not sure why you'd want an older FBS unit for the beach, unless just looking for a good backup machine -- in which case, YES, it would be a great deal at $400 for you. 

More particularly though, I see these $400 FBS units more suited to someone who is either swinging a single-frequency VLF in the wet salt and is looking for something that will perform better, OR someone who is a turf coin hunter who wants to "move up" in performance, but doesn't want to spend what a CTX costs.  For this person, YES -- a $400 FBS unit is a VERY good deal.

For SMALL gold, I think the Equinox will do a better job, particularly since you can choose single-frequency 20 kHz or 40 kHz in the "dry."  Not sure obviously (until they are available for us to swing) how it will compare to an FBS unit in the "wet salt," on a target like a gold ring, but I have to believe it will do just as well. 

Again though, I'm not sure why you are thinking about older FBS technology, as a CTX user.  If you didn't have a CTX, I would understand your interest in an older FBS machine.  But, IF you are looking for something that will perform BETTER than your CTX as a gold ring/gold coin hunter at beaches (which it kind of sounds like you are), my opinion is that FBS might "equal" the performance of the CTX, but won't "surpass it;" however, the Equinox MIGHT...

Just my two cents, as a 7-year Explorer user now swinging the CTX.

Steve

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Equinox Versus Fbs?
2 hours ago, steveg said:

Chris --

I am probably the former owner of that "under $400 newer FBS detector" you saw sold!  It was not sold because FBS detectors are not very capable.  I LOVE the Explorer line, and I found plenty of deep/old coins with Explorers.  But for my purposes (deep old coin hunter in turf), I like the CTX a little more.

Yes, the older FBS units are great on the beach, in terms of depth and stability, dry OR wet salt.  They do just fine on gold too -- with the exception of VERY SMALL gold, particularly chains/bracelets -- which in some cases they are "dead" to.  But rings, pendants, etc. -- they do just fine, and will get better depth on those targets in the "wet salt" than most (if not all) single-frequency VLF units. 

With that said though, with you already being a CTX user, not sure why you'd want an older FBS unit for the beach, unless just looking for a good backup machine -- in which case, YES, it would be a great deal at $400 for you. 

More particularly though, I see these $400 FBS units more suited to someone who is either swinging a single-frequency VLF in the wet salt and is looking for something that will perform better, OR someone who is a turf coin hunter who wants to "move up" in performance, but doesn't want to spend what a CTX costs.  For this person, YES -- a $400 FBS unit is a VERY good deal.

For SMALL gold, I think the Equinox will do a better job, particularly since you can choose single-frequency 20 kHz or 40 kHz in the "dry."  Not sure obviously (until they are available for us to swing) how it will compare to an FBS unit in the "wet salt," on a target like a gold ring, but I have to believe it will do just as well. 

Again though, I'm not sure why you are thinking about older FBS technology, as a CTX user.  If you didn't have a CTX, I would understand your interest in an older FBS machine.  But, IF you are looking for something that will perform BETTER than your CTX as a gold ring/gold coin hunter at beaches (which it kind of sounds like you are), my opinion is that FBS might "equal" the performance of the CTX, but won't "surpass it;" however, the Equinox MIGHT...

Just my two cents, as a 7-year Explorer user now swinging the CTX.

Steve

Steve, thanks for the great info.  My water hunting experience mostly lies with BBS.  The CTX is wonderful, but I find more in the water with Excaliburs... Not to mention the 3030 does not travel well... Short battery, leak potential, babied more...  As a result of so many trips with BBS, I hunt by ear/tone.  I've used the CTX on 4 trips and was swayed into Combined and fewer tones by CTX gurus.  I found gold and Target Trace is fantastic!  Personally I've concluded simple in the water is better and a reason I have high expectations for the Nox as a travel detector.  Excaliburs are simple.  But still need aftermarket accessories.  I could seriously cut my weight with 2 Equinox!  But that's still to be seen.

I'm also interested in local hunting for gold coins, jewelry.  Stories of coins washing ashore on my beaches/along Columbia River.  Also thousands of razor clam diggers for the past 50 years, must have lost rings!

My sudden interest in FBS, in particular an SE is because I have read mixed reviews... But a theme that repeats is that Explorers have sweet gold tones and something I'm used to with my older early model Blue Tube, which has the best Excalibur tones- smooth!  I also read several SE users say they sold their 3030s and returned to Explorers because of better tones.  True?  So when I see an FBS machine under $500, well that seems tempting.  But not if the Equinox Technologies blow FBS away as a do-all treasure hunter?  My feeling is the Nox will be very good but on larger gold jewelry FBS/BBS could still rule.  Max depth and speed are good, but not everything!  A good source tells me the older Whites TDI PRO is a Depth Monster on gold jewelry at salt beaches.  Still I've found 30 times more gold jewelry/coins with BBS than any PI!  I would have bought your SE had I seen it sooner!  I have my sights on one and why I'm seeking advice here. 

I do not like swinging an Excalibur on beach/land and may also just return to a used Sovereign!  The few I tried a while back had great tones (XS) and seemed to like gold range targets.

But who knows... The Equinox might become my go-to machine?

I have an Explorer 2. I can not wait for the equinox to go on sale to buy it, but I do not think it will sell my explore. The sound that Explorer 2 has and how stable it goes in salt moisture is second to none

When the CTX came out i always thought it sounded like the Explorer , the ET sounds deeper to me and that could be the reason i think the Explorer is better for Silver .

When the Equinox was outed earlier this year i was wondering about selling my ET or even both Explorers or just 1 but lately i have decided that i will keep all of them . They may have mostly paid for themselves but they are now cheap detecting and i dont class them obsolete at all . 

I will keep the ET till Minelab bring out a replacement for it and that depends on the Equinox capability . 

The Explorer's will stay till they are not worth their weight in rust or if someone wants one at the right price , but they are in near mint condition as i dont use their stems or stands or even coils. I use the ET's spare Pro coil and stems.

And the Pro coil turns the Explorer's into formidable units.

I'm looking forward to comparing the Equinox side-by-side to the used Explorer SE I just purchased in wet salt sand on larger gold rings.  It will be interesting to see how these 2 machines handle Pacific Beaches, where there is a rich mix of iron.  It will also be interesting how the Equinox ID numbers and tones classify similar targets such as a gold ring and a pull tab compared to FBS.  My ears are BBS trained and am hoping the new NOX technology surpasses both FBS/BBS for my detecting needs.  I prefer simple and if it does might then make sense to sell my FBS/BBS detectors, because 1, the NOX is better and 2, familiarization of 1 machine makes sense over memorization of multiple platforms?  As an example- traveling to say Barbados... with an Equinox it would be easy to hit the old sugar mill/plantation for old coins, then take a dunk in the sea at Miami Beach for gold jewelry and later that night hit the dry sand for micro gold... all with the same machine.  Well at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Im a wait and see guy when it comes to any water machine that comes close to the Xcal.... especially one that can use true AM in PP mode.   Ive used the FBS....... all of um on the beach.   The Exp and ET on the wet sand doesnt have the target separation that the Sov does..... target and mineral can sound a lot alike.   The CTX change that with the ability to designate tones...... and it faster with the ability to really design a program.   both the FBS and BBS will pick up a piece of gold about .3 gram.   On the dry sand...... honestly most are moving to fast and looking for recent drops....... so all that depth is wasted.   I forsee a lot of those AT pros that come to visit here in Fl every year and find they werent the best choice for in the water hunting ..... will be grabbing these up as a good all around machine.  They may not out perform the TOP machines designed for a specific purpose, but those machines may not do what this machine will do in other areas.   In the salt water...... the Xcal is top dog still, but will we be able to tell a difference......... again, compare the price of an Xcal and a CTX which at the end of the day most will say there isnt a huge difference to finds.

• Like 1