New To Me VX3

Buzzard

These machines can seem a bit overwhelming at first, with all the menus and sub-menus. However, very few adjustments are actually needed after you find the right settings for stable operation in your ground. There is a learning curve so try to give it some time.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:19 PM, Buzzard said:

Took the VX3 out in the real world today , not happy with the machine, too jumpy too many hits but not repeatable . Wish I had got an MX 7 or MX Sport...I think I would trade if I had the chance.

Buzzard, 'V3i/MXT Pro' gave you some suggestion that might be helpful.  I know that I tinkered wy the VX3 I had early-on to get it to work a bit better than the factory default settings, but to be honest, as I like to be, it just didn't satisfy me for where I usually hunt.  It didn't matter which coil I worked on it, it was 'Okay' buy it wasn't great or exciting.  It lacked what I wanted or needed in performance.

I won't twist your arm, but for a land-hunting detector that is light and well balanced, 'simple' to operate and adjust, and a very decent performer afield, I have to recommend the new MX-7, plus get a smaller coil for it.  I enjoy the 6½ Inch Concentric that is due for release soon and it's my primary-use coil.  The 950 and 7" DD are very capable 'back-up' or 'specialty use' coils in my arsenal as well.  I keep one of them on my 2nd MX-7 for different hunting needs.

All the best to you, and Merry Christmas!

Monte

The only reason I chose the MX Sport was the DD coil...........I will sell the VX3 or trade if the deal is good.

Lots of goodies with it , 2 coils , 950 and 10x6 , wireless head phones (whites) , 2 recharge batteries plus AA batt case. and carry case keeping the 4x6 for my MXT

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

That was quick...... You just got it last Tuesday and already you are getting rid of it?

The V series machines are fantastic machines...... BUT, they are not for everybody. 

You have to find a machine you are comfortable with and one you will use.

That, will be best detector........ For you anyway.

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Some folks like simpler detectors.

Some folks like more complicated to set up.

The term "turn and go" seems gets applied to about every detector model made.

Unfortunately this term when used isn't the tell all.

The V3 series highlights an interesting quandary for detector designers. Anyone will tell you the V detectors do not have to be complicated. Just use the presets, maybe bump the Gain a notch, and go.

Yet the extra controls by simply existing seem to be an issue of sort, even if they go unused. People do commonly complain about the V detectors being overly complicated or intimidating. There seems to be a sense that one should be able to completely understand a detector in its entirety. If an owner comes to feel that they can’t get their head around all the controls and exactly how they interact, it creates an odd feeling of unease. This feeling that the owner does not really know exactly how to set the detector up for best performance. Always this nagging feeling that ends up making the owner not like the machine.

I have mentioned this in the past by simply observing how people comment and react to the V series on the forums over the years. The answer from people who get along with the V inevitably is that there is no need to make it complicated. Yet that is missing an obvious issue with complexity that the V appears to highlight for many owners. The controls in and of themselves by simply existing are creating an impediment to people liking the V, even if it is understood that those controls do not have to be accessed or used. It is interesting more from a user psychology standpoint than anything and highlights how what engineers think people want and even what people themselves think they want do not always prove out in reality. V3i versus MXT is the perfect illustration of two vastly different ways to design a detector interface, and one that often separates users into two distinct camps based on which system they prefer.

• Like 2

The V3i has a MXT program in the library:

Expert Menu > Program > Restore / Load > Library Program 

You'll find: Alluvial Scan, Beep-Dig, Chestnut, Coin, Coin & Jewelry, Common, Deep Silver, Dusk, Fireside, Hi-Pro, High Trash, Meteorite, Mixed Mode Pro, MXT, Pine, Prospecting, Relic, Salt Beach, Sunshine

If you want to LOAD the MXT Program to play with it, use the NEW / Copy feature.