Make Garrett Carrot Last Longer

This is my first post after lurking for many months. Steve, you have a way with words and a level of civility that verges on saintly. I have learned a great deal reading your posts, specifically about the Equinox, and I hope to glean more from this excellent forum in the future. Thanks to others who also contribute excellent content. While I don't have much to share, I thought I would at least post a "tip" for a common problem we have. 

Here is a link to a video describing a way to keep the Garrett Carrot's tip from wearing through for not much money.

• Thanks 1

I've never worn through the tip and I use then a lot. . My problem is they keep breaking internal. First one was the button became so sensitive if you just brushed it on your shirt it would turn on. Second one now the light won't turn off after the probe is turned off. Great probe otherwise. Neither have i sent back yet. 

strick

Welcome to the forum Againstmywill, and thank you for the kind words.

I have four Garrett pinpointers. My original and oldest is still going strong. A second one I got because I thought I had lost my first one got weird on me rather quickly, with multiple button pushes required to turn it on or off. Basically, it quit working properly in a short time. I never did get around to doing anything about it since I found the first one again

I got a third one as part of a package deal, but other than turning it on and off it is unused. And finally, my orange Carrot, one of the first, still going strong.

With Garrett product there seems to be high failure rates but they always fix stuff without complaint or delay. Still, you would think after enough warranty returns that the failure issues would be identified and improved. And maybe they have been. I would assume newer ones would be more reliable but I assume many things that turn out to be wrong. I just don’t know. I may as well sell that one I have that has never been used however, especially since I have a new Fisher F-Pulse on the way to try out. 

garrett-atx-and-garrett-carrot.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like that tip would last forever!

If I want to seal or protect something, I use Marine Goop. Dries hard and wears well. Even put a little on the bottom of my coils.

If I had to glue that tip on, I would have used it. 

I take it back... I wouldn't glue that on with Marine Goop.    I would use the Gorilla glue.

Reason is that tonight I tried to take apart some Gold Hog matting I had glued together. One section I had used the Gorilla glue to attach the two pieces.... It came apart.  The other sections I used Marine Goop..... No way were they coming apart.  Had to cut them apart.

If you ever wanted to replace that tip, you wouldn't want to grind it off.

You have a good "tip" though.

There are several products out there that you can simply dip the head of the pin pointer into Flexseal.. plastidip etc.. then when you want to remove you just can use a dull knife and peel off..

strick

• 3 months later...

My memeory could be playing tricks on me, but I seem to recall in the last few days I read a post here where someone used heat shrink tubing to cover the tip of a pinpointer.  That would be something I'd likely try since it is easily reversible (as long as you don't melt the pinpointer housing during the heat shrink process :wacko:).  I tried searching for 'heat shrink' and 'heatshrink' but didn't find the post.  Then again, maybe I was searching incorrectly.

Guest Tnsharpshooter
On April 18, 2018 at 9:10 AM, GB_Amateur said:

My memeory could be playing tricks on me, but I seem to recall in the last few days I read a post here where someone used heat shrink tubing to cover the tip of a pinpointer.  That would be something I'd likely try since it is easily reversible (as long as you don't melt the pinpointer housing during the heat shrink process :wacko:).  I tried searching for 'heat shrink' and 'heatshrink' but didn't find the post.  Then again, maybe I was searching incorrectly.

It may be here where you seen.

• 2 months later...

Thanx for the video on the repair Againstmywill.

Today my buddy came up to me and said "hey look, I got a hole on my pinpointer...this means that if water gets to the inside, I may have problems". So I pulled mine out of the holster and what do ya know? I have the same thing going on but my hole is bigger than his. Couldn't tell because dirt had plugged up the hole. Who would have thought that you could wear a hole in it only after a 1 year worth of use. Well...off to Lowes.

1-20180701_094112.jpg