Pinpoint Sensitivity Adjustments

Dan(NM)

Steve, I remember seeing in a video(Russian tester) that the pinpoint mode has a separate sensitivity adjustment. Now, I believe the Nox has modulated audio which can help to identify deeper targets from the more shallow ones. I'm thinking the pinpoint sensitivity could come in very handy to also help determine the depth of a target along with the modulated audio.  Have you experimented with the pinpoint sensitivity yet and do you feel this a feature that has any real benefit to it? 

There is no sensitivity adjustment on the pinpoint mode. It is just your standard pinpoint mode that increases in both volume and pitch as you zero in on the target. You can however adjust the pinpoint tone. On the Equinox 800 only you can however adjust the pinpoint tone or pitch to suit your ear.

The audio on the Equinox is generally all I need to figure depth. Deep targets are soft and mellow, shallow targets louder and harsher. Very shallow targets generate multiple hits from the DD coil and so are very obvious. Like any with any detector there are challenging targets. A small machine screw will sometimes make a high tone coin response, but due to its size sound deeper than it is. Depth gauges and such are simply signal strength indicators that are calibrated to a common coin, like a dime. Targets both larger and smaller than the calibration item will cause the meter to be inaccurate. Proper pinpointing and listening can catch these few oddball items but I often dig before I should, and stuff like that will catch me now and then. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification, I couldn't understand a word he was saying and the translater mode was doing a lousy job. Thank you. Sounds like it's the same type used on every other machine and I do like  the idea of being able to adjust the pitch of the pinpoint tone.

9 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Which is why people using prototype detectors are not supposed to be talking about or showing things that exist for developmental purposes.

I would hate to be the Minelab Engineers at this point! Its like building a house, getting the walls and roof up can happen quickly once the plans are done, the thing that takes the most time finishing off a house is the fit out, all the fiddly plastering and painting jobs. The house for all intents and purposes looks finished so the neighbors are wondering why the owners haven't moved in yet, meanwhile inside they still haven't finalized what sort of kitchen layout they want.

How any tester can think its OK to do video of a metal detector menu that is still in development is beyond me, they will look very silly if something they've shown is changed in the final fit out!!

And to answer the constant questions about an owners manual, read the above paragraph again!!

JP

• Like 3

I just don't get why this is still all secret with the release next month?  I believe ML said when they announce the release, the manual would be posted on their site and why I'm wondering where the manual is?  

I personally could care less if the prototypes have changes.  That's no big deal and expected.  Whatever changes must be for the better anyway.     

1 minute ago, Cabo Chris said:

I just don't get why this is still all secret with the release next month?  I believe ML said when they announce the release, the manual would be posted on their site and why I'm wondering where the manual is?  

I personally could care less if the prototypes have changes.  That's no big deal and expected.  Whatever changes must be for the better anyway.     

I'm having a hard time understanding why you think an owners manual can be made available when things still haven't been finalized. Its no secret, its just plain fact, you can't deliver an owners manual until everything else is finished. Just like you can't really live in a house properly until the kitchen is finished, field testers are basically people who have to roll out a mattress on the floor and have bucket baths.

JP

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I'm having a hard time understanding why you think an owners manual can be made available when things still haven't been finalized. Its no secret, its just plain fact, you can't deliver an owners manual until everything else is finished. Just like you can't really live in a house properly until the kitchen is finished, field testers are basically people who have to roll out a mattress on the floor and have bucket baths.

JP

Why do you say it's not finalized with a 4 week delivery window announced?  Perhaps production and printing is faster than I think?   If ML is still designing/testing, how could units possibly ship within 4 weeks?   I'm pretty sure ML said they would post the manual when the release announcement was made?  (might be on their FB page?)  That's why I'm asking about the manual.      

By secrets I mean the testers should be able to tell all at this point?  Unless like you say the NOX is nowhere near ready and the announced release date wishful thinking...  Now that would make sense.  I was hoping to take a NOX on a January Caribbean shallow water treasure hunt- 7 days, 5-7 hours in the water daily... which would have been an interesting NOX test.  I write TH articles and would have loved writing a beaming shallow water Equinox review.  (I suspect the NOX will shine in the sea)  Obviously this now unlikely, despite having a ML dealer friend and it will just have to wait until my next trip.  

Oh and because of how this Equinox saga is unfolding, there really is nothing wrong with those interested in asking silly NOX questions on such a forum.      

I'll take a best guess Cabo. 

Based on the Gold Monster saga when a release date was provided and when it was actually available - I wouldn't put money on the Eq being ready.  I hope it is but might not be.

Physical production of units is the housing, electronics, etc, etc.  The software uploaded into that - the final version may not yet be available.  All the physical units can be made and the software uploaded into each individual unit as it is boxed and shipped.  I would think this won't be the case but you never know. 

The manual.  The gold monster 'manual' was almost a single A4 page that was in the box with the machine.  I expect the Eq manual to be a little more complex but it may just come with a basic start-up guide like they all do and for further information "Please download the e-manual from Minelab.com or request a copy from your dealer when you order".   It is quite possible that the e-manual simply isn't set in stone if the final software version isn't set in stone. 

And until that final software version is set and the manual is uploaded then Steve, JP, Derek and whoever else has held one are just a little hamstrung on what they can say.

But...this is only me guessing :wink:

• Like 2