How Well Do You Know Your Gold Detector?

Not knowing the mineralization of said area and to be on the safe side I would take a high frequency VLF detector for small and or sponge type of gold nugget or specimens. Two different types of PI detectors, one to find small gold nuggets in highly mineralize ground and one to fine deeper gold nuggets in highly mineralize ground. I won't list the brand of detectors I would take as there are many a person could chose from that would fit the criteria I listed above. A few different size and types of accessory coils would be consider also.

• Like 4

GPZ 7000 simply because with the tech and the 14" coil you have very small to very large and all types of gold pretty much covered. 

And the Gold monster for different tech, tiny gold and discrimination abilities.  (Perhaps soon to be superseded in my line-up by a Equinox).

And thanks for popping the racy sheep picture  in there - makes the New Zealanders feel more welcome :laugh::laugh: (just kidding JW  :tongue:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If the coil can be swung right on the surface where those pieces were, I`d say the GPZ7000 would get all of those in its depth range, a HF VLF I would also say this again stating in its depth range, also probably this would be true for all the more solid pieces with ML PIs in its depth range, I  say ML PIs because that is the only PIs I`ve used. 

Now if the mineralization is hot, the GPZ 7000 I believe will get them deeper then the other MDs. With the PIs getting most at more depth then the VLFs. With the VLFs  being limited by the mineralization, I`d put them again getting the lot if they are in their depth range.

If the mineralization is zilch, I`d still go with the GPZ 7000 getting them at more depth but the gap would be narrowed and the VLFs would gain a bit of depth.

As per the above I`d take the GPZ 7000 providing of course its smallest coil the 14" can be swept right on the ground and the gold is not sitting under a fence, close to EMI sources or surrounded by heaps of trash. In the 5th and 10 th photo I can`t see any gold so I have not included them in my "assay".

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Lets say you have been a working person for 20+ years and contributing to the growth of our fine country.  You are not rich by any means, but if need be you could find a way to get a good metal detector or two (just like most folks on here reading this).  Heck, even after hunting season, you could sell a couple guns?  NOT...

I get the impression Gerry you are trying to exclude the high price units from being a choice? Don’t know about that, but I do know I would never go on any trip that was “a trip of a lifetime” or even just a weekend outing without toting two detectors - my GPZ 7000 plus a good VLF. The GPZ for all around power, and the VLF for when the trash gets too bad and as backup.

Which VLF I would grab would depend on the exact potential situation. If tiny gold of any type was expected, I would grab the Gold Monster. However, it is limited by the 10” elliptical coil when it comes to ground coverage, and for covering lots of ground in trashy tailing piles I might want a detector that can handle a larger coil, like my Gold Racer with 15” x 13” DD coil or perhaps the Equinox once the 15” x 12” DD becomes available. The Equinox has great potential for hunting tailing piles.

• Like 5

Steve,

Well said, and as most other contributors have similar ideas, I liked however how you added discrimination to the mix, for when you're detecting dredge tailings or detecting around old mill sites, lots and lots of trash can be present that will drive anyone nuts.

As for me, weight and fatigue are factors, so the heavy PI's rule when the heat won't kill you, especially if there's extreme mineralization or if going deep is a prime need, but I'll run along as often as I can with a great VLF, with discrimination and target ID, as my mind is more alert due to less fatigue from not having to lug around a beast all day. I too look forward to the day when there's a great PI that'll do what the best heavy brutes do but all packaged in lighter materials. And wouldn't it be wonderful if it had great discrimination too?

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 2

Big Thanks Gerry for starting this thread,

ya know for once in my life I have found something (Detecting) where there is nothing that I dislike about it, I prefer it if the weather is fine but even when it's not I am happy to be out there, As long as I am swinging and digging then I am a happy camper, Plenty of targets good and bad and good company, what more can a person ask for, :cool:

John.

• Like 4