Target ID Normalization

D&P-OR

Steve-----This question may have been asked & answered before.---If it has, I apologize for asking again.------Does the Equinox have a "normalization" feature?------That it gives the same TID in any of the frequency modes?-----As in---a silver dime (or any coin) will give the same numeric read out in any of the modes?-----I think I said that right. :)-------------Del

• Like 1

Normalization attempts to make identical targets always deliver the same target id number under varied settings and frequencies. These numbers actually change when frequency changes. Some detectors deliver raw numbers that vary with the frequency whereas some detectors attempt to make the numbers consistent for ease of learning and for consistency between different detector models.

The target id numbers on the Equinox are “normalized” across all modes and settings. In general, a U.S. nickel will read 16 in any mode and at any frequency. There is no ability to turn normalization off. However, because the underlying “raw” numbers are shifted mathematically to achieve the desired sameness across all settings, the numbers may shift by a small amount, like maybe one target id number, and only then on certain borderline targets, when switching frequencies or modes. See Understanding Your X-Terra pages 82 and 83.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Is there an ability to see it on a graph like the CTX or is it just a number screen only?